Re: Inoperable LTE service in midtown manhattan
Nordburgh

It doesn't matter if more people use it. It matters that it works as advertised and you get what you pay for. With locked in contracts they are taking advantage of their customers by NOT upgrading their network to handle it. This problem has been going on for almost two years. Please stop being a fan boy. Verizon is not your friend. Verizon is a business that wants to make a profit.

Here this is how they did during their last reporting earnings: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-21/verizon-beats-estimates-as-mobile-phone-users-increase-spen...

After reporting a fourth-quarter wireless margin of 47 percent -- up 5.6 percentage points from a year earlier -- Verizon executives said today they may make adjustments to contend with the no-contract plans, lower roaming fees and other discounts offered by rivals such as T-Mobile USA.

Verizon’s wireless results beat analysts’ estimates for subscribers, spending and profits. While the company’s 1.6 million new monthly subscribers were down from a record 2.1 million a year earlier, they beat the average estimate of 1.3 million new subscribers, based on a Bloomberg survey of nine analysts.

The average mobile-phone bill increased 7.1 percent to $157.21, above the $156.38 average estimate. The wireless division’s 47 percent profit margin compared with an estimate of 46.4 percent.

The company has managed to keep expanding profits amid tougher competition because it has a reputation for better customer service and network quality.

What did the customer get for their 7.1% increase in their bill? Not much if you live and work in Manhattan.

Unfortunately for me and a lot of other people we do not get better network quality. Verizon Wireless is earning large profits, yet the situation in NYC and parts of Long Island has been poor for almost two years. This is unacceptable when you are tied down to a contract and can't leave because of poor service without paying a penalty.

Hats off to T-Mobile for their promotion that is working. And if their service starts to tank then I'll switch again. I have no loyalty to any of these companies. Whomever provides the best service for the money will get my money. And right now that isn't Verizon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Of course it matters. If a cell tower can only handle 150 Mbps and the maximum 400 connections are connected to it, then each connection is going to be limited to 375 kbps. So it would be impossible to get the 5-12 Mbps that Verizon says you should usually get. And if there is 1000 people wanting to connect 600 are going to have to wait until some of those other 400 are no longer on the network. This is basic math.

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I was in midtown Manhattan yesterday in the vicinity of Rockefeller Center and had very slow LTE with my iPhone 5.  At home in central NJ, I typically get at least 15 Mbps downstream, less that what I had a year ago but still better than Manhattan. During 2012-2013 I was getting up to 30 Mbps downstream at home. Verizon, are you listening?

0 Likes