Slow 4G LTE in Houston, 77040
roncli

I have a new iPhone 5s, got it 2 days ago.  It seems the 4G LTE is really slow in the 77040 area (near Tidwell and 290).  Speeds were 0.19mb/s down and 0.27mb/s up.

I tried resetting network settings, but I continue to get almost dial-up speeds.  What can be done to remedy this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow 4G LTE in Houston, 77040
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for this information, roncli! Congratulations on your new phone. That particular zip code does show as variably covered. Does it appear to improve in other locations? What do you show for the RSSI/Signal Strength http://vz.to/1s8c4h2.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for this information, roncli! Congratulations on your new phone. That particular zip code does show as variably covered. Does it appear to improve in other locations? What do you show for the RSSI/Signal Strength http://vz.to/1s8c4h2.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
roncli

Thanks for the reply!  I've got 89.50 dBm (no minus sign).  I'm literally a block from the Verizon Wireless 290 Store, I can try there on my way home and see what I get there, and I will also see what I get at home where I know I get a strong signal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

roncli,

Thanks so much for the details. Please keep us posted with the other locations that you test out. Another suggestion that I would give is to power the device off all the way and remove the sim card for 10-15 seconds http://vz.to/1bb5oDU . Then place the sim card back in the phone and power it back up. Please keep us posted.

0 Likes
roncli

Hi there, sorry I haven't been able to get back to you, but I've been pretty busy.  I did the SIM card removal, but nothing changed, for better or worse.

As a note, I was using this at home (77056) on Saturday and LTE was pretty much awesome all day.  But, I'm still having issues at or near work (77040).  Anything else I can try?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

roncli,

Thanks for the info.  Let's see if we can pinpoint this.  Is this mainly indoors at your work location?  Is your phone functioning better most of the time at all other locations now? 

You can try a back up and restore on the device; http://bit.ly/1pIvHLR.

Let's see if there's any improvements after this. Thanks!

TrevorC_VZW

0 Likes
roncli

This does seem to be location-based, and not device-based.  I have a Jetpack device that does 4G LTE, and it, too, is not seeing 4G LTE at this location, although it sees it just fine at home.

I've tried this both indoors and outdoors.  There is a nearby shopping center that neither of the devices are receiving 4G LTE consistently.  However, whenever I travel north of Tidwell (a street here), 4G LTE tends to work flawlessly on my phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing us with that information roncli. When you are at work do you notice that your device constantly switches between 3G and 4G or does it just only show 3G? Has there been any network tickets opened for you with regards to your work address? Please keep us posted.

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
roncli

No tickets have been filed here.  I do notice the occasional "LTE" indicator, which is always at one bar when active on both devices.  3G is much more consistent (90%, I'd say), and usually has 3 or 4 bars.

0 Likes
roncli

I just wanted to state that there has been no change in LTE performance.  What needs to be done to open a network ticket?

0 Likes