Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under
dillusiv
Enthusiast - Level 1

Im on the grandfathered plan and notice that VZW has throttled my connection, I'm using the "NEHE" app to check YT, Hulu, and see a significant difference. 

17Mb/s vs. 5.3 Mb/s

How do we know VZW isn't throttling our grandfathered plan?  if its true they still throttle then I'm getting ripped off and secondly theres no point in staying on the grandfathered plan might as well move to 5G (which is throttled anyways)

Note /w NEHE: Skype, Whatsapp, etc... aren't throttled, it seems selective.

0 Likes
Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under
mama23dogs
Legend

@dillusiv wrote:

Im on the grandfathered plan and notice that VZW has throttled my connection, I'm using the "NEHE" app to check YT, Hulu, and see a significant difference. 

You mean “Wehe”?    I’ve tested it, and it’s a junk app and a flawed theory behind it.    All else being equal, is service throttled?  Key word ‘EQUAL’  which it’s not.  

17Mb/s vs. 5.3 Mb/s

How do we know VZW isn't throttling our grandfathered plan?  if its true they still throttle then I'm getting ripped off and secondly theres no point in staying on the grandfathered plan might as well move to 5G (which is throttled anyways)

You mean other than this has nothing to do with this thread?   The OPs question was will legacy unlimited users be allowed to use 5g service.  Answer: NO.   To use a 5g device and service, you have to move to a current plan.  

Note /w NEHE: Skype, Whatsapp, etc... aren't throttled, it seems selective.

Again, I’ve tested the app, it’s garbage and they couldn’t prove any throttle.  The developer asked me to test it on At&t.  The developer was testing on a plan that was stated to include ‘stream saver’.   Stream saver reduces video to 480p.  

0 Likes
Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under 5G?
Bridgedw32
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i have been on the unlimited plan for years , and when i bought my nationwide talk and text we only had 3 g in our area, so when the 4 g rolled out i didnt expect my phone to work with it , but it automatically connected to it , so i am assuming the 5g will be the same, as long as the phone is 5g capable . Im still going to buy the 5g pixel 4 xl when it comes out and if it only connects to the existing 4g network fine by me . I'm not going to  let them tell me I have to have a 5 g plan because that wasnt the case 10 years ago.  

0 Likes
Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under 5G?
mama23dogs
Legend

@Bridgedw32 wrote:

So i have been on the unlimited plan for years , and when i bought my nationwide talk and text we only had 3 g in our area, so when the 4 g rolled out i didnt expect my phone to work with it , but it automatically connected to it , so i am assuming the 5g will be the same, as long as the phone is 5g capable . Im still going to buy the 5g pixel 4 xl when it comes out and if it only connects to the existing 4g network fine by me . I'm not going to  let them tell me I have to have a 5 g plan because that wasnt the case 10 years ago.  

If you had been reading, if you buy and activate a 5G phone, you will be put on a compatible data plan.  

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@Bridgedw32 wrote:

If you are going to be doing that, I would offer  you to do a couple of recommendations:

1. DO NOT BUY the phone from a 3rd party seller: Apple, Best buy, Target, authorized Verizon retailer store. Buy the phone directly from a Verizon Customer service representative. You can do this by calling *611 or call 1(800) 922-0204. They can add the phone to your account while you have them on the phone and before they submit your order, you can tell them to make sure your old Nationwide plan is still on your account with the grandfathered unlimited data. If you go through a 3rd party store, they won't have the verizon code internally to keep your old plan on file and might accidentaly remove it from your account.

2. You will know if your grandfathered unlimited data was changed when the NEW PHONE SHIPS. When your phone ships, check your verizon account to make sure your unlimited data has not changed.

3. When your phone arrives to your house or you pick it up in store, DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE! Take the sim card out from the new phone and enter your old sim card in the new phone. If the phone turns on and your unlimited plan is still there. You still have the old unlimited data on your new phone.

Remember that not many people have reported back on doing this method yet as 5G is still new and from what I have read only these new "unlimited" plans have to be enrolled to get access. Which is why I am waiting to see if your method works. If you do go through this, please report back so I can see if it worked as I am waiting myself to upgrade to 5G.

***Also remember that the unthrottled speed is guaranteed for the 700 Mhz spectrum C block open access spectrum. I don't think these guarantees are for 5G as I mentioned earlier that many of us old unlimited data users have not reported back on trying to upgrade.

Good luck! and let's stick it to Verizon for trying to make us upgrade to these new cruddy plans.

Weth
Legend

Even with grandfathered original unlimited plan, video is throttled to 720p, which is why you see the speed difference for video sites.  

Customers on 2017 Unlimited and Legacy Unlimited Data Plans:

You will be able to keep your current unlimited plans. For those who enrolled in Verizon’s 2017 unlimited plan starting in February, video speed throttles now apply: 720p on smartphones, 1080p on all other devices. You will get a free upgrade to 15GB of mobile hotspot usage, up from 10GB.

For customers on Verizon’s original unlimited plan discontinued several years ago, nothing changes except the introduction of video speed throttles: 720p on smartphones, 1080p on all other devices.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@Weth wrote:

Even with grandfathered original unlimited plan, video is throttled to 720p, which is why you see the speed difference for video sites.  

Customers on 2017 Unlimited and Legacy Unlimited Data Plans:

You will be able to keep your current unlimited plans. For those who enrolled in Verizon’s 2017 unlimited plan starting in February, video speed throttles now apply: 720p on smartphones, 1080p on all other devices. You will get a free upgrade to 15GB of mobile hotspot usage, up from 10GB.

For customers on Verizon’s original unlimited plan discontinued several years ago, nothing changes except the introduction of video speed throttles: 720p on smartphones, 1080p on all other devices.

920B5692-D8EC-4E44-A68A-A422B3355725.pngYes, I know all of that. Even if the picture is 720p, it will still look clean without much notice because the screen is so small. The picture above is a screen shot of my phone. 1080P on YouTube with my Verizon unlimited data on a MiFi device. 

Verizon, can you hear me now? Ha ha ha.

0 Likes
Mad101
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes you will be able to keep it the grandfather plan. You have to still jump through the Verizon hoops they put in front of you. Also you will have to argue with a sales person because they will tell you that you have to change. When I bought the iphone xr they tried to tell me I had to. I bought it out right and did not lose it. Yes it is a better plan then any other out there. If you donot know the difference between it and todays people would not say comments like why would you or the new one is cheaper. Yeah it is cheaper but you get what you pay for and the old plan is worth it. I use mine for work and play from coast to coast. Do not get me people should be mad at the people that has the grandfathered plan. Verizon got a free test market out of the grandfathered plan customers. If you are wondering how it w was, we was the first people tthat had to pay full price for phones  and we could not use upgrades. So they used use like laboratory rats and and after a few years charged the rest of their customers full price. But they have been trying to get rid of everyone that still has it sneaky ways from full price phones to not being able to change our plans. I have 450 minutes a month and because I went over my minutes 2 months ago I had a bill that was $800 plus. So in closing I will keep my plan because I can and I have paid my dues so it will be a battle for them to take it from me.

jl8472

"We get a lot of questions of how these legacy plans will be treated in a 5G world. At present time, Verizon has only extended 5G access to current plans, not legacy plans. It is unknown if the carrier will allow swapping of gUDP and pUDP SIMs into 5G devices once they are available. Verizon is under no obligation to allow grandfathered plans to have 5G access, as their terms of open access will not apply to the spectrum they are using for 5G, like it did under their LTE rollout."

I wondered the same thing about 5G.  Apparently Verizon was obligated to give 4G, they are NOT for 5G.  So us gUDP holdouts might be S.O.L.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@jl8472 wrote:

"We get a lot of questions of how these legacy plans will be treated in a 5G world. At present time, Verizon has only extended 5G access to current plans, not legacy plans. It is unknown if the carrier will allow swapping of gUDP and pUDP SIMs into 5G devices once they are available. Verizon is under no obligation to allow grandfathered plans to have 5G access, as their terms of open access will not apply to the spectrum they are using for 5G, like it did under their LTE rollout."

I wondered the same thing about 5G.  Apparently Verizon was obligated to give 4G, they are NOT for 5G.  So us gUDP holdouts might be S.O.L.

Where did you get that quote from? I agree with you about us being S.O.L. They were forced to follow stick stipulations when they won the auction against Google for the 700 MHz spectrum. It is better to take a wait game until Verizon finally addresses our gUDP, but worst outcome is that you won't be able to get a 5G device. Fine by me, as more people leave the 4G network and leave to 5G, 4G network will be less congested for us that are on it so I assume we'll get higher speeds. The benefits of keeping gUDP still outweigh the negative benefits:

1. Unlimited GB of tethering

2. Can put SIM card in any 4G device

3. Not subject to deprioritized congestion like these new "unlimited" plans.

0 Likes