MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

We're a City IT department, testing the new 4510L MiFi unit for use in our Fire Department.  We've been using the 2200 MiFi units for some time with great success.  As you can imagine, when the LTE/4G MiFi was released, we were very excited.  However, now that we've had time to actually test one of the new MiFi's, we're anything but excited about the quality of the new device.

Here are the three show-stopper issues that we've uncovered.  Without resolution, we cannot recommend that our Fire Department upgrade their 2200 MiFi units:

1. The MiFi unit will intermittently drop its WiFi connection. Another post recommends switching to 802.11g, but this has had no effect.
  2. The E-Ink display is confusing for our users when the unit is powered off.  When power is off, the display shows the last status of the device.  When the device is powered down, the display should be clear of all information.
  3. Holding down the power button for 5 or more seconds should power the unit off.  This doesn't seem to be the case.  Only removing the battery can one power the unit off.

Please provide an update as to the availability or timeline for a firmware upgrade for the 4510L MiFi unit.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think the problem you mention in number 1 is the fault of the 4510L, have you used any other 4G devices yet?  That is actually a most frustrating feature of Verizon's 4G network, it frequently just drops the connection.  (Well it keeps the connection it just drops the ability to actually transfer data over it.)  They have had that issue since December.

The other two problems you mention are actually device lockups, at least with mine if it truly powers off the display goes dark.  However sometimes it will lock up and then the display stays on, even through a few second battery removal.  You have to remove the battery for about 10-15 seconds before it will clear.  I have been able to power mine off by just holding the power button, but it is flaky as sometimes it comes right back on.  So on the very last problem you are probably right, the battery has to be removed completely to keep it powered off.

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

There are several issues to deal with:   4G runs on 700 MHz and 3G/voice runs on 850/1900 MHz.   These devices (other than the t-bolt)  have only one modem - which switches via software from 3G to 4G (this takes a lot of time and is not seamless).  Dual radio/modem devices are not standard so far in the consumer domain.   WiFi disconnect issues are common due to interference and differences in implementation.   You can also consider using a 4G modem and software based  Wi-Fi on a Toughbook running windows 7.   The VZ access manager software has it's own problems but it can be easier to control. Sticking with 3G may be a better strategy until coverage and devices improve.

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The reason why we were so excited about the 4510L is the fact that it provides an external antenna connector.  That point aside, this unit feels like it was rushed to market before adequate testing was performed. 

3G is currently our only option up here for the time being and we've tried just about every combination of settings on the 4510L to attempt to get reliable connectivity between the laptop and the MiFi.  Due to these issues, we haven't yet done much testing on the broadband side of the equation. 

Very disappointed in the quality of this model.

0 Likes
kentiler

I've been using the 4510L for 2 weeks now.  I'm in 4G territory for  most the use. 

I'm able to turn it off by holding the power for 5-7 seconds.  As soon as the display goes blank, I let go and the LED will go out a few seconds later if it's not plugged into power.

The issue I'm having is every few hours it starts blocking internet traffic (port 80).  I can be using it during this time, so it's not going into an idle mode to save power.  I've even turned the power setting to never turn off due to inactivity. 

The strange thing is, when this happens, Outlook is still able to send and retrieve mail from an Exchange server via the Internet. 

The quickest solution to fix this I have found is to login to the device from a web browser - click disconnect - and then click connect.  That has always fixed the problem quickly.  However, it's a pain to keep having to do this every few hours.

Opened up a case - will let you know the results if it gets better.

--Kent

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Look at this from our stand point...

We're supporting the deployment of a number of these MiFi devices.  Any "workaround" which entails any sort of technical intervention (removal of battery, webbing into the admin page, tweaking settings) is a non-starter for our crews when they're out on duty.  Verizon really needs to address these failings rather quickly if they want this model to be a success.

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Look at this from our stand point...

We're supporting the deployment of a number of these MiFi devices.  Any "workaround" which entails any sort of technical intervention (removal of battery, webbing into the admin page, tweaking settings) is a non-starter for our crews when they're out on duty.  Verizon really needs to address these failings rather quickly if they want this model to be a success.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

Here is some feedback on the problems that you posted based on my limited experience with the product:

1. Try resetting the device by pressing the Reset button on the back.  If your settings are important then create a backup before you reset and then restore them once the MiFi comes back online.  I was having disconnection/drop/blocked traffic issues with mine and ever since I reset the problem has been greatly improved. 

2.  I would guess that your device is not actually powered down if it is displaying something on the E-Ink.  When my device is powered down it looks completely dead.

3. I have to hold down my power button between 5-10 seconds for the device to shut down.  I hold down the power button until the LED goes to Yellow and then release.  I haven't had to remove the battery with my MiFi yet.

0 Likes
BiffsBiz
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have had the MiFi 4150L for over a month. I am an IT professional. This device is not currently useful to non-IT ppl. It is unstable in 3G & 4G. I would not recommend anyone using this device until all of it's serious problems are fixed. It is definitely not suited to novices or non-IT personnel. A great deal of time is required to get it to work in different areas with different signal strengths. I thourgholy recommend the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 modem, a 3G device, for the time being. The MiFi 4150L is not ready for general use.
0 Likes