Might be prorated hefty overages?
KMI2014

I went to the Verizon store to set up service. The employee could not set me up with more than 10GB so when I get home I figure out I have to switch to the More Everything plan to get more than 10GB. Being that this is pretty much my only option and the best available option for internet service living in a rural area I needed a higher data plan to fit my needs..

So after switching to the More Everything plan I chose the 16GB plan. After watching usage I decided maybe I needed some more head room to last the whole month and have some data left over to run operating system (Windows) updates, software and game updates right at the end of the billing cycle before usage resets. So I switched over to the 20GB plan and have remained on that as anything higher is out of my budget. In three days I went from 10GB plan, 16GB plan to the 20GB plan.

I was well under the data limit for all plans however when I switched I chose "Effective current day (today)" rather than backdating because I misunderstood what backdating is for. Someone let me know that unless I contacted Verizon about it I will likely get hit with hefty overages once the proration kicks in, this is what they told me:

"You would have wanted to backdate it to allow 20gb for the whole month. You might want to call and have that fixed if it can because you are prorating yourself on both sides and subject to a double overage charge."

So I'd like to have this taken care of so I'm not hit with these overages or double overages charges due to proration. I'd like to have all plan upgrades backdated and allot me the full 20GB for my current plan.

By the way they made it sound is that if I didn't contact Verizon these charges are going to be super expensive and run my bill way up, likely way more than I can afford on my current income.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Might be prorated hefty overages?
KMI2014

Hello, is there any way I can get this resolved other than calling?

0 Likes
KMI2014

Well I am a tad upset now. I've been being very careful with data and watching my cap. I recently contacted a rep via online live chat to get charges backdated. I didn't know/understand what backdating was for and I upgraded a couple times to a higher plan. I was told to contact support to backdate because I may face hefty prorated overages, I did exactly that and it was supposedly taken care of.

Well recently got an sms warning me and logged into MyVerizon for quite a shock. I'm being charged $165, 10GB worth of overages and I haven't exceeded my cap. This is ridiculous, both the meter on my device and the Verizon website show my data usage at little over 14GB yet Verizon is claiming I went over my 20GB cap by 10GB?!

If any Verizon reps and employees are looking at this, please have this looked into so it can be resolved/fixed. Seeing as I log in with my Verizon account to post should be enough verification to connect me to my account. I will not be forced to pay those so called overages when I was careful and usage information places me 6GB under my plans cap. I don't know where this claim of 10GB overages is coming from when usage data shows me still being under my 20GB allotment. I can provide screen caps of my device and the usage page on my account as proof to show I'm under the allotment for my plan.

Still awaiting on a Verizon rep to respond and it's been nearly two weeks now.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately for you, a rep will never respond to this discussion thread because you didn't mark it as a question. Now before you repost it, you should duplicates are frowned upon here too and will be removed by the moderators.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KMI2014

Well that's nice.. I wish knew that prior to posting this thread. Well it's a question and a reach out to support as per the title so they should still read it and reply. What if it wasn't really a question but something only support would know and be able to respond to? Isn't there any way to edit my op and mark it as a question although I could probably get away with reposting since this has become an actual issue for support now.

If not then I'll try to call later on, at least I won't have to deal with this bs using phone support only other bs lol. I tend to avoid anything over the phone for personal reasons and other reasons, I grit my teeth when it comes to contacting phone based support especially more so if it's outsourced. I usually like to conduct business over the internet or in person if given that option. I guess my only other option to possibly get this resolved without calling in would be a live chat session again.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There was 15 minutes after you posted the post to mark it as a question. After that, only admin or mods can change it. From what I understand, the system that funnels posts to the reps only pulls out the threads marked as unanswered questions. The reps never see the other discussions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KMI2014

I wasn't aware of that so I never knew to mark it as a question, only now have I became aware of that. So who do I contact to have it changed or can admins/mods see all the discussions and change them appropriately?

0 Likes
verizonmoderator1

KMI2014  - your post has been marked as a question.

>>Verizon Moderator<<

KMI2014

Thank you. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
KMI2014

I apologize for the double post but this community doesn't seem to have an edit feature. I wanted to add that to me it appears the rep only backdated the 16GB plan when I switched from 16GB to 20GB but didn't backdate the switch from 10GB to 16GB. I requested that both upgrades that month which occurred a few or so days apart be backdated but it seems that request was misunderstood.

The usage meter on my device shows usage at 14.291GB which is under my 20GB allotment by almost 6GB. Usage information under my account on MyVerizon matched and showed the same usage until the past couple days where Vz is showing me as going over my 20GB cap by 10GB incurring $165 worth of charges. My device still shows the same usage and me being under the cap, only the usage information under my account on MyVerizon usage suddenly changed. It's not even time for the next bill yet as I'm still in the same cycle so overages (if any) should be present on the next bill. This charge is just for overages in addition to the bill for this cycle and no mention of the charges being prorated so I'm not sure what to make of this. 

This is my only decent choice out here because no one wants to give us dsl, cable or fiber. So it's either 3G Evdo, Verizon Lte or satellite. Satellite is horrible and isn't sufficient for my internet activities due to high latency and slow daytime/evening throughput.

I just paid $75 towards my balance and the rest when I cash my next check. I can't afford $165 just in so called overages when there's no evidence to support these overages and usage shows me being under the limit. I'm on a fixed income due to being disabled, I can be careful with usage and afford the regular bill but not such hefty overages. After my rent, utilities and trash bill is paid, buying supplies the Verizon bill will eat up at least half or nearly the whole amount of my remaining balance. So I'm being expected to pay the balance for this cycle which is $117, now $165 for mysterious overages and then the bill for next cycle.. there is no way I can afford that. I've been paranoid since I got this service watching and constantly checking usage, educating myself on how much data some stuff uses and have stayed under the cap only to face an overage nightmare anyways?! Smiley Sad

0 Likes