Possible to get Verizon's LTE service without a bandwidth cap?
iAMdaviddoria
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right now we're paying for some off-brand wireless internet, at speeds of about 3 megabits, for $110 a month.  That's all that's available to our home, without a cap.  Verizon's LTE, however, comes in at speeds of about 11 megabits here (and I've seen it as high as 28 megabits down the road).

I did call Verizon and they laughed when I said I'd like to try getting their service without a cap for $250 a month.  And I guess I understand that $250 is pretty low compared to their normal rates.  But those rates partially account for the fact that people are paying for additional, unnecessary bandwidth on a mobile device which itself is an unnecessary frill.  But I want to use LTE for basic home internet, and unfortunately I just can't afford $1000 a month for basic home internet (yes, I was told I'd be looking at about that much to cover our home's bandwidth needs).

So does Verizon really not have any department that is able to work with people who want to use LTE for regular residential internet?  It just seems so odd to me that Verizon would be so strict on their pricing.  There are dozens of homes around me in the same boat, so Verizon is losing a significant amount of money by not budging.  I mean even if they were only losing out on two dozen homes at $150 a month, that's $86,400 with 2 year contracts.   Is there a flaw in their system here or am I just not understanding something properly?  Can this all be chalked up to how important it is for bandwidth caps to keep the LTE towers from becoming congested?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Possible to get Verizon's LTE service without a bandwidth cap?
str8fire
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correct, there is really no plan they offer that is uncapped just like they told you.  The cell network data solutions are not meant to be used for home internet but to be something that is used occasionally for someone who needs mobile internet.  And right again, congestion is one of the biggest problems LTE has caused for VZW Nashville, DC, Portland, Silicon Valley...

View solution in original post

Re: Possible to get Verizon's LTE service without a bandwidth cap?
str8fire
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correct, there is really no plan they offer that is uncapped just like they told you.  The cell network data solutions are not meant to be used for home internet but to be something that is used occasionally for someone who needs mobile internet.  And right again, congestion is one of the biggest problems LTE has caused for VZW Nashville, DC, Portland, Silicon Valley...