Re: NYC midtown Horrible Data speeds and LTE MIA most of the time
timmiii888
Enthusiast - Level 2

LTE speeds and reception is extremely bad in Midtown Manhattan as well as Astoria Queens. The best I ever get in LTE signal strength is 2 to 3 bars out of 5 and there has been a definite speed decrease in the areas which I travel to most since I signed up in November 2012.\

In addition, my sms are heavily delayed. People are receiving them minutes to hours after I initially sent them out.

0 Likes
JosephAdes

I am a computer consultant and travel all over NYC midtown (some areas in downtown as well)

Since day 1 of using LTE - right when iPhone 5 came out - speeds were fine, but terrible indoor and in-building coverage

Not even a year later - impossible to make use of the LTE network. I carry a second iPhone on me which uses AT&T LTE and always have 4-5 bars of usable service, inside and outside, even in basements.

When voice over LTE comes out - forget it. This will be a repeat of the issues AT&T had in 2010 with dropped calls left and right

Was in times square outdoors on 42nd street and 7th ave - did not get more than 2 bars of service! Is this a joke??

3G indoor coverage is no better. Better than LTE by far, but 80% of the places I go to - unusable, vs AT&T which works perfectly

And if you thought midtown was bad, try downtown. Midtown looks like god when you compare it to downtown.

One thing is clear, my days on verizon will be numbered. Probably switching to T-Mobile soon unless Verizon can compensate me for the fact that I can't use the phone more than half the time I make an attempt to do so.

Shame on you verizon

PS - I know that the issue isnt with my phone because when I had a verizon ipad (I switched that to AT&T few months ago) I had the same issues, and my business partner uses the galaxy s3 on verizon LTE and has the exact same issues.

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

i work on 34th street and 7thave and i get 3G and 1X all the time. 4G is non existent.sometimes 4g pops up and is unbearable so i forced 3g through the phone info app on google playstore. 3g is actually faster on manhattan believe it or not. at least to check emails and browse mobile sites.

0 Likes
Verngrey

Getting less than stellar speeds as well here in williamsburg / north brooklyn ny, it started off great when I first got the service back in october 2012, always had 25 down 23 up etc, the last month & a half I can barely get above 11 or 12 down and barely 6 up. Its ridiculous considering we pay top dollar, for a supposed top of the line cellular & capped LTE data network.

0 Likes
JosephAdes

Are you kidding me 10-11 down you think thats bad?? Try no more than 3 down and .5 up!! Pretty much all over midtown. Slower than AT&T 3G!

0 Likes
lem0nayde

I'm suffering the same fate.

My iPhone 5 was fine when I first got it, but in the last two months I've noticed that I rarely get LTE anymore. I live in Astoria and it used to work really well, but now I am lucky to manage 2-3 bars of non-LTE service. When traveling around the city, I'll get occasional pockets of LTE (Union Square and Upper West side seem decent, Midtown has always been a nightmare for connecting), but even that is not happening as often.

Worst still — I've recently started working just above Battery Park and the situation is dire. I get a connection so slow that I can't do anything on my phone that is data or voice related. I might as well leave my SIM card at home.

It's a huge monthly expense for such poor service. I'm desperate enough that I guess I'll make the dreaded call to Verizon customer service. If I can get enough reception to do it.

0 Likes
timmiii888
Enthusiast - Level 2

***UPDATE***

I spoke to customer service over the phone and they suggested I get a new SIM card. OK... I went to the Verizon Wireless store on Canal St. and got my SIM card replaced free of charge; problem still persists. No surprise there... It's definitely not my iPhone5 because I can go to Ktown (32nd St between Broadway and Madison) and I'll get 4 to 5 bars constant and the speeds tested to be around 14 tp 16Mbps down.

LES, Chinatown, Park Ave (around 27th St.) and all along 42nd St. the LTE service is horrible, 1 to 2 bars constantly. The speeds are from 0 to 2 Mbps at best and ping can be from 60 to 130. This was definitely not the case a few months ago...

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issues here...
Reference my post here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/959125#959125d

We are definitely not alone in this, see all posts I reference there as well.  It also seems VZW isn't doing much (I did the same sim card nonsense as well).

0 Likes
mgerbasio1

I'm also having network issues.

0 Likes
aal34

I work and live in midtown, near 53rd and 5th and 59th and 6th.  I just got the Samsung S4, and the LTE service is horrible - almost unsable.  I've done speed test and I'm getting 41 to 73kbps in my office.  Outside, walking on 5th ave, I got maybe 508kbps.  My friends on Tmobile were getting 3000kbps to 5000kbps - topping out at 15,000 kbps - on the Samsung S4.

I just spoke to Teyeh, manager at the 57th and 6th ave Verizon store, and he said a senior verizon VP was at their store and raise the slow data issue.  Supposidely, he said it was reported 5 to 6 days ago, and Verizon is working to fix it.  Having looked at the prior post from Nov 2012, I'm not sure that this is just a one-off situation.  However, if you're lucky, maybe whatever fix they're doing will improve your service.  I've been a Verizon customer for over 10+ years, and seriously considering the switch to Tmobile or AT&T.   I still like Verizon, but they need to better communicate their known issues to customers.  I suggest we all call and complain, until they fix it.

0 Likes