Verizon 5g home internet router options
Halcyon9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I have set up Verizon 5g home internet, and getting good speeds close to the router. Since I have a four floor townhouse the coverage is poor on other floors even with the mini extender. 
Can I set up a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 system with the Verizon 5g home service? Any compatibility issues? 

Re: Verizon 5g home internet router options
telnetdoogie
Enthusiast - Level 3

You should be able to run an Orbi just fine, but you'll need to use the Orbi in 'Wireless AP (Access Point)' mode instead of as a traditional router to avoid double NAT issues if you do any muliplayer gaming. (If you're not into gaming this might not be an issue) -  If you set up a mesh network with Orbi, you'll probably want to disable the WiFi on the Verizon 5G Gateway and use Orbi to manage the WiFi and mesh instead, since I have found no way to register an Orbi as an AP / extender for the gateway.

telnetdoogie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update for you... I actually added an Orbi AX6000 (RBK850) to my network with the 5G Home Internet Gateway. I ran into a ton of problems with the Orbi. Not sure if it was 5G coexistence stuff or what, but I ended up returning the Orbi after 2 weeks. The nice thing about the Orbi is that it has a 2.5Gbps WAN port so you can connect it to the verizon gateway and get >1Gbps speed to the orbi system... the downside is that Orbi is really glitchy (or at least it was for me) - Some of the issues I had: periodic internet unreachable even when wifi signals were good... ecobee and Lutron (IoT devices) unable to connect to the internet... issue with staying connected on an Android 10 tablet device.

The Orbi are nice hardware-wise, but the software needs work. If you want to add Access Points I'd recommend with going with something cheaper and more reliable. $700 for the 2-station (one router, one satellite) Orbi 850 is way too much for something with so many problems.

lifeasandythompson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Worked for me with the Eero Pro 6 mesh. 

The mesh was pre-existing. I wired it into my Verizon router (ask-ncq1338), put the Eero in the DMZ on the Verizon router, disabled wifi on the Verizon router and I was golden. Eero mesh supplies the wifi only.

/adt
Arisp69

How did you disable the wifi on verizon router?

I connected my eero mesh to the verizon gateway and I suppose i need to put the eero's ip address in the DMZ but I don't know how to disable the wifi on the verizon gateway. When I think i've done it, I get an intermittent red light on the verizon gateway.

0 Likes
muel0813

The same thing happened to me. I was able to disable the wifi from the Verizon router, but it still gave me problems and just stopped working. Any suggestions on additional settings I need to change on my Verizon router or my mesh system?

0 Likes
bearsfan001122

Any issues with the Orbi in AP mode? What speed difference did you notice, from using the Verizon gateway vs the Orbi?

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes