Re: Novatel Wireless MiFi4510L stops every 30 minutes
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

John, thank you for your post.  I'll try to provide more details, however I do not believe there is any possibility whatsoever of any person on this site being able to even remotely improve the situation.  I strongly believe Verizon is simply facing a situation where engineering and QA testing failed miserably, and architectural constraints prevent any real improvement of the situation for those of us currently experiencing it.  I BTW have some experience in this general field - though not direct experience with 3G/4G network support.

First of all, the most common issue is that regardless of the type, OS or number of clients attached to the MiFi via 802.11x, the unit comes up and finds a (good) 4G connection.  It seems as though it's performing well.  However, with no obvious trends concerning the length of time before problems start, the green light simply stays on solid and no 4G traffic is passed between the MiFi and the VZ network (that I can determine, anyway).  This often occurs within minutes of the bootup process, but can be delayed by an hour.  At this point, no matter the client device, I cannot in any way (direct IP, DNS supported browse traffic, SMTP, etc) access anything beyond the Mifi.  I can bring up the MiFi console (which, btw, is perhaps the worst designed management console I've seen in more than a decade) at the defaul 192.168.1.1 address.  Often, I'll get a status of "dormant".  I can typically successfully disconnect the device from the LTE network.  However, I can NEVER reconnect (with perhaps less than 5 exceptions over the past 3 months).  When I click "connect", it tells me it's DISCONNECTING again and goes back to dormant.  Sometimes if I choose to just wait it out, the device/connection will come back within between 30 seconds and 5 minutes.  Sometimes no matter how long I wait, the connection never comes back.  The only sure remedy is to completely power the MiFi down and then power it back on. 

The second issue is that of the 3G vs 4G LTE network selection.  Without exception - and I mean that in the very factual sense of the phrase, if I allow the device to be set to "Global" it has extreme difficulty in accurately selecting 4G LTE when in a known, great signal, 4G LTE area.  Let me be perfectly clear as to dispell any propaganda from VZ or anywhere else.  I am currently sitting in my kitchen and over the top of the trees I can seethe top of the closest 4G LTE equipped tower - which is in BTW a somewhat rural area where the density of calls is typically low, and the utilization of that tower is also typically low.  I know this because of close connections with the tower operator (Crown Castle Communications) - having made inquiries and gotten hard data supporting my claims.  If my device is set to "Global", more than 60% of the time it comes up in 3G mode.  In the 40% where it comes up in 4G LTE, it often switches down to 3G at some point.  When I'm stationary, with full signal strength, in full view of the tower, which is less than a 5 minute WALK from where I'm sitting - with no line of site obstructions, hight tension power lines, etc.  Nothing.  I find the same behavior regardless of my location.  The network and protocol selection process is just plain broken.  It's not even close.  Verizon claims that relatively recent updates "improved" the performance.  That may be.  Frankly, moving the accuracy needle from 10% to 15% is an "improvement".  But neither are acceptable.  Not saying the actual numbers are 10% or 15%.  I AM saying that the numbers are FAR less than 95% - and far less than any service level that any reasonable customer should expect.  Therein lies the reason why those of us in LTE regions must set the device to LTE Only.

I also take exception with the description of "resets" as a "quick" solution.  There is nothing quick about it when you're in the middle of a meeting, or trying to upload a critical file.  I define "quick" as a the most less than 100ms.  This process is both too frequently required, and takes MINUTES.  And frankly, sometimes, immediately after the reboot you're facing the same exact situation.  It is simply not acceptable.

You are correct in that VZs "solution" thus far is to replace devices - with replacement devices that behave EXACTLY as the original devices.  It is a DESIGN problem.  And I am SO friggin tired of hearing inexperienced, poorly trained and poorly motivated VZ employees try to say that it's not their fault because they didn't build the device.

Bottom line is that I'm trying hard to get my money back to get rid of the device.  It is simply not capable of functioning as designed, nor is VZ capable of providing any even remotely reasonable support.  I have absolutely not a single shred of confidence that this device will ever work reliably at this point.  Not one.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Good feedback Wherder,

Thanks for taking the time to share more about your issues.  It sounds like Verizon has lost your trust with this device and your looking for a way out.  If i were in your shoes I would be looking to do the same thing.  Everyone has a different tolerance level for technical difficulties and when that level has been met, its time to move on.  You can always come back later if you find no suitable alternatives.

I'll share that there have not been many success stories when it comes to getting out of contract without fees.  Verizon has some crafty fine print that you agreed on when you purchased the device.  Chances are they will be able to hold you to that if you decide to terminate early.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

They definitely have the upper hand here, and unfortunately there isn't a way to get the word out to more people that they need to avoid this service.  Therefore the first time someone realizes the massive problems with this network it's too late and they are stuck.  As I have said before that is what the Verizon tech's have said the company is counting on, they want to expand the market and capture as many contracts as they can, then once they have done that they will focus on fixing the problem.  What I really wonder is why do some not seem to have the problem?  Is it just with some markets? or some towers?

0 Likes
CanterburyFred

Whew! I have been struggling with MiFi for months too. I am in a rural area in New Hampshire. I have been experiencing very unreliable connectivity on the WWAN side. I opened a call with Verizon support in September and have been going back and forth with them ever since. Due to my distance from the nearest tower, I never have fast speed (4G is not here) but would be happy with reliability, so that I don't have to go out to a wifi hotpsot to get any on-line work done. This week they sent me a Samsung 8CH-LC11 to try in place of the Novatel unit. It's been working ok for one day so far. Has anyone else tried this solution?

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Make sure you keep an eye on your account, that is how I ended up with the 4510L.  They (Mr Todd {edited for privacy}) sent it as a replacement for the UML290 I had saying it would be a no charge equipment swap to see if it worked better (I had good luck with the Novatel 2200 so was hoping this one was as good.)  He assured me several times there would be no charge, well one month later I see $150 charge for new equipment, this resulted in several visits to store where they finally credited all of it but it was a battle.

Good luck though Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Miky007

I have found what I think is the solution.

I was having a major problem with this while near other wireless devices and when I encounter them during travel.

The Thing i did was engage the Mac Filter.

I looked on the connection, copied my laptop mac address shown by my Mi4510, then pasted it into the trusted addresses.

Since doing that I have not had one disconnect, where as before it would kick me off ever 6 mins or so.

I discovered it while watching my logs in diagnostics trying to find something that would cause my problem.

When it disconnected, the script told me I was disconnected and that it usually happens when my device connects to another network.

So I basically told the mifi  that my network ( My Laptop ) was the only thing allowed to connect to it.

It has thus far worked and let me tell you........ Im ecstatic!!!!!!!! 

Hope it helps the rest of you too!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Miky007,

That is an interesting solution to a disconnection problem.  Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if your solution can be applied to others who are experiencing disconnections.  It has been known that these devices have a hard time competing in heavily congested areas.  We have seen a few threads where the "Dissappearing SSID" problem happens due to too many competing wireless signals.  Your disconnection feedback suggests the MiFi may have other issues with wireless devices as well.

If you ever notice your problem coming back then please let us know.

0 Likes
Miky007

I was having the issue every day until I engaged the Mac Filter.

I have not experienced any drops since then. Im certain it has solved the issue for me. 

Why the proximity to other devices causes it to want to throw a user off is still uncertain, nor do I really understand it.

But the Mac Filter will prevent it for users until the underlying issue can be discovered.

I will say that my device was on and functioning, but it would not let my laptop see it after it disconnected me.

Glad I could help, if it truly works across the board for all users.  MERRY CHRISTMAS! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Flugelman

I've been on the Novatel MiFi for about 2 months now with all the afore mentioned disconnect problems. I upgraded firmware and did the sim card reset but the problem remained. I did the MAC Filter enable with 3 devices (2 computers and a printer) about 12 hours ago and so far I've not seen any disconnects. The proof of the pudding will be to see if it fixes my neighbors MiFi who is having the same problems.

Thanks for the info, I was about to pull what little hair I have left out...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for sharing your feedback.  Its good to see that Milky's solution has helped in two instances already.

I am a little confused at why those steps are working in the first place.  I never assumed that the MiFi had an issue with its connections that a MAC filter could correct.  Normally I suggest lowering the wireless broadcast to B/G and resolve similar disconnection issues.

Keep us posted and let us know if your problem comes back or not.

0 Likes