Slow 4G LTE speed in Cedar Rapids, IA
heptadragon

I use my Galaxy S4 during the day to watch YouTube videos.  Over the last couple of weeks or so, I have noticed increased problems with the video pausing/buffering for extended periods of time (15+ seconds multiple times per minute).  This issue occurs even if the white bar on the play position indicates that the video has already buffered a significant amount.

I have tried clearing cache and data for the YouTube app to no effect.  I've also removed and re-inserted my SIM card per the support article.  Current signal strength is -94 to -92 dBm, 46 asu (sitting at my desk at work).  I have disabled Smart Pause, Bluetooth, GPS.  I am unable to use WiFi at work as it is for guest accounts or company devices only.

Anyone else have this issue or similar issues, or know if there is an issue in my area?

P.S.  I had similar buffering issues on my previous phone (Moto Droid RAZR) within the last few months - I just upgraded to the S4 a few weeks ago.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Slow 4G LTE speed in Cedar Rapids, IA
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could it be overloading of the tower you are connecting to?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
heptadragon

Seems plausible.  Is there a way that I can check that?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Have no fear, Verizon is here! I can help with your buffering issues. Let's start with are you using the online browser or a YouTube app? Also, what zip code are you having the issue in? As you share the requested info, it will help in reaching a permanent solution.

Thank you...

Arnett_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heptadragon

This is using the YouTube app.  I'm located in zip code 52402 most of the time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks heptadragon!  Nothing has been reported in the area.  Have you tested the device and application outside at this location?  Let me know so I can further assist.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
heptadragon

I have not, but I will be able to do so at some point over the next few days.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great! I know you mentioned clearing cache on You Tube app, but have you cleared on phone? This may help. http://vz.to/18TGgBX
Once you clear on phone, please restart phone.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

heptadragon

Alright, update as of 8/6/13:

I have not been using my browsers (Chrome and Dolphin Browser) to access the YouTube mobile site, but I went ahead and cleared the cache on both anyway.  I restarted my phone after doing so.  I encountered some buffering issues this morning so I tested things outside.  I had the same buffering issues as previous when I was streaming an HD video (after about 3 minutes), and similar, though less pronounced, buffering issues when streaming the same video in SD (after about 7 minutes, buffered for less time and only once or twice per minute).  My signal strength when outdoors was -76 to -78 dBm, 62 to 63 asu.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying heptadragon. Do you have the same difficulties using other apps or websites? Another basic questions for you. How often are you power cycling the device? Have you tried removing the battery? Is this happening after long data usage sessions? Have you tried testing the device in another zip code?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes