Out of Network and No Signal
stylinak

The last few days have been stressful regarding my phone service. I am in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and normally have 3G service. However, I have had multiple No Service for extended periods of time and when that isn't happening it is showing out of network. The only way I can get my iMessages to work is to connect to wifi when it is available. I thought the issue was with my phone, but others that have Verizon are experiencing the same problems. I switched from AT&T because I was stuck with Edge network up here while Verizon had 3G, now it is flipped again and AT&T has 4G and I am stuck out of network. This is unacceptable and I would like to know what Verizon is doing to fix this. Many people (myself included) are ready to switch carriers in the very near future as we spend atleast half of the year up here and would like to use the data that spend quite a bit of money on without waiting 5 mins for a page to load (if at all) or to send/recieve a text message multiple times before it'll go through. Also we are unable to send multimedia text message as well and cannot access email most of the time (out of wifi). Many of us are furious and are left without answers. What is the problem and what are you doing to fix it?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Out of Network and No Signal
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Isn't Alaska an extended network area where the VZW phones are roaming on the local Alaska carrier?  Is there customers of the local carrier in your area?  Are they having issues too?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I was wondering what Carries are up in some Parts of Alaska  Ann  My Cousin lives in Anchorage and it Seems a cording to Info i Found at&t is Going to be the First to offer 4G in that City but Verizon should be close to Turning on the Switch the Article i found was Written in September 2012 and it Almost a year since the Article so i wonder if the Switch has been Turned on..

Well to Update to What i asked on the 4G it looks Like the switch in Anchorage any Way has been turned on I didn't spot any Stores but I assume they will follow and will be built soon.!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi stylinak,

I understand your concerns regarding coverage in Alaska! Be assured that all our customers are important to us, and while we currently have only extend coverage for voice and 3G service, we have already deployed our 4G network in some parts of Alaska for data only devices. Please visit this link http://vz.to/14uIlGm for details. We are constantly expanding our coverage, and you can be assured that we will expand to most parts of Alaska as soon as it is possible.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
jfailing

I work close to Prudhoe Bay as well, and I have experienced the exact same as this - I had 3G data just fine up until a month or two ago.  Now if I'm lucky, I'll get 1X for longer than 60 seconds.  The data notification next to the signal bars has disappeared.  I can barely hold a call, barely send a text, and there is no hope whatsoever of loading my e-mail or sending a picture. 

As I understand, ACS covers Verizon's roaming on the North Slope, but only for voice & text.  As of June however, I was getting 3G data just fine.  Did Verizon suddenly sever ties with ACS or something?

Many of us workers up here work a 3 week on, 3 week off schedule.  We're away from our families for weeks at a time, and undependable cell and data service can be crushing, especially when it was working just fine a few months ago.

I recently read an article that AT&T put up towers here, specifically because many of their customers live in the lower 48, but work up on the North Slope.

Verizon - please take a hint from AT&T and at least install some sort of 3G tower up here, or renew some contract with ACS.  There's loads of money to be made from oil companies who are looking to you for communication networking...  As well as a sizable number of men & women who work very hard, many miles away from home.  It's the least you can do.

0 Likes
toevsl

Hi Verizon!

We currently live in the Anchorage area, and we have Verizon wireless.  Needless to say, our phone coverage is very unreliable.  Most of the time when I call my husband, it doesn't ring and goes to voicemail.  On his end, he has no record of the call even coming in (missed calls) and no voicemail.  We will be returning to CA in Sept. 2014, and I want a new iPhone 5s.  Can you give me a more definitive date for your wireless updates to our area, or do I need to change carriers?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@jfailing,

Having reliable service is definitely important especially when away from your family for weeks at a time!

Let's take a closer look at what's going on in that area. What is the zip code where you having these issues? What phone do you have?

You mentioned this started recently. Are you having the issues indoors or outdoors? Have you previously reported these issues?

I'm sure we ca work together in getting this resolved so you can go back to enjoying your service with VZW.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Toevsl

I'm very sorry I don't have a date for Anchorage. We are working hard to expand our network! Here's a great link to see our coverage and sign up to ge alerted for news: http://bit.ly/xVecuo

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jfailing

The zip code where I'm located is 99734.  I was previously using the HTC Incredible 2, but have just started using the HTC One.

At first, I had some issues using it indoors, but if I was outside or held the phone near the window, I got 3G with no problems.  Then suddenly it stopped working one day, and hasn't worked since.  This is the first time I have reported the issue.

Do you know if there are any plans in the works of an LTE or 3G network on the North Slope of Alaska?

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details, jfailing. What does the signal indicator on your phone show? Which services have become unavailable?

We're always looking to expand our coverage, but I have no details about plans for Alaska. I look forward to hearing back from you.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes