VERIZON HAS NO ANSWER FOR HIGH DATA USAGE
geneveve2

I have emailed and called MANY times after learning that I can no way afford to use the hotbox they sold me. Let me start from the beginning.

Sitting in a Verizon store letting a sales lady give me the ins and outs of how one of these hot box things work, I bought a plan b/c I needed internet and a phone.

She SAID it was a 1 year plan. She said I could cancel if I moved to an area they had no coverage. I specifically asked about this because I was in South Dakota helping my sis who had brain cancer. I didn't know how long I would be there AND my real home was in a remote area of WYOMING, where the coverage map showed NO COVERAGE. Her LIES would be put to the test!

First, it was a 2 year plan she was having me sign while telling me straight out it was 12 months! I have bad vision and stated this to her as I asked, How long is this contract?" "12 months", she said. Secondly, my sis responded well to chemo and did get better rapidly so I moved home.

As I knew the hot box or the phone did not work UNLESS I drove up the road to a cow pasture and connected!

I called to CXL the contract as I was told that I could do. What a run-around! That went over like a lead balloon. I was given NO OPTIONS! All I could do was pay for service that was only being used if I DROVE to a place that I got service! I could not use either my phone or this box in my home.

I paid for MONTHS!

Eventually I relocated to Arizona where I could use this box. BUT I found out that I could not afford to use it. The data used was INSANE!!!!!

I called. Verizon gave me the "do you have auto update on" and basically the run around song and dance.

That began in Nov. 2013. I was promised everything from a tech would look into to it to...they would adjust my bill.

NOPE! My bill was a couple dollars shy of $200 for 1 month.

There is NO WAY that I used the data they claimed. I know this for a fact now as I went with another internet provider and have been seeing the data used chart they provide and it is not even close to the data used that VERIZON claimed I used. I used BOTH the same way!

Furthermore, I added a speed meter program that constantly monitors data used and it matches what the new service says I use.

Let me point out, VERIZON claims that I used up 4 GB in 7 days! In 7 days of the new service AND looking at the meter of data usage, in 7 days, I used 1.79GB. This is DOCUMENTED and I actually was online more and uploaded updates. (over 80 were waiting b/c my PC is not set for automatic updates and I was afraid to let it be while using VERIZON!)

From going through threads today and reading all the complaints about outrageous and unexplainable date usage, I see this is an ONGOING and LONG TIME problem that Verizon is IGNORING. (I thought it was just me that they have blowed off MANY times)

Verizon-You will be reported to BBB. The way that you determine data is a mystery and it just can not be that it is INSANELY as high as you charge!

I am compiling every note that I jotted down with NAMES of people I spoke to on behalf of VERIZON and what they said. I saved every email correspondence. AND I have also printed every complaint on your own web page. I will file a complaint against you.

YOU ARE FAILING YOUR CUSTOMERS VERIZON. I received no solid answers, only promises that it would be looked into. It was NOT!

I want reimbursement for being over charged! I also want repayment of the MONTHS that I was not able to use my hotbox or phone because YOU did not provide overage NOR would you let me out of the contract. This is easily proved by my address and usage while in Wyoming.

Final note: The 1 and only time you will find any sort of customer service from Verizon is when they are hooking you into a contract. Even then, it still turned out sour as it was LIES!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VERIZON HAS NO ANSWER FOR HIGH DATA USAGE
RMRoth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello geneveve,

I've been fighting the same battle for the past 18 months, you are soooo correct; they have or at least offer NO explanation of the gross high data usage and in deed seems to be a great money machine for them. I've seen in another post (I haven't verified this as of yet) that there is an arbitration clause that prevents any kind of class action suite; I am still going to explore this avenue as I've found countless complaints of the same problem. Local PC and or JetPack logs totaled come no where near the overages Verizon claims. I've recorded plenty over the past 18 months and finally just paid early termination fee for the hotspot device contract and selected a new provider. I took it as high as the regional VP of customer support which at least so far went no where. She had a staff member look into it who tried contacting me by phone twice when I wasn't available and all my calls to her always just went into voice mail. I'm trying to collect information from others on this; if you want you can send info to: (removed)

By the way, I hope your sister is doing well...

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

The situation here is although you cannot file a class action, you do not have to arbitrate you can bring a single right of action, since you are not talking money back that leaves only a state supreme court or civil court action. Both of which a lawyer would be required.

If money then small claims court is the proper venue. Never opt for arbitration! Never, never, never. You stand a better chance in a court.

Good Luck

0 Likes
bad55

i to have fallen prey to the data trap. On Jan 3 my wife and my phones alerted to data overages while we were in bed that night, the next morning jan 4 start of new cycle i ck'd online and could not see what overages were about but saw that of our 10 gb plan over 5 gb were already used. trip to local store, they said can't be and said they saw no overage but have to call tech support to take care of,on hold forever finally got andre at tech support in little rock ark who ck'd and definitely assured both my wife and i there was no overage only 8.2 gig used on 10 plan but would not remove the over 5 gb used on new cycle in less than 12 hrs because of all the reasons, auto downloads etc.,and told us to monitor closely the rest of cycle. Receive next bill to our shock $150 charge for "previously unbilled charges" and also only showed 3.82 gb data usage for the month which would be about right because we were afraid to use it because they had already showed we had used over 5 the first day. Back to store, they said not right call billing,9 am feb 10 talked to danny in billing who said it was roaming and i said i wanted itemized charge as i haven't been anywhere i don't normally go, on hold, Ron of tech support comes on and said it was a 9 gig overage on jan2-3 of which i said no, Andre had already ck'd that, ron finally ck'd records and saw Andres notes and saw we had indeed been told no overage but didn't seem to agree, Ron would not let me speak to higher authority, said he would file report to billing and i would be contacted shortly, no one has replied yet and overcharge is still on bill.We never have overages and we always pay on time and have for years, evidently loyalty doesn't count for much.Furthermore my ssn number has been linked to a fraudulent account and a phone call to Rena at customer support onJan 10 at 10:45 am i was told that fraud dept would be in contact with me and that hasn't happened either, Im beginning to think our monthly annuity to Verizon doesn't matter any more, maybe its time to change.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I must be on Verizon's "Do not rip off list" that's the only explanation for my data usage being correct for years on end month after month.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

You must be one of the lucky ones. I don't even have smart phones. I have old fashioned flip phones. But I do use a Jetpak for my home internet because no cable here. I just had a 1.4 GB usage on my Jetpak when my computer was turned off. Figure that one out.

0 Likes
wk4vacay
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to agree with you MUST be on the "Do not rip off plan" because BEFORE I went to the new iPhone 5 I was on the older Unlimited Plan and I never even went 1/2 near 2Gig for over 5+yrs.  Now... 10 days into the month and I'm at 90%.  I get off work at 4:30pm driving to pick up my daughter but somehow misteriously I use almost 1Gig while driving down the freeway ALONE with phone in purse!!!  This seems to happen every other month...  I get a company discount so I guess Verizon wants their $$ back and they are getting it any way they can!!!  Yes, something needs to be done about this.  I have been a dedicated customer all these years and now getting ripped off.  Well if everyone who's getting ripped off leaves...

duetto

"I know this for a fact now as I went with another internet provider and have been seeing the data used chart they provide and it is not even close to the data used that VERIZON claimed I used. I used BOTH the same way!

Furthermore, I added a speed meter program that constantly monitors data used and it matches what the new service says I use."

hi,

can you tell us which provider you switched to?

john (in the same boat)

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you're using Verizon wireless for internet then your other option would be satellite. Because anyone with DSL or cable as an option would be using that.

0 Likes