Xbox Live on 4G?
sHaDyMuPpEt602

I use my Qwest internet less and less since I upgraded to 4G to the point where it's main use is for Xbox Live. We went to DVD only for Netflix since their streaming selection blows too much to pay 7.99 for it. So I'm seriously thinking of dropping my land internet completely and using my 4G phone as a modem for my xbox.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Do you need a special router to connect phone and xbox wirelessly?

(Don't even mention hotspot unless you know how to do it for free, i pay enough for the phone and the data package)

My main concern is ping, 4G is fast DL/UL but I haven't seen many high marks for network latency. Anything over 200ms is too slow for FPS, I mainly play Black Ops.

Anyone done this yet?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Xbox Live on 4G?
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to this the answer is yes.  Verizon's 4G LTE: A Capable Gaming Connection

0 Likes
sHaDyMuPpEt602

That's the must useful article ive found yet on this. Looks pretty capable. I just hope that verizon adjusts their data tiers by the time my contract comes up in 21 months, bandwidth isnt a problem for me until that happens. I find more and more people who are looking to combine their home and phone internet provider; Verizon could tap a potentially huge market with high-limit data plans for $35-ish/mo (What i currently pay for qwest via promo rate.)

0 Likes
WildcatCop

I have a Verizon MiFi 4510L which I got just for playing on Xbox Live. You don't need a router because your Xbox wireless connection will find the MiFi and you connect to it once you have set up the proper settings. The process is just like setting up the Xbox with a router.

I live in Florida and my ping rate is always between 125 to 135 ms. I play alot of Call of Duty games and I really haven't seen any issues. I'v played for 3 hours straight with no real problems. My ping rate is not the best but it is acceptable.

0 Likes
Mazstermind

I currently am using Verizon as  my isp via hotspot. Id like to get back to gaming and am intersted in 4G. My question...Is it a good idea to use 4G for xbox live being that you only get 5gigs a month for $50? Ive never tried to figure how many gigs a month i use, tho I know its more than that.

0 Likes
Paul77
Contributor - Level 1
Even though this is solved i hope you respond back. Do not use the 4g for gaming you will eat through you data way to fast i went through 4 gig in 2weeks.
0 Likes