How do I keep my original 'beyond unlimited" plan after jetpack purchase?
firemanfritz_1882

I have a "beyond unlimited" plan which expire 1/8/2020 and I just purchased an M1000 jetpack at full price, then asked the salesman if my renewal in 79 days would still be this same plan and was told yes. It seems from these posts that I should be prepared to do some extra steps to keep my original plan in place. Is my understanding correct ?

Please help as this is very important for me to keep my mobile hot spot affordable as I travel constantly across the United States & Canada to attend Firemens events as a Color Guard and administrator of a foundation in a motorcoach. So I need this wireless service which acts very much like my cell phone.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thank you !

0 Likes
Re: have a "beyond unlimited" planRe: Keeping grandfathered unlimited plans with new 5G phones
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your plan doesn't expire when your service contract ends. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: have a "beyond unlimited" planRe: Keeping grandfathered unlimited plans with new 5G phones
mama23dogs
Legend

@firemanfritz_1882 wrote:

I have a "beyond unlimited" plan which expire 1/8/2020 and I just purchased an M1000 jetpack at full price, then asked the salesman if my renewal in 79 days would still be this same plan and was told yes. It seems from these posts that I should be prepared to do some extra steps to keep my original plan in place. Is my understanding correct ?

Please help as this is very important for me to keep my mobile hot spot affordable as I travel constantly across the United States & Canada to attend Firemens events as a Color Guard and administrator of a foundation in a motorcoach. So I need this wireless service which acts very much like my cell phone.

Your plan does not expire, it continues month to month as long as you choose to continue it.  Any service contracts on phones or installment purchases have no effect on plans.  
You don't have to do anything, except enjoy a lower bill if your phones are paid off.

0 Likes
Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited plans with new 5G phones
Gregg3Gs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G active on the Nationwide Talk & Text 900 plan, with legacy unlimited "email & web" data. I first signed up for this plan in 2009; Verizon stopped offering it to new subscribers in 2011.

The main benefit of the legacy plan is your data is never throttled or deprioritized, regardless of whether your are in a 3G, 4G, or 5G coverage area. This is true for both handset data and mobile hotspot data. Note that use of the mobile hotspot for the Nationwide plans is a flat monthly extra charge of $30, before any applicable discounts, but for this you get unlimited high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. I don't have wi-fi in my apartment, I just use my phone as wi-fi for my laptop and other devices.

All of Verizon's currently offered plans have caps above which handset data may be deprioritized (0 GB, 25 GB, 50 GB, or 75 GB) when the network is busy, and above which hotspot data will be throttled (15 GB or 30 GB) to dial-up speeds, regardless of whether the network is busy or tranquil.

However, with the currently offered plans, a user with a 5G capable device, who is in a geographical area covered by 5G service, and who has activated the 5G feature on the line (might be at extra charge or included as a promotion), can receive unlimited high-speed handset and hotspot data. Start Unlimited does not allow any hotspot usage, nor does it include any premium 4G LTE data.

If you switch to a current plan, you live in an area with 5G coverage, have a 5G device, and have the 5G feature active on your line, it will be quite enjoyable while you are in that area. The problem is, when you travel outside the 5G area, your data will be subject to the limitations that all the current Unlimited plans carry. With Nationwide Talk & Text, your data (handset or hotspot) is never deprioritized or throttled anywhere for any reason, regardless of where you travel.

Also, all current unlimited plans restrict video streaming to 480p DVD or 720p HD quality, whereas the legacy Nationwide plan will allow streaming at the best possible video quality, such as 1080p.

It does not appear it is possible to make use of the 5G capability when such a device is active on a legacy Nationwide line. Under "explore add-ons," there is no option to add the 5G access, neither for free nor at extra cost. However, the device can indeed at least be activated on the Nationwide plan, it will just be limited to 4G LTE, even when in a 5G area. When purchasing or activating the device, you may be unable to take advantage of certain special promotions or pricing, as these may require switching to a currently offered plan. Take special care to explicitly inform the Verizon representative that you do not, under any circumstances, wish to switch from your legacy Nationwide plan. I would try to pay for the entire device outright, and not try to do a payment plan. I would  also strongly encourage you to avoid involving a third-party retailer in any way with the purchase or activation of your new device, as they are more apt to bungle it and inadvertently switch you to an unwanted plan, and your ability to get a mistake rectified is severely diminished when it was done by a third-party retailer. Only deal with Verizon corporate itself, a practice I have meticulously always adhered to for anything related to my cell service or equipment.

But yes, you can activate a 5G capable device on the legacy Nationwide plan. I have that situation right now.

MmWave
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Greg, are you able to take advantage of the 5g network on your old plan or is it stuck on 5g? Have you been on a 5g tower for sure?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes