LTE speeds plummet
bellju

At the end of April, my plan was switched from a limited data plan to an unlimited plan. About a weeks in, suddenly my LTE speeds plummeted and my reception grew spotty as well and they have been consistently terrible ever since (despite having actual line of sight on the nearest tower). I have yet to even come close to the throttle point (22gb) because I can barely use my phone to do much of anything online anymore, which is problematic because it is my main source of internet access. To complicate things further, the issue is not only affecting me. I share the plan with my father, mother, and sister. My mother has noticed it happen to her too, but my father is unaffected. Despite the same network and same plan, when I ran a speed test right next to my father this morning, barely a foot apart, he ran 4gb down and 2gb up, while I was running 0.8 down and 1 up. I've yet to ask my sister about it, but she'll be visiting soon so we'll see. Videos barely load, webpages even crawl, and some of the apps I use suddenly can barely function.

0 Likes
Re: LTE speeds plummet
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us today, bellju. We understand how essential it is to have reliable data speeds, especially when you use it for work. It is definitely strange that you noticed this change when you upgraded to unlimited data, so let's investigate this further. Which plan did you upgrade to (Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited, or Above Unlimited)? Also, does this mostly happen indoors, or also outdoors? AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@bellju wrote:

At the end of April, my plan was switched from a limited data plan to an unlimited plan. About a weeks in, suddenly my LTE speeds plummeted and my reception grew spotty as well and they have been consistently terrible ever since (despite having actual line of sight on the nearest tower). I have yet to even come close to the throttle point (22gb) because I can barely use my phone to do much of anything online anymore, which is problematic because it is my main source of internet access. To complicate things further, the issue is not only affecting me. I share the plan with my father, mother, and sister. My mother has noticed it happen to her too, but my father is unaffected. Despite the same network and same plan, when I ran a speed test right next to my father this morning, barely a foot apart, he ran 4gb down and 2gb up, while I was running 0.8 down and 1 up. I've yet to ask my sister about it, but she'll be visiting soon so we'll see. Videos barely load, webpages even crawl, and some of the apps I use suddenly can barely function.

A) it's not a throttle point. It's deprioritzation and that different from throttling

B) Are you sure you are on the Beyond Unlimited plan and not on Go Unlimited?

0 Likes
bellju

It is most notable in and around my home. But it happens almost anywhere. Speeds make it so I can almost do nothing. The plan is Go Unlimited, I'm told.

0 Likes
bellju

Nothing? Took me 10 minutes to check this thread. That's how slow things have become. Actual dial up speeds on 4g LTE. This is so absurd.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bellju wrote:

It is most notable in and around my home. But it happens almost anywhere. Speeds make it so I can almost do nothing. The plan is Go Unlimited, I'm told.

The Go Unlimited Plan can be deprioritized at any time when there is congestion. Please read the FAQs. 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/go-unlimited-faqs/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bellju

So what you're saying is I'm paying Verizon $231.38 every month and on a whim they can basically choose to make my phone basically inoperable? 0.17 down, 0.55 up. That's batdirt insane. That means I'm being robbed by Verizon. I'm actually paying for phone service I literally am not getting.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bellju wrote:

So what you're saying is I'm paying Verizon $231.38 every month and on a whim they can basically choose to make my phone basically inoperable? 0.17 down, 0.55 up. That's batdirt insane. That means I'm being robbed by Verizon. I'm actually paying for phone service I literally am not getting.

That bill likely includes other items such as phone payments, insurance, finally taxes and regulatory fees to reach that amount. 

My single line is about $105 per month now after I added a phone payment with a plan similar to the Beyond Unlimited Plan. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information, bellju. Do you have these same speeds everywhere or only in certain areas? Are calls and texts being affected?

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
FlAnalyst
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem with my Go Unlimited 55+ Loyalty Plan.  When it works it's fast (20 Mbs or higher) but when it doesn't (and that's too often) the data slows to near zero.  In all fairness, I don't think this forum is the appropriate place for this discussion because it is clearly a corporate policy that needs to be addressed to the FCC.  Verizon and the other carriers that use prioritization  are not providing services as they should for the fees that they charge.

0 Likes