Mac VZA for Pantech 290 released - but does it work
SSandy

I downloaded the new 4G Pantech 290 VZAccess software for Mac tonight.  It downloads and installs just fine but, even though it shows all but one of the bars green for 4G (here in Denver), when it connects it only connects with 3G and 1x.  This is in the face of being able to connect with 4G for the last month using the native network setup on the Mac.  This would actually be fine if I could use the Mac native network for connecting on 4G and VZA for connecting on 3G when out of 4G area, but VZA hijacks everything coming from the modem and won't let me connect via system networks when its installed.  So I removed VZA and will continue as before until I learn either what I'm doing wrong or what Verizon is doing wrong.  

Any other early experience with the new Mac VZA out there??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mac VZA for Pantech 290 released - but does it work
mrspeakers

Does not work yet.  Reduced me to 3G.  Trying a few things before I give up and go back to the hack...

0 Likes
mrspeakers

For anyone who had used the hack and had problems using the VZAW, a little playing around got things running...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/VZAM-UPdate-For-Pantech-Just-Released/m-p/399118/highlight...

0 Likes
rutiger

i removed the network profiles that were there from the manual hack.  i then installed vzam and rebooted.  mine is currently working on 4g.  the first 5 or 6 connection attempts failed immediately, but it finally connected.  now i've found my vpn doesn't work though so i'm basically dead, but in a new way :smileysad:  btw, my vpn connects.  it just doesn't pass traffic.

0 Likes
norfdungal

Same situation here

a) in Denver

b) Shows 4G LTE with 3 bars

c) When I hit connect it fails, then only shows 3g, 1x. I can connect to that

d) My VPN client doesn't work either with this (in windows it does, but not vzam on mac). I can connect to anywhere else via a browser

e) so... basically this entire thing is turning out to be a nightmare, waste of money!

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

You need to remove the network profile hack and apply latest version of VZAccess + firmware update on Windows/Mac. Then reboot. Then run the Mac version. You need to make sure the latest version of VZAccess is also on the Mac. Sign I really regret posting that, and I wish there was a way to delete posts on this forum because it screwed up a-lot of peoples SIM cards that don't have engineering knowledge like me. 

The reason it isn't connecting because it isn't getting the right CID number from the APN config because you overwrote it with my hack of #1 which is a VZW IMS APN which is needed for their eHRPD LTE RAN.

Apply this fix:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3486/63/

(Bottom with the CLI).

Reboot, make sure the firmware update is applied on the VZAccess and the card. Now you can connect with 4G in the Mac.

0 Likes
rutiger

i updated vzam and the modem firmware using windows/fusion.  i'm currently connected in osx on 3g and connected to vpn.  so for the first time everything is working.  i'll have to test 4g later today when i'm in a 4g area.

so, the info the vz tech gave me about vpn not working on these cards seems to be **bleep**.  unless it's somehow specific to when you're connected to 4g vs 3g?

0 Likes
rutiger

as noted in the other thread here it's not working in 4g area.  works on windows, 4g, and vpn.  in osx it never works.

0 Likes
SSandy

I want to thank all the excellent people in this community who responded to this thread.  As soon as "MRSPEAKERS" posted his explanation and instruction links, I followed them and, lo and behold, everything is working great using VZAccess in native Mac OSX 10.6.6.  I haven't yet moved out of 4G area while connected, so I don't know how well the software transitions between 4G and 3G but I doubt this will be a big issue even if I have to disconnect and reconnect.

Again, thanks for the detailed and successful explanations and instructions!

Sandy

0 Likes
rutiger

could you do a at+cgdcont? and post your output?

0 Likes