Slow to nonexistent data coverage in South San Jose, CA - along Curie Dr and Cottle Rd.
aadamowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the area where I live, in South San Jose, CA, the data coverage is very poor. Sometimes the data transfer doesn't work for several minutes, sometimes, you just get to transfer a few kb within a few minutes if you're lucky. This is within the municipal area of San Jose, the 3rd most poulous city in California.

I have drawn up the approximate area affected in Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/A6pJXl

This is substandard service from Verizon. I would appreciate any advice on how to file a proper complaint with Verizon and whether things like this are also appropriate for a formal complaint to FCC.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow to nonexistent data coverage in South San Jose, CA - along Curie Dr and Cottle Rd.
aadamowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe this fits into the scope of this discussion from 4 years ago and the issue still applies today:Silicon Valley, home of the SLOWEST 4G LTE Verizon data speeds

That discussion has been marked as "Outdated" and locked, but it doesn't seem that Verizon has ever properly addressed the problems discussed therein.

0 Likes
Re: Slow to nonexistent data coverage in South San Jose, CA - along Curie Dr and Cottle Rd.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your wireless experience is important to us. We would like to get to the bottom of this for you. Is the issue happening in a specific location or does it follow you 5-10 miles or more? We can gather information and help you here but for immediate assistance you want to call 800-922-0204. This forum isn't set for instant responses. BobbyN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
aadamowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue happens in the specific area the borders of which I have drawn in the Google Maps, at the aforementioned link: Poor Verizon data coverage area

Following up on that, I have made several tests in various spots of that area and published a detailed writeup:

Verizon South San Jose Speed Test - Google Docs

0 Likes
Snowbunee

I've lived in my south San Jose home for over 10 years and have horrible coverage here as well. Phone calls drop. MMS messages take ages to send or receive. It's frustrating when I can't use basic services at my own home but it's also true for much of the surrounding area. From Cottle Rd and south is an approximation. Is there some sort of antenna or something I can install to improve reception? I don't want to switch carriers but it is really absurd that in 2019 in a major suburb, in silicon valley, coverage is still this bad. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of having service where you need it the most, Snowbunee. We do want to help in any way we can. To get assistance with trouble shooting this issue, please contact us directly https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/contact-us/

We do offer a device called a Network Extender, however, most phones can actually use Wi-Fi to improve service at a home location instead of relying on that device. Most phones have Wi-Fi Calling available, as well as access to our Message+ app that would allow text messages to be used over Wi-Fi as well. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes