Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
I_mnotanatm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please answer this question.  Why would the data usage for the crazy high amounts of dats be accruing at such strange intervals.  On 9/23 at 12:34 AM and again 12:34 PM...same day.  On 9/22 at 12:34 AM and 12:34 PM.  This has been going on for months.  On 9/21 it was 11:47 AM and 11:47 pm.   On 9/20 it was 11:47 PM and 11:47 AM.  On the 19th 11:47 PM.  I would like to add that at these times of day he is at home where his phone should be using WI-Fi or at work using their WI-Fi.   I await your reply!

0 Likes
cpram61
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'mnotanatm We understand your concerns about the data usage. We need more details to get to the bottom of your question. Are you viewing the data usage online via My Verizon? Is he using any backup/cloud services? Please share details and let us know what phone he is using.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
I_mnotanatm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sherita.   I understand that you need more information.  I am viewing data from my Verizon  ONLINE account, which I would assume is accurate .   He is not using backup/cloud services.  His phone is a Iphone 5.  Again,I await your response.  One more bit of information that I left off......those dates and times listed above......they are times when he is asleep (no, he doesn't go to sleep listening to Pandora). Or while he is working......he works in an ER and most shifts he doesn't get a break or lunch.....so he is not accessing his phone.  I just don't understand how anyone but Verizon benefits from some sort of application that is able to bypass your Wi-Fi and run using data when you are not actually using the phone. This is the last tidbit of info.......on his Aug usage we noticed that there was a five day period when he wasn't getting the ridiculously high and odd time of data usage.  During that period he was at a cabin WITHOUT access to Wi-Fi.....so each time he was on the internet he was accruing Data usage which were extremely minimal amounts of usage. Again, I await your reply.

0 Likes
Robbnva
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this problem on my son's iphone 5S, it happened with the old software and happening with the new software.

Specifically it is switching to cellular data every time he uses youtube. I disabled cellular data for youtube on his phone and when he goes to youtube it tells him cellular data is turned off. I am not sure why youtube would want to use celluar data when he is on wifi. He used 2 GBs of data last month in just under a week. Please tell me how to fix this issue.

Thanks

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Robbnva,

This is definitely something we can help you with! When he gets that prompt about cellular data being turned off he will have two options: Settings or Ok. If he simply selects Ok instead of settings he should be able to continue without having to go into the settings and turn data on.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the details I'mnotanatm. It's important to clarify that the information you see on My Verizon may indicate several data connections in a certain time frame so it's reported at the end of it. In addition, there may be delayed usage as it's not real time though we work to update is as soon as possible. What were the exact amounts of data on those dates? Applications running in the backgroud will cause data to spike. Please go to Settings>Cellular>Scroll to see what apps are using the most data. Keep us posted on results.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
jag868

Having the same issue as well after the update last week with my galaxy S5.  After I was told it was an "enhancement from Samsung" ( I called Samsung, they were very perplexed.  Said they had no idea what verizon was talking about.)  I was told to completely wipe my phone.  Verizon, telling your customers to go through a factory reset on a device that is failing because of an update you pushed is ridiculous.  Hope you get this issue resolved soon.

0 Likes
Robbnva
Enthusiast - Level 1

sure that is a temporary fix, but how about a permanent fix? Why is the phone using cellular data at all if the phone is on wifi.

Also just an FYI, I found a topic about this very similar thing on an apple forum so lots of other people are having the exact same issue.

0 Likes
Not applicable

And on all carriers not just Verizon.

Apple I thought fixed the leak with 8.0.2 update. So I was reading.

And its not all iPhone owners. Just some. That is strange.

0 Likes