LTE problem 1 bar
Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I turn on LTE, I get 1 bar but when I turn it off I get 5 bars 3G. I live on the 14th floor (unobstructed) in a busy neighborhood in Brooklyn that is listed as having good service.  My neighbor has 5 bars but me, merely 1. I just got a replacement 5S at the Apple Store in case the antenna was defective but now it is still stuck at 1 bar.  Help.  I have the newest IOS update.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE problem 1 bar
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chum1,

Let's look into this further and ensure you are getting the service you deserve! What's your zip code? Does this happen only in your home?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, thanks! I am in 11217 but honestly, it isn't too great anywhere, never more than 3-4 bars in different places in NYC, usually 2-3. But it is generally worse at home, where I need it most.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chum1, we want you to have the best wireless experience possible no matter where you go! At this time, no issues have been reported in New York. However, you mentioned that you're having issues in more than one place which prompts us to take a closer look at your device. Try resetting the network on that iPhone in Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network.

Wireless reception can be challenging indoors. As a result, it's very normal for signal to fluctuate. Have you ever had reliable service at your residence?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never had Verizon before but my neighbor across the hall has five bars. I've done the reset stuff, I got a new phone in case it was the antenna, I got a new sim card.  I've done everything possible.  I've spent hours with Apple and with the in-store people.  Maybe it is just that Verizon isn't as good as claimed in NYC? I don't know what else to try.

Weth
Legend

You may be picking up band 4 XLTE, where an older phone would only be able to pick up band 13.  It is very possible an overloaded band 13 tower with 5 bars would perform worse than 1 bar of a band 4 tower that is not overloaded.  Also band 13 penetrates buildings better, so signal strength higher, whereas band 4 doesn't.  

You can check what band you are using on an iPhone by going to phone dialer and dialing:

*3001#12345#*

you will now be in field test.click on serving cell info and look at frequency band indicator. 

I Would go by performance and not bars, how is the speed?  

IF it makes you feel better, this happens to me, but speed remains good, and I know the logical why it is happening, so I am good with it.  Happens with every phone with XLTE.

0 Likes
Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Weth, thanks so much but I have no idea what you are talking about but I did what you advised and the Freq Band Indicator is "4" -- I am not worried about data speeds, as I am on my wifi for data.  I am worried about call quality which is no good at 1 bar, except in one very tiny corner of my apartment, where for some odd reason, I occasionally get 3 bars.  But it is impossible to stand in that spot for long.  I work at home, so need the phone part to work well, if possible. 

Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will the Verizon people ever respond?

Snn5
Legend

Does XLTE have an effect on call quality?  I know it would with HD Voice, but what about standard calls?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They did. Three and two days ago.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes