Pantech UML290 and IPv6
Prolixium

Hi -

I recently picked up the Pantech UML290 w/the 5GiB/month plan with hopes of being able to use both IPv4 /and/ IPv6 on VZW's LTE network.  IPv4 works great on Windows, Mac, and Linux (Debian) w/PPP.  Speeds are outstanding (20/15) and RTT is very low, even where I'd expect to have poor reception.

However, I haven't been able to get IPv6 working...

The VZAccess Manager software on Windows and Mac displays an IPv6 global unicast address (2600:1004:b000:18e:2a0:c5ff:fe00:0, for example) in the GUI but that address doesn't seem to be applied to the LTE interface (en3 when I was on OS X) and there isn't a default route.  Furthermore, attempts to ping6 the multicast all-routers address (ff02::2%en3) produce no replies, and tcpdumping the interface shows IPv6 RSes being sent with no RAs in response.

On Linux, I've been using wvdial and pppd, and only get an IPv4 address (the pppd I'm using should support IPv6, although I haven't ever seen it work).  The cdc_ether module doesn't attach to the UML290 so I can't manually send out RSes or anything.

I've found next to nothing trying to Google around for this, and the Verizon folks at the store didn't seem to know much about IPv6.  I found just one random blog saying that IPv6 is "not supported" on the UML290, but I don't know where that information ultimately came from ( http://www.eddieparra.net/2010/12/05/lg-vl600-on-mac-os-x/ ).

One of my friends a few months back used a UML290 for a little while on Windows and specifically indicated IPv6 worked (http://bgp.he.net/ showed a 2600:1004:: address, kame danced on kame.net, etc.), so I haven't completely given up on this, yet.

Any ideas?

I'm running the latest (230) firmware on the Pantech and have tested the latest version of VZAM on Windows 7 and OS X.

Thanks!

- Mark

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pantech UML290 and IPv6
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

It only works on Windows because of the VZ IMS network architecture and special APN.

You could probably replicate it on Linux if you had the corporate secrets.

No-one @ VZW knows about this except for the engineers @ Alcatel-Lucent & Ericsson (their engineering contractors) and some very-high-level-up engineering positions @ VZW/VZ.

Why would the store know? Their just low-level monkeys trained to sell things. This is similar to tech-support.

Yes the Windows VZAccess will give you a globally routable IPv6 address. I confirmed this with some engineering tests on the machines in a store and did a reverse traceroute.

My traffic to Google with VZ's DNS even had a IPv6 address.

Now on the higher end

If you go to VZ Investor Relations (http://investor.verizon.com)

And check the last few investor summaries in New York & London they have been saying that their LTE network is 100% IPv6 ready. This is due to the recent IPv4 address depletion in the industry.

In short NO. What do you need it? I'm a geek too and I have better things to do.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Or install Windows and reverse engineer the VZ IMS IPv6 implementation (going through the "vzims" APN).

Or read the VZW wireless network architecture dev. docs here:

http://opennetwork.verizonwireless.com/

Make a consumer engineer/developer account.

It's like 100+ pages. If you can figure it you have fun!

0 Likes
Prolixium

Thanks for the information, however it doesn't work for me on Windows (7) either, which is why I'm curious about it.  VZAM always lists an IPv6 address in the GUI, but it's never applied to any interface (and the RSes time out).  So, I guess I'm wondering if something's not working as expected.  Oh well.

Part of my line of work involves IPv6 network design and implementation, so it's pretty important that I've got IPv6 wherever I am.  I end up having to tunnel if I don't have it natively :smileywink:

- Mark

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

They probably made a IMS v4v6 gateway change or something...

Because 3 weeks ago I was @ a VZW store checking out raw TCP/UDP performance on the LTE network and going to a reverse traceroute site listed it as a IPv6 IP. I did the reverse trace, it actually went IPv6 all the way to the VZW / Verizon Business in-gress gateway from the public internet which was interesting on the public "VZWINTERNET" APN.

Considering that everything is ready for IPv6 I'm not surprised they turned it off.

There's no need for it atm, when the IPv4 IP depletion rate gets to the point of insanity and we're forced for regular website DNS resolution to an IPv6 address they will probably turn it back on in ~2-5 years.

The management of the LTE client on Windows is pure 100% IPv6 which is probably what your seeing.

That's a seperate tunnel to ONLY VZW's LTE management IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) core, it doesn't go to the internet, it's like a intranet for network management.

0 Likes