Slow 4G speeds at University of New Mexico
jasonph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can get 70+ Mbps download speed at home around 5 miles away. I go to school at UNM and get 2 Mbps if I'm lucky. I take classes where I need to be online and using a public wifi is not my favorite thing to do. I'm told this may be a congestion at the tower. Why would this happen over the summer. I was here last semester up until mid May and it worked fine. I am using a Galaxy S7. Any clarification why this is happening?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow 4G speeds at University of New Mexico
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for being a loyal customer and giving us the opportunity to help. Many factors outside of Verizon’s control can contribute to indoor performance even in cases where you may have had service in the past.

Coverage may vary day to day due to a variety of reasons such as cell site changes, foliage, construction, population changes, and interference. In this area, you may have trouble making a phone call or using your service.

We do have a lot of data customers on the UNM campus and the sites do tend to get loaded during peak times. Also, indoor coverage can be variable due to the adobe/thick walled nature of some UNM buildings. In short, coverage and speeds can be variable. We are working with UNM to bring enhancements to the campus, especially indoors through the use of small cells and spider cloud deployments, to improve the overall customer experience.

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!                       

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the importance of having data especially when you are at school Jasonph. What is your zip code? Is anyone else having issues? Do you have service outside of the school?

AmberF_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jasonph
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Amber,

The zip code at school is 87131. I get the same slow service on 4gLTE inside and outside of buildings. It has been consistent every time I am at school. I'm not sure if anyone else is having the issue. I started last tuesday and the speeds have been slow this whole time. I am here all day and even when I leave at 7 pm, they are still slow. I get super awesome speeds when I go home, but that's not why I am paying for all the data on my plan.

Jason

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for being a loyal customer and giving us the opportunity to help. Many factors outside of Verizon’s control can contribute to indoor performance even in cases where you may have had service in the past.

Coverage may vary day to day due to a variety of reasons such as cell site changes, foliage, construction, population changes, and interference. In this area, you may have trouble making a phone call or using your service.

We do have a lot of data customers on the UNM campus and the sites do tend to get loaded during peak times. Also, indoor coverage can be variable due to the adobe/thick walled nature of some UNM buildings. In short, coverage and speeds can be variable. We are working with UNM to bring enhancements to the campus, especially indoors through the use of small cells and spider cloud deployments, to improve the overall customer experience.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
jasonph
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tamara,

You say Verizon is working with UNM to bring enhancements to the campus to improve the overall customer experience. How long has this been in the works and how long should it take to get these improvements in place? How long am I to be expected to pay for data that I purchased to use as a hotspot, but cannot use it because it is too slow? I apologize for the tone, but this is very frustrating to be on a public wifi network when I should have my own coming from my phone. Thank you for the updates.

Sincerely,

Jason

0 Likes