The "Extended 4G " is a Verizon scam
tzhou

I have been using the Samsung droid charge for more than a month. Beofre I signed up, I checked on Verizon web site which indicated my area is within an "Extended 4G" area. However, I can only get at most 3 bars of 3G signal. I thought that may be due to I was checking the signal inside the house or my house is at a blind spot. But I checked signal around our community during "after diner walks", I could not detect any spot that has 4G signal. Verizon should correct its coverage map  and stop misleading customers with the so-called "extended 4G".

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: The "Extended 4G " is a Verizon scam
Not applicable

Hi there!

If you are having issues with your 4G service in a verified 4G area, please Contact Us to get this resolved.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

That is why the map web site states the following:

These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy.

0 Likes
tzhou

I fully understand that fine prints.

But if there is no 4g signal detected by a Verizon-sold 4G device in most places of the so called "extended 4g area" like my neighborhood, then verizon should consider either remove the "4G..." or improve the signal.

0 Likes
bonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

How far away do you have to travel to get 4G from your neighborhood?  Some devices will see a 4g signal but if it's weak or has lots of errors transmitting it won't switch to it.  The threshold varies depending on the device you are using and such.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I looked up Boyds, it is a ways out from the dark red 4G coverage. Granted it is in the extended area though based on the map.

0 Likes
Ed1956

I have the same issue, on my town that is a big red dot saying 4G available, phone would not get 4G even at verizon store which is in Town.

I call the Verizon 4G (extra $$$) extended map a big farse, worst in my case that the 3G keeps dropping and the only solution is to re-start the phone....

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi there!

If you are having issues with your 4G service in a verified 4G area, please Contact Us to get this resolved.

Thank you!

0 Likes
tzhou

Thanks for your response.

I will contact VZW to report my problems with 4G here. I have tested around our area (~a community with ~800 houses) which was shown as 'extended 4g area", ~1 mile away from "real 4g". Most of the places only have 3g signal (~90 dbm, 45%), sometimes, show 1x. Few spots do occasionally show 4G, but when I tried to do Speed Test, my phone showed "network comminication issues".

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

Did anyone ever consider to call VZW for starters? Maybe the tower that supports your area is not working properly and they might like to know this. How are they going to know or correct issues when nobody will pick up the phone and call in.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good Morning everyone!

As you may or may not know, a typical 'extended network' exists due to our partnerships with other carriers in those areas. In the case with 4G extended networks, we are using our network; it's available and has been tested under unblemished conditions. Many things can have a negative affect on wireless signal transmissions.

The 4G map on our website has this to say about Extended Coverage: "Access the 4G LTE network within the Extended Coverage Area; certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area".

We are rapidly expanding and strengthening our 4G network across the country so this will not always be the case!

Have a great day!

0 Likes