Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
brianko8

I'm one of many that is having the same issue.  My data usage has doubled since I have upgraded to galaxy S5.  The usagage has not changed for neither my wife nor I but our data which never went over 4 gbs is now consistently going over 6.  It seems like other users are not getting much help regarding this issue.  Maybe it's time to go to T-mobile...

0 Likes
classaction2787
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have this problem. I have had Verizon for two months and literally turn my data off every time I leave wifi. I had tmobile with 2 gigs and never got close to it. I was over my first 15 days and paid 15 extra the first month to not be able to use data for half the month. I love how in the first few comments of this thread the Verizon representative says no need to investigate further. That's because they know all you have to do is Google this problem and you can find 1000's of these claims. I am talking with a lawyer friend of mine about a class action suit and an investigation into these " isolated problems" that thousands of people seem to have with only one carrier.

Not applicable

No class actions allowed per decision of the US Supreme Court.

Verizon has arbitration and single right of action.

No reputable attorney would even consider filing a frivolous action.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

There's no need to consider another wireless provider brianko8! We can partner together and check your data usage right here! Does your wifi signal fluctuate when you are connected? Also, are you mostly on your home wifi or another network, like work, school, public? Keep in mind that whe the wifi signal is weak or unavailable, the device will not make an audible noise alert when handing off data usage to our network.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
21rillian
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing here used over a gig in 1 hour..... I don't think it's verizon... I think it's the s5 and Samsung specifically.....I had an iPhone 5, same exact plan, no plan change at all. The first hour I turned on the new s5..... boom my cycle is from the 6th to the 7th,  I activated the new phone on the 28th,   and immediately got a message at 75 percent of my usage,  an hour later I received another saying I used 90 percent of my 2 gig plan..... spent hours on phone with Verizon .... the s5 has a million things running in the back ground......we turned all those off,   and it seems to have helped,  but if you get the wrong idiot on the phone..... they will tell you that the solution is to turn off your data when your on wifi,  which is preposterous...... if it's a smart phone,  it should know....and I was also told,  that it will automatically switch if the wifi is weak .......to use the stronger signal...... which means if your wifi dips.... (which most do, often)  it will automatically connect to the Verizon server.....ridiculous...... I am so frustrated with this, and google...... because it's not just samsung or android......it's their dumb ass partnership with google....and Google needs to update everything  29 times a day...for no reason at all except to make sure they know everything your doing all the time

0 Likes
21rillian
Enthusiast - Level 1

And I was also told that if you connect to a hotspot......if it's not present stored in your phone.....it will still use the data to connect to the hotspot which defeats the entire purpose of having a hotspot in the first place.....WTF???   and also..... I was on my own wifi when that gig went though,  I only haven't been on wifi for like an hour since I got this phone......and have not possibly used more than .25 of one gig no mater what I've done.........there are 2 phones on this plan,  with 2 gigs data each..... the other phone which has never used more than .50 gigs in the last year and was recently also switched from iphone to galaxy s4 has now somehow used 90 percent of 3 gigs this first month...... (we added the 3rd gig after getting the almost over message)  same thing......somehow we are getting screwed ....... and the only difference is the phone itself .....not the plan.... it's the same exact plan...... ps......the speaker on the s5 sucks so bad I can't even believe it they put it on the market that way........very irately  yours......Joe

0 Likes
cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

THIS IS A VERIZON ISSUE. THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH THE DEVICE OR THE

BACKGROUND APPS OR THE WI-FI.

WE SWITCHED BACK TO T-MOBILE ON 9/23 AND HAVE BEEN USING OUR SMARTPHONES

AND AN ADDITIONAL TABLET ABOUT 5X MORE THAN WE DARED TO DURING OUR TWO

UNHAPPY MONTHS ON VERIZON'S DATA "PLAN."

HERE IS A SUMMARY OF WHAT DATA WE HAVE USED SINCE LEAVING VERIZON 17 DAYS

AGO.

Samsung Galaxy S5 #1 -- 239MB Used. Browser open 18 hours/day, live

connection and updates from work email, some video, some group chats. With

Verizon, we were obsessively closing browser windows, checking wi-fi

connections, trying to turn off apps, and following the advice that

Verizon's customer service reps are posting on this message board.

Samsung Galaxy S5 #2 -- 0.7GB Used. Browser open 18 hours/day for

surfing, video and Twitter posts.

Samsung Note Tablet -- 131MB Used. Heavy work email connection and use,

updates 24/7.

So, for a half-month, we have used a little over 1GB data without being

concerned about our Wi-Fi connection, open browser windows, short video

viewings, and constant email connection to work. With Verizon, we would go

through 3GB in the same time period, using the data features far less with

two comparable Samsung G4's and no tablet.

Even if we go over our 3MB data plan on T-Mobile there will never be a

charge.

I posted under the username "cristobahow" a few weeks ago upon leaving

Verizon, promising an update. I made the switch back to T-Mobile on

September 23rd. With Verizon, we kept exceeding our data caps and

increased our allotment. We paid the $15 "overage" fee twice before saying

"no more." Verizon should not be charging customers one extra dime until

they resolve the structural issue that is spiking data "use" and charges

with NO justification.

I hope all of you explore your options. Good Luck.

Chris

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM, 21rillian <forums@verizonwireless.com>

johninbigd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow. I'm suddenly running into this same thing. My daughter usually uses less than 1 Gig up to about 1.4 Gig. This month Verizon says she has used over 4 GB and I know that she is usually on Wifi. I know for a fact that she'll be sitting at home on WIFI and I'll get a text alert saying that we're running out of data on our plan. We actually did run out this month and now it's saying that in a couple of days we've already used up most of our extra allotment.

Here's the kicker. I checked the usage details on my account and it says that she used 500 MB today on the way home from school. Really? No, she didn't. Then it said that she used 1 GB earlier this week while I was with her and she wasn't even using her phone! Are you freaking kidding me? She was at practice for two hours (meaning: not using her dang phone!) and then we went to dinner. She wasn't using her phone that entire time, yet Verizon says she used 1 GB of data.

Something is up and I'm about to switch. This is absolutely absurd.

flower987
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden. I switched phones and now I use five times the data. Something is very wrong.

0 Likes
flower987
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. Been with Verizon for years but this data thing is really (removed) me off. And it seems that there is alot of us having the same problem, and it all seems to be very recent. Especially with trading new phones

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator