Slow LTE speeds in the LA and greater LA area?
Jedizoomer

Hi guys.  So I live in South Pasadena, CA, and for the past week or so I've noticed that the LTE speed on my phone has slowed than tremendously.  Whereas before I would have no problem downloading apps, watching Youtube videos, streaming music on Pandora and Rhapsody, now I can barely get these services.  At times, videos load, and at other times, they don't load at all.  Or, I'm in the middle of watching a video and/or listening to a song, and it stops.  I've tried turning the phone off and on, taking out the SIM card and putting it back, wiping the phone completely, making sure that it is set to "LTE mode," and this has not done the trick.  Oh, and I have an iPhone 5s, 32GB.  I'm updated to IOS 7.1.2.  I have even tried driving around to other areas, like Orange County, and my phone still has this problem.  When I connect my phone to WiFi, no problem.  But when I switch back to Verizon's network, I get the problem mentioned.  I was wondering if anyone on here who lives in LA, or the greater LA area, has noticed this.  I took my phone to the Apple store today, and the guy brought out another iPhone 5s, and the network was slow on this phone as well.  When he showed me his iPhone 5s (he had ATT as his carrier, however), no problem.  So I don't know if anyone has reported this, or if it is just my phone.  I called Verizon customer service two nights ago, and the rep told me that there were no outages, and that no one else has complained of this.  So I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is also experiencing this problem with their LTE speeds.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Slow LTE speeds in the LA and greater LA area?
Llihpnewob

I'm in Norwalk and I'm having the same problem. I'm getting download speeds that are slower than dial up. If you download the speed test app (you will have to be connected to wifi, cause LTE is way too slow to download it) you can see what speeds you are getting. I'm getting, consistently, .02 megabits per second download speed. Verizon 4G is supposed to be upwards of 5.0 MBPS. I'm not paying my bill until this PROBLEM is fixed. Verizon charges way too much money for service this poor!

0 Likes
LA4GUser

This has been an issue with Verizon for years. I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in downtown Los Angeles, and both places have horrendous 4G speeds. I've already been through a Galaxy Nexus and an HTC One trying to get good 4G speed until figuring out that Verizon is just awful slow. I don't care how many times you pull the SIM, it's not going to make Verizon stop throttling bandwidth and overselling their network. The best speed I've ever had in three years is 0.7Mbps, or about the speed of DSL. It's normally around 0.3Mbps. Oddly, the upload speed is always around 5Mbps.

0 Likes
pixelrebel
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is happening to me too.  About two weeks ago LTE just dropped off.  Here's the results of my speed tests this week:

Mon 8/18 - 0.46 Down, 5.89 Up (culver city)

Mon 8/18 - 0.15 Down, 1.24 Up (LAX)

Tue 8/19 - 0.18 Down, 6.75 Up (culver city)

Tue 8/19 - 0.32 Down, 7.25 Up (LAX)

Wed 8/20 - 1.2 Down, 8.76 Up (culver city)

Wed 8/20 - 0.54 Down, 4.87 Up (LAX)

Thu 8/21 - 0.37 Down, 7.27 Up (culver city)

I'm so glad I found this thread because customer service immediately thinks its my phone.  They told me to clear my browser history, what the hell??  Where can I go to get a serious answer?

I have an iPhone5 running iOS 6.1.4.  My wife is on an iPhone5s running iOS 7.1.2 and she is experiencing the same issues.

0 Likes
ismaelrvs

I'm in the same boat in the LA area, it was all working great at good speeds and suddenly it just slowed down since last week. The odd thing for me is that when I check the SpeedTest app the speed shows a solid 15MBPS down and 18 up, but when I try to browse the internet pages just hang for awhile before loading, Spotify or iTunes radio cuts off during songs and videos won't load on YouTube. I'm starting to believe that Verizon has started throttling unlimited data customers, which I am. Is everybody else here also on unlimited data plans?

0 Likes
pixelrebel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not unlimited, and I'm getting really slow speeds,  last night near LAX I got 0.01 Down and 0.53 Up.

Even though it feels like Verizon is throttling, that's not exactly the case in regards to the speed test anomaly you're seeing.  This just means that Verizon has established a high quality direct line to the hosts that participate in speed tests.   Yes, it is still completely shady.  Meanwhile, they refuse to setup these direct interconnects to Netflix, unless they pay for it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pixelrebel,

We definitely want you to be able to enjoy the LTE service you deserve. This is definitely odd  but we'd like to take a look at this. Was the speed test done indoors? Do the speeds improve in any other locations? If so, how far from home? What device make and model?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Llihpnewob

My service is slow everywhere, indoors and out. I have Iphone 5. the speeds im getting consistantly are between .01 and .07 MBPS. When I run my speed test, it shows that my service is coming from fullerton.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Llihpnewob,

Thanks for the reply and the information provided. Those speeds are definitely odd, let's get to the bottom of this. How long has this been going on? Are you up to date with software? Any device damage? Lastly, please follow these steps http://vz.to/Q7XEOV. Does it improve speeds?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
jisamcom

No connection of LTE, 3G At all in Fullerton, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs Area in California.

Do something Verizon !!!

If this won't be better in few months, i won't be your customer anymore...

0 Likes