Re: MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
statdetective
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have also locked my MiFi 4510 into EVDO mode. The speeds are better with 3G than with 4G here in Utah (North Utah County). My device stayed connected and running for more than 7 days (180 hours) when using EVDO. It won't even give me 15 minutes under LTE. And, when it does the speeds are slower than with 3G. Is there a way to just pay for 3G service? The 4G service might be claimed to be here, but it isn't.
0 Likes
Re: Miff 4510L update
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

whitedog82 wrote:

My device has been updated 1 time.  What steps do I take to get the second firmware update?

The firmware update steps can be summarized on this thread:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/MiFi-4510L-Firmware-Update-2-23/td-p/714057

If you decide to update then please avoid performing the steps on a MAC.  There are known limitations to the firmware update software when using this OS.  The most stable OS to perform the update appears to be WinXP.

0 Likes
Irishtiger

OK, everyone.  This is a long and nightmarish journey I've been on.  I've read all the posts in this thread.  I was experiencing all of the issues mentioned in the thread.  Until I came across one here that someone very smart posted.  I used it and it worked perfectly. 

Basically, I found an old Netgear router sitting in my junk box.  I flashed it with DD-WRT, made it a Repeater for my Mifi 4510L, turned off broadcasting on the 4510l and now can do the following:

1.  Be free of all "issues of connectivity" stated in this forum.

2.  Have as many computers/users as I wish (up to 250 in the Netgear).

3.  Have a GREATLY extended range for my signal (10x what the 4510l affords)

4.  Continue to travel in my RV all over the country and do my job over the internet at blazing speeds.

I realize most of you are married to the insanely horrible internal router on the Mifi.  It's time to get a divorce.  I tried every solution here except a repeater and nothing worked.  I've been going solid for two weeks now using this scheme.  I'm not sure if I ever want to return to using a broadcaster that can only go 50 feet. 

So either dust off your old router and check the dd-wrt router list to see if you can flash it or spend 5 minutes and 5 bux on craigslist to find one that does and go to this site: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater.  Then stop whining.

0 Likes
Irishtiger

Oh and I forgot:  I also get 802.11 N.  Sweet!

0 Likes