Re: slow data after switching to unlimited
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SLAM522, ensuring that your phone, and the network are working optimally is important to us. What zip code are you experiencing these issues in? What is the make and model of the phone you are using? If run as speed test via http://www.openspeedtest.com, what speed results do you get?

Nicandro_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bremarie1020
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I'm as frustrated as you are. We switched to this plan after speaking to a customer service rep who said nothing about "throttling". Just that we would now be unlimited and free to use as we would like. Our bill went up big time and yet, our phones are now unusable!!! I cant even load pictures people send me anymore, and forget about social media! Takes about 10 minutes to get facebook to refresh. Plus it's not even unlimited..I found out after calling back that they cut us off or slow us down or something after a certain amount. Just so frustrating, we are going to have to switch. We were completely mislead by the rep.

BULLCITYDAVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the frustration everyone is reporting. Feel validated that this is a real issue, and it makes me angry that Verizon support pretends it's some surprise by asking for people's zipcodes and devices. After traveling for a month and relying on tethering and my 4G a lot more, I had some overages, so I switched to unlimited, and the bandwidth has been abysmal. I am only using 5-10GB/month. Download/upload speeds that were once 10gbps/3gbps are now <1/<1 consistently. And of course my bill is now $30/month more. Since the back-and-forth over forums and Twitter will be painstaking, I suppose I'll just go to a store to try to find answers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BULLCITYDAVE, your network experience with data speeds is important to ensure you are able to use your phone while traveling at the best price. Our goal is to provide the best resolution based on the cause of the slow speeds. Some customers may be impacted by various issues related to the area, so we want to ensure that is reviewed. Aside from that, the speeds can be slowed down during times of congestion after reaching a certain amount of data in a billing cycle. The Beyond plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/beyond-unlimited-faqs/ provides 15GB of a hotspot at 4G speeds and then speeds are reduced to 600 Kbps for the rest of the cycle. The Above plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/above-unlimited-faqs/ provides 20GB of 4G speeds before the speeds are reduced for the rest of the cycle. We would like to find out more since it was mentioned that you only used about 5-10GB per month. Did the speeds improve during certain times of the day? Did you notice faster speeds after moving to another location?

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BULLCITYDAVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have NOT used a significant amount of data in my billing cycle. As of

right now:

Total data used by [removed]

3.51 GB total data used

1.86 GB hotspot data used

After 20 GB, hotspot speeds are reduced to up to 600 kbps.

This has been ALL over Durham since I upgraded to unlimited, int he same

locations that, for the prior few months, I had no problems with tethering.

So these "periods of congestion" appear to be any time during the workday

now that I'm on unlimited, and this just isn't acceptable. I'm very

disappointed

If I don't notice a chance in the next couple of weeks, I'll be downgrading

back to my old data plan and using another network and device for hotspot.

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

BULLCITYDAVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just switched to Beyond Unlimited, since I see I'm only supposed to get

460kbps tethering with plain Unlimited, which is horrible. The basic

unlimited plan is a joke, and I'll probably switch over to another service

soon. Not happy with Verizon. You can close this ticket.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This isn't a ticket. It is a public discussion thread on a community forum. Only the OP (which you are not) or an administrator can mark the thread as answered.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

BULLCITYDAVE wrote:

I just switched to Beyond Unlimited, since I see I'm only supposed to get

460kbps tethering with plain Unlimited, which is horrible. The basic

unlimited plan is a joke, and I'll probably switch over to another service

soon. Not happy with Verizon. You can close this ticket.

Just be sure to take a look at the provider you choose, because they ALL have different tiers of unlimited with the lowest tier ALSO like Verizon's. If you are leaving Verizon simply because they have a low cost unlimited plan which does not meet your needs to switch to another provider which ALSO has a low cost unlimited plan with the same restrictions, kind of makes one scratch their head...

0 Likes
BULLCITYDAVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not true. I had unlimited with T-Mobile, and the the tethered speeds were

fine. I left them because call quality was poor.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 6:51 AM rcschnoor <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

BULLCITYDAVE wrote:

Not true. I had unlimited with T-Mobile, and the the tethered speeds were

fine. I left them because call quality was poor.

I would be curious as to what about my statement is untrue? From T-Mobile's website, there appears to be AT LEAST 3 different tiers of unlimited data plans. T-Mobile Essentials, T-Mobile One and T-Mobile One Plus. Those 3 tiers of unlimited data come with different speeds/restrictions on phone data AND hotspot data.

So yes, your tethered speeds may have been fine, but you may not have been on the lowest tier of unlimited data at T-Mobile. MY tethered data speeds on Verizon are just fine, too, but I am ALSO not on the lowest tier of unlimited data. The complaint I responded to was because the speeds on the LOWEST tier of Verizon's unlimited data were not sufficient for the poster. Looking at T-Mobile's tethering on the T-Mobile Essentials unlimited data plan, the tethering speed is limited to a max of 3G at all times. It is likely MANY people would ALSO find that unsatisfactory.

Or are you saying that tethered data at 3G speeds is "fine"????

0 Likes