Re: Major LTE Problems in D.C.
GPSJay

Here is some information:

I was using a Droid Razr,  I've switched to an iPhone 5S.  I have primarily measured these issues in downtown Washington, DC, standing next to large windows.  In the mornings, before 7 am, I am able to get LTE speeds of up to 35 Mbps as measured by Speedtest.net.  Starting at about 11:45 am, those speeds drop to between 2 and 0.9 Mbps within 5 feet of the same location, still near large windows, and using the same app.  I experience similar results standing outside.  If you are familiar with Washington DC, I get the same results at the intersection of 7th Street and Indepedence Avenue, SW.  I also get in other locations within a few blocks of that intersection. 

0 Likes
JBinVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jay, this is network congestion. VZ has massively oversold their network

and is unwilling to admit it, even to their tech support people. Prepare to

spend an hour troubleshooting, then they'll tell you that they need to get

"Tier 2 support" people involved. And that's where your support will end.

No one will call you back after that. (At least that's how my issue went,

and it's been over a month since I reported the same problems you are.)

This issue is reported in every big city city forum here on VZ's support

site.

GPSJay

I can't seem to get the DM function to work.  Hovering over the Verizon Support icon does not provide a DM option.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

GPSJay wrote:

I can't seem to get the DM function to work.  Hovering over the Verizon Support icon does not provide a DM option.

indicates he is following you.  Click on this:  and in the far upper right-hand corner of his profile page, click the Follow button.  Once he approves your Follow request, then you can Direct Message him.

You'll want to use the Send Direct Message button that's on his profile page.

0 Likes
GPSJay

Thanks.

Verizon Wireless corporately has admitted to the problem.  See the links below.

However, there really isn't anything their Tech Support folks can do about it, since they have no control over the company's network upgrade schedule.  All you can hope for is to put your hand up and hope they recognize that you are in a problem area that needs attention.

The planned solution doesn't help most customers, either.  You need a newer AWS-capable phone.  I have one now, but apparently the fix hasn't come to my area.  Maybe as folks with new phones move to AWS, it will indirectly help others by reducing congestion on their frequencies. 

Also, the higher-frequency network can carry more traffic, but has poor building-penetration and doesn't travel as far.  That's a big problem for me and others, who need to use their phones indoors.  For that reason, there's a lot to be said for the 700 band that T-mobile is trying to cobble up from the other carriers.  If they expand into some of my regular haunts, I will jump to them ASAP.

http://stopthecap.com/2013/11/13/verizon-admits-congestion-problems-for-its-lte-4g-network-in-nyc-sa...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-06/verizon-wirelesss-4g-blitzkrieg

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304173704579260354018157042

0 Likes