Sudden loss of coverage in home? Will network extender correct?
ZoomJag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Zip code 80005 - my LG G2 pretty much lost 4G and 3G coverage about a month ago (in my home), which I thought I could blame on lollipop, but alas, no.  Other people in my neighborhood are discussing the same issue with a variety of devices.  I have two other people in my home with Verizon phones and as of this week they can no longer make/receive calls inside either.

Would a Network Extender help 4G or is it just an amplifier for 3G?  This account is like 25 years old (predates actual Verizon Wireless) and I would consider getting rid of it now because the issue is so severe (on my best day, I can get two 3G bars, outside).

I'd also ask if I did have a network extender in my home, if I placed it in my attic, would it assist my immediate neighbors reception?

Thank you,

Dale

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sudden loss of coverage in home? Will network extender correct?
rcschnoor
Legend

I think 15 feet is a bit of an underestimate. It states it covers a 5000 square foot area, so that means a radius of ~40 feet from the extender in all directions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It sounds like perhaps some building has gone on in your immediate area or near the actual tower that has caused interference.

An extender would boost your service, but you should read about the extender:

Samsung Network Extender (SCS-2U01)- Verizon Wireless

It boost 3G service and unless your neighbors are within 15 feet of your extender it wouldn't help them, though I've read on here of a poster who picked up a range extender 60+ feet away; though it didn't work and only made their phone worse.

It needs to be plugged into your router so unless that's in your attic you wouldn't be able to just put it wherever you want. I believe it works best while facing South.

If you have a decent Wi-Fi you could download an app on your phone to help make calls over Wi-Fi and also text messages.

0 Likes
Re: Sudden loss of coverage in home?  Will network extender correct?
ZoomJag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question, how sure are you about the fifteen foot range of the extender?  My fear is that my home is sixty feet wide, and four floors.  Having to be connected to the router in my home, and a fifteen foot range would mean currently that it would be of no value to have.

Thank you~

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I think 15 feet is a bit of an underestimate. It states it covers a 5000 square foot area, so that means a radius of ~40 feet from the extender in all directions.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Likely the radiation pattern is not omni-directional. Also, you have to stick the GPS receiver in a window don't you, so the extender might have to be up against a wall and a lot of the coverage area is effectively reduced, depending upon where it's deployed.

I could see people having problems with this thing in their homes. Might work acceptably in one room, and be absolutely horrific almost everywhere else. I hi-gain antenna might help...

There's seldom a free lunch.

rcschnoor
Legend

I think it is likely to be somewhat omnidirectional. Additionally, the included GPS extension cable lets you place the device somewhere other than next to an exterior wall. The device should be able to cover the majority of an average sized house.

0 Likes
stella77

What is the app called to connect thru wifi to make calls? I currently have the same issue. Except i can receive/send text sometimes

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend
0 Likes
Re: Sudden loss of coverage in home?  Will network extender correct?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I personally like WhatsApp, but the downside is that the other person must also have the app if you wish to call them.

0 Likes
Dogbruiser

We went through that with Verizon. Since we are using the Berizon hub for internet they said the extender wouldn’t work. 

0 Likes