Re: Miff 4510L update
danesx2

I'm a believer.....  it wasn't long after making my last post the unit went into idle mode and even though our computers showed connected, our browsers wouldn't go anywhere, so once again we had to go and restart the unit.  There seems to be no consistency in regards to when the unit will crap out and have to be either restarted or turned back on.  I asked Verizon for a credit for lost time while we were waiting on a replacement MIFI and they allowed me $25.00 on next months bill.  Unfortunately we are on our third replacement unit and I'm wondering what they will do if we call them and complain again.

0 Likes
m_a_schuster

Yet another 4510L owners here with recent LTE problems. My primary use is in my office in NYC where, strangely, things were pretty good with the factory firmware. I was "forced" to update by the constant nag screen, and was rewarded with constant lockups where the device would simply freeze and not be acceessible by WiFi or show any signs of life externally. Signal indicator usually showing 2 bars. Finally last week, I started having LTE connection problems. Signal level would swing up and down wildly, and eventually the device would go catatonic again. Did the usual measures suggested here: paperclip reset, remove battery and SIM, configure WiFi B+G only, turn of WiFi multimedia, etc.

While connected in EDVO mode I read about a firmware V2.23 which, as far as I could tell, is not being "pushed" over the modem the way the first update was. So I downloaded it and installed it. Mistake. Now I can't get any useful LTE connection, period. This is on a barebones laptop with just Firefox running, and no other telecom software in the background. Connection will stall, and the status page shows constant disconnects. System log is filled with entries like:

• LTE Connection Failed
  • [RUIAUTO] invalid packet state

What to do next? I have set the WWAN to EVDO in order to actually stay connected.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

m_a_,

I have seen those errors reported in a different thread:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/4G-LTE-4510L-hotspot-mifi-device-won-t-stay-co...

Unfortunetly that users issue was never completely resolved.  The user did share with us that they recieved a replacement when contacting Verizon about the problem.  Many users have noticed issues updating the firmware when using Mac's, VM's and Win7 so perhaps something went wrong with your firmware update as well.  If you could get your hands on a WinXp machine you could try to reflash the firmware on your own.  Otherwise ordering a replacement the device might be your best bet.

0 Likes
m_a_schuster
Both firmware flashes were done on the same XP machine, which proceeded without errors. I considered exchange, but the pessimist in me says that, in searching through all postings on this and other boards, that I have yet to see a single instance in which the poster concluded that such issues were permanently solved by getting replacement hardware. In May when I was choosing between the Novatel and Samsung hotspots, I went for the Novatel because of the proven performance of the earlier model, and reports on data flow "stalling" on the Sansung LTE device. Maybe it's time to look over the fence once again, to see if the Samsung still has these issues. Anyone know?
0 Likes
flrver2

I have been a 4g LTE user since day one with a UML290, USB551, Thunderbolt and now the 4510L. Some of the problems with being able to ping but not open web pages have been intermittent since day one but do seem better now.

I have stopped using my 4510L due to the lockup problem where the device goes dormant and locks, having to remove the battery, sim chip and pray and maybe you can get connected again. 
I wish that the 4510L would work since I do see a stronger signal on this device. I am the proud owner of a USB551l and a UML290 so I can swap the sim card back and forth to test with.

I trade stocks and have a trading platform that streams data all day. As long as I have the stock streaming program running the 4510L stays connected but within 15 minutes of closing the program it goes dormant and locks. I do see it come in and out of dormant and then it locks. I have tried some keep alive programs that seem to help but sooner or later it always seems to lock up unless I am streaming something. I even opened a voice only skype session and that seemed to keep it opened. It is a shame to have to eat up my data just to stay connected. 

Right now I have switched back to my UML290, a little less signal level but it will stay connected. I have updated the firmware on the 4510L but it did not seem to help. I hope that someone at Verizon is hearing this and maybe the next firmware update will resolve the problem. Hay we can always dream.

0 Likes
m_a_schuster

Unfortunately my needs require a standalone hotspot, so the USB modems are not a useful option. Just for fun I checked for recent comments on the Samsung hotspot as listed on Amazon, and the complaints are even louder and more vicious. So my wondering about whether it is worth it to switch hardware are now answered.

I still cannot get a useful LTE connection; i.e. one that actually passes data for more than a few seconds. After that the modem goes dormant and the system log shows "LTE CONNECTION FAILED". Parenthetically, I seem to notice that the external sign of this happening is that the status LED on the modem goes dark for about 1/2 second, and then re-illuminates green but is useless from that point onward. If I set WWAN to "LTE ONLY" the LED just alternately flashes between green/violet forever and never connects at all.

So I am now working just fine, thak you, using CDMA/EVDO. Despite Verizon pronouncements over the last few days that the so-called LTE outage is fixed, I see a flury of LTE connectivity complaints in several threads here, even today. Could some of the LTE issues I'm experiencing right now be due to the continuing issues, rather than the 4501L.

Another aside question: have there been different HARDWARE revs of the 4510L since it was released earlier this year? Knowledge about a board revision that addresses the lockups etc. might persuade me to go through the time and frustration expenditure to try a hardware swapout.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I type this with very apprehensive hands lest I jinx myself, but my 4510L set to LTE only has been working correctly for over 4 days with no "data hangups" or locks...  I have not updated firmware but did have two days a few weeks ago where it was fluxuating like mad in latency and dropping connection.  I have a feeling they may have updated/fixed/changed something on some towers around me as the signal also seems to be stronger.

There was someone else from the Wildwood MO area on here, not sure if they are seeing the same thing if they are lurking?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

m_a_schuster wrote:

Another aside question: have there been different HARDWARE revs of the 4510L since it was released earlier this year?  

None that I have been aware of.  Only 2 firmware updates have been released since this device went live.

0 Likes
whitedog82

I think my device has the 1st firmware update but not the second.  What do I do to get the second?

0 Likes
whitedog82

My device has been updated 1 time.  What steps do I take to get the second firmware update?

0 Likes