Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
CuCu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, that's right, there IS a huge difference between MB and GB. That's the problem. Verizon notified us that our 4 GB usage (new billing cycle just started, too) was nearly up and we needed to pay up or suffer the consequences. How could that be, I thought, when we had barely used any of our data plan? We paid anyway, thinking it was a problem on our end. We upped the plan from 4 GB to 10 GB yesterday so we could continue watching movies...still on Wi-Fi exclusivelyexclusively with mobile data confirmed off. We received another notification late last night saying tha we were nearly used up our extended GB. For those of you more skilled than I, please share your wisdom and tell me what else can be done about this issue.

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Verizon reps in this thread... I'm smelling calls action lawsuit agains Verizon here. I'll be more than happy to be a part of it too.

My wife and son are on Verizon (I'm on a competing carrier) and they hit their 2 gig limit within DAYS of the billing cycle renewing. Both phones are connected to Wi-Fi at home and when they are at work/school so a majority of the data usage should be over Wi-Fi. They way you guys have these phones setup to "pick and choose" how they connect to the internet is appalling. My wife has since managed to curb most of her data usage by turning the cell service off when she's in Wi-Fi and turning the phone off when she goes to bed. My sons iPhone4 still manages to use cellular data even though we have it set to Wi-Fi when he's in a Wi-Fi covered area.

I really think that my assertion that the phones will automatically connect to the fastest connection is whats getting a lot of us into this mess. 4G is faster (in some cases) then many peoples home internet connection (especially older POTS ADSL). I've clocked my 4G mobile broadband device at close to 40-50 Megs per second when in a very well covered area. Average ADSL tops out near 6-10Megs per second. If your device is allowed to choose the larger pipe its going to hop over to 4G. I'm sure most of us are off of POTS ADSL and onto newer services but the bandwidth would be shared in a public environment (aka school/work) so that pipe that they have gets smaller as each user piggybacks on. I'm in a hotel right now and the internet speed is abysmal. However, same hotel over the weekend and its really fast.

My phone NEVER EVEN GETS CLOSE to its monthly data cap. I've had the same service for 5 years and not once have I received a message stating that I'm getting close or have gone over my data limit.

VERIZON, FIX THIS MESS!!!!

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oops.. Class action.

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

We dumped Verizon and switched back to T-Mobile after 2.5 months after it

became obvious that Verizon could not or would not fix this issue.  (my

previous posts in this thread are under username cristobalhow).  The

problem is not your phone, it is not your wi-fi, it is not background apps,

it is not you being unwilling to jump through the convoluted hoops that the

clueless Verizon reps suggest here.  The problem is uncontrolled data

charges for phantom data usage that in no way reflects what your family is

actually using.

After dumping Verizon and posting my experience here, I promised an update,

so here it is.  I have made ever effort to burn through as much data as

possible and to use something close the the 3MB-4MB data that Verizon

claimed I was using on their plan.  Last month, my total usage with the

same two Samsung phones and a tablet added up to 1.28 GB with T-Mobile.

This is with leaving browser windows open 24/7, leaving Facebook open all

day, leaving my work email account tethered to two devices with real-time

updates, and watching some short videos.  Like all of you, we were

obsessively trying to limit our data use when it became apparent that we

would exceed any Verizon data plan every month. With T-Mobile, I despite my

best efforts to burn up data, I cannot do anything that approximates the

usage Verizon claimed with the same two Samsung phones and a tablet.

T-Mobile paid all my early cancellation fees and gave me about $500 credit

for my phones and tablet.  Their policy is to never charge for 'excess

data' usage.  I was happy with them for two years, and I am happy with them

now.

I hope all of you switch because that is the only way Verizon is going to

get the message.  If you want to see a screenshot of my actual usage to

back up what I'm saying here, feel free to message me at

(removed).  Good luck and good riddance once you dump Verizon

too.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've seen those adds from T-Mobile saying that they would pay the contract early termination fees. Might be time to switch to them when my son's phone comes up for renewal.

YOU HEAR THAT VERIZON???? You can kiss this customers a** goodbye very soon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why wait for renewel? If they are paying termination fees you could do it now. Oh you have to pay it upfront and t-mobile reimburse you a few weeks to months later.

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

yeah, coming out of pocket upfront needs to be figured out before we can jump ship. If its going to be much more than T-Mobile is going to pay I'll eat it for a few months. Smiley Sad

Tidbits
Legend

They pay up to $350 per line for smartphones. It depends on which phone you submit. Submit a basic you get $175 max. You get credit per smartphone you turn in towards your new device.

you also have to buy a device outright or use EIP. You also must port your number over.

Any other questions just ask. Been a t-mobile at&t and Verizon customer for the past 10+ years. Used to have sprint to but long stor . They messed up is the short version.

Tidbits
Legend

One more thing... You will have the same problem on T-Mobile with theses devices.  on SPrint as well.  People don't notice it, but they get throttled.

MJC917
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also experiencing this issue with my Droid Turbo. I've already posted this elsewhere.

>> Duplicate post removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service   See Data usage posting to MyVerizon while I'm not using my phone (Droid Turbo 32GB) <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator