Re: SIM Failure message
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

Do any one of you guys have a laptop or a friends computer that you can try it on? This is what I would do. I would try it on a computer with the same OS as yours, and also try it on a Windows 7. You could even take it into a Verizon store and plug it into one of there NetBooks they have on display. Just explain to tell your friends that you have to install this software, but when I am done you will remove it. I would do that before I waste anymore time. You gotta make sure if it's your computer or the modem.

0 Likes
Steve_A_

My local store doesn't even have any netbooks on display.

Anyway, after spending over two more hours in the phone with tech support, it was decided that there is a definite conflict somewhere.

Last night, at the end of my conversation with tech support, I had them re-activate my old 3-G device.

I did a complete uninstall of the UML290 software and reinstalled my old air-card.

Worked great !!!

With regret, I returned my UML290 to the store and exchanged it for the LG-VL600.

I took my laptop with me and had the store manager do the install.

We spent an hour+ doing the install and testing, warm-booting and cold-booting.

The LG seems to be working (relatively) ok.

At least there is no more "Sim Failure" error.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the LG settles in.

It works, but, it too is a little glitchie.

0 Likes
marinexiro777

OK GUYS ,IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER  OPEN IT, GO TO SETTINGS, CLICK MESSENGER AND CALLER ID  THEN SELECT NONE ,CLICK SAVE ,AND EXIT. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT MSG AGAIN .

MANY THANKS TO

0 Likes
DrDad

Installed LG-VL600 in Dec. Have SIM Failure message ever since. However I can connect without any problems. After several hours with tech support they suggested it was a 4G problem and might be an issue when we get 4G in this area. They also said problem was in the computer but wouldn't tell where to look. Using WinXP, do not have Media Center. Any other ideas as to where to look? (It's not a big issue at this time)

0 Likes
marinexiro777

when I'm in 4 g area I still get the sim card fail msg but it auto-connects anyway ,when I'm in 3 g area I have to put it in hibernation mode 5 seconds then close sim card error msg ,then detect  device then connect

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

There is a new F/W update that was released yesterday for the LG model. I would do that ASAP.

0 Likes
stacyp

did you ever get your sim card failure message to go away? i have the same problem.  my device works on my laptop but not on my desktop. I just got the uml290 two weeks ago and it has only worked twice on the desktop. not sure how that happened. I even got send a new sim card and device. it still happens. I am told it is my desktop. i find that funny because it has worked and the 190 device for the 3g worked with no problem.

0 Likes
stacyp

It is interesting that you mention media center for xp. my media center stopped working once i upgraded to the 4g device.. hmm??

0 Likes
Plasmatic

"

"03-08-2011 01:12 AM

OK GUYS ,IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER  OPEN IT, GO TO SETTINGS, CLICK MESSENGER AND CALLER ID  THEN SELECT NONE ,CLICK SAVE ,AND EXIT. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT MSG AGAIN .

MANY THANKS TO

Did that, it worked the first time (while I was still in the store) but after rebotting still getting the SIM failure message (I've got the UM551L modem). Checked the settings in Media Center - They hadn't changed (were still set to none for caller ID). This is the biggest piece of junk verizon has ever offered and no one can figure out the problem. Tried 3 modems & 3 SIM cards. Gonna go back to my old 727 3G card.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Plasmatic wrote:

"

"03-08-2011 01:12 AM

MANY THANKS TO

Did that, it worked the first time (while I was still in the store) but after rebotting still getting the SIM failure message (I've got the UM551L modem). Checked the settings in Media Center - They hadn't changed (were still set to none for caller ID). This is the biggest piece of junk verizon has ever offered and no one can figure out the problem. Tried 3 modems & 3 SIM cards. Gonna go back to my old 727 3G card.

Thanks to all the community members for your value suggestions and input. 

Plasmatic, I apologize your having the issues with your Sim Card. Are you still receiving the Sim failure error message? For some unknown reason the Sim Card appears to be incorrectly inserted in the UM551L modem as VZAccess Manager is displaying the Sim Card Failure error message. The Sim Card needs to be inserted properly into your device with using great care. Here is a link to instructional video for assistance with the Sim Card. After you confirmed that the Sim Card is properly inserted and you continue having the issue, please send me a private message with your information to be assisted further.

Also, here are a few tips for handling the Sim card with great care:

• Avoid touching the gold contacts as much as possible.
  • Do not bend the Sim card.
  • The gold contacts must be aligned correctly to the gold contacts on the device. An angled cut-off notch on the Sim card indicates the orientation of the 4G Sim to the 4G device.
  • Keep the Sim card clean and dry at all times.
  • Avoid extreme temperatures and magnetic fields.  
0 Likes