Poor 4G service in Northern NJ
engk00

Anyone else have little to no 4G service in the Rutherford (07070), East Rutherford, Carlstadt, Wood-Ridge (07075), and Hasbrouck Heights areas? According to 3rd party apps like OpenSignal, it seems like a lot of cell phone service from different providers don't have good service here. However Optimum, Comcast, and Time Warner at least have Wifi clouds in these areas. Verizon doesn't even have that.

Anyone know if there are plans to ever get 4G in the area here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor 4G service in Northern NJ
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We work hard to get you the best signal possible, engk00. I checked out those areas and they're looking good. Is the trouble just with data service or your voice connection too? The other companies you mentioned are landline based service, so hard wires are able to transmit data for the signal which sometimes leads to a faster connection. With wireless service, many factors can interfere with signal such as trying to use it indoors or the terrain in the area. Please go to www.speedtest.net and share the results of your speed test with us. Also, what model device are you using?

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
engk00

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It is trouble with data service and low voice quality and connection. My Samsung Galaxy S3 phone reverts to 1X a lot down from even 3G. I can rarely even get a 4G signal and if I do its momentarily. This is outside my house and not even indoors. My wife also uses Verizon Wireless with a Droid 3. I have family that come over from NY every other weekend who have Verizon Wireless as well and when they come to my place they have all the same symptoms.

I previously lived in 07070 in Union City, NJ where I had no issues getting 4G service and now I’m 10-15 miles away in a new location where 4G is just non-existent.

Below is my Speedtest results with a 3G connection that keeps cutting in and out with 1X.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there engk00,

Thanks for the additional information. Does signal improve outside of the zip code that you have issues in? One thing I want you to try is to power off the device and http://vz.to/18IEu61.  One you have the phone powered back on, please test the connection again and update us with results.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
engk00

Hi,

The signal does improve outside the zip code depending where I am headed. I don’t know if it matters but there’s a small airport a few miles away. The closest Verizon cell phone tower does not seem as close to this zip code as other cell towers like AT&T.

I followed the directions for removing and reinserting the SIM card but same results…maybe even a bit worse.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi engk00,

We certainly appreciate the additional details. Having the best service possible is indeed extremely important. The next step we recommend would be replacing your SIM Card. This is a free process that can be completed at your local store. To locate a store nearest you please visit http://bit.ly/3SdsA, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I am having similar problems when I travel outside of my zip code in Central NJ.  The Princeton NJ area (08540) is especially bad.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NJ_Analyst,

Good thing this VZW wiz kid is on the job and ready to figure things out. Are your issues with voice, data, or both? How long has this been an issue? Do you notice this indoors only? And are others experiencing the same?

EvanO_VZW

0 Likes
wsproule

I am also having very poor LTE service in 08540, in downtown Princeton, I can do voice call, but rarely better the 1x service. I have to turn off LTE (iPhone 5s) to get data. Outside of town, I can get 50Mbps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wsproule, thanks for these details. At this time, no issues have been reported in New Jersey. Let's take a closer look at your device. Are you having these issues indoors, outdoors, or both? I recommend that you reset the network http://vz.to/186cDNz and power your device off/on to soft reset it. Keep us posted.

Lasina_VZW

0 Likes