Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stilljustjen,

Thank you for your inquiry.  I completely understand your concerns.  I know that I would want a clear understanding of my usage.  What data plan are you on currently?  How much have you used of this data plan?  It sounds like you've taken some steps already to prevent high data usage.  However, one thing I would advise is that the iPhone 5 and 5c are programmed to disconnect from wifi and use mobile data when in sleep mode.  This is to increase battery life.  When wifi is present, I would turn your cellular data off completely to prevent this from happening.  Let us know if this helps at all!

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cpram61
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
cpram61
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
blondaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue with my daughter's phone.  Until May this year, my husband and I both had iPhone 4S and she had Samsung Galaxy III (so all 3G phones).   I have unlimited data and the other two had 2GB each.  They never went over their plan.

In June we all 3 got Samsung Galaxy S5's.   From day one, my husband does not use much data and it seems to be in line with his past usage.  My daughter's phone however goes through the 2GB in a matter of days (4 days sometimes) and I have been paying 3-4 times over every month.  I was starting to get really upset with her but I think it's her phone.

I have gone over her phone a couple of times and checked her settings, back ground data is turned off, set to go to wifi when not on network.  All the same stuff as my husband's and my phone, but she's using TONS more data.  When we check to see what app is using most of the data, it's Facebook.  But she has the settings on the app to only sync while on WiFi and she does not even use it that much (I think my husband and I use it way more than she does).

We have gotten usage alerts for her when she has not even touched her phone for an hour or more (while working etc.)

The real kicker is that this past week, I compared her usage to my usage for a 4 day period.  I have been streaming music on my phone while driving in the car...at least 3 hours of it.  I have hardly used any data.  She has used far more data on what, Facebook?  Something is definitely wrong and we should not have to turn off data to stop wasting our money.  If it is a phone issue, then Verizon needs to review this with the phone manufacturers and refund or provide new phones if that is the case.  This is ridiculous.    

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to be able to identify what's using your data, blondaz! Please check you're daughter's Facebook app settings. Facebook has been updated to automatically play videos that come up in the feed. This uses significantly more data. If you go to the Facebook app, and settings, this can be turned off, and may help minimize your daughter's data.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Josh_Giffin

My girl just got on my plan and noticed the same thing. If you get an app called "Juice defender" it will shut down all data when on WiFi.

0 Likes
BProctor2

My family is having the same issue. I am absolutely astonished at how many people are having this problem. We both have the iPhone 5c. My dataI have turned of cellular data for most of my apps You know how if you open an app that needs cell data or wifi and you don't have wifi it prompts you saying that cell data is turned off. I get that when opening an app and connected to WiFi. That right there tells me something isn't right. There is no need for it to use cell data at that point.

My family is seriously considering switching carriers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your data usage concerns BProctor2! I have a family of 5 and I also check constantly on ways to extend my data allotment! You are doing the right things to limit data usage, is every user in your account doing the same? I recommend also check Facebook app settings on all devices, as Facebook has been updated to automatically play videos that come up in your feed and this uses significant amounts of data. You can change this setting if you access Facebook app, then settings. I'm sure that this simple change will dramatically reduce the amount of data being used.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

We switched from T-Mobile to Verizon on June 22, with the thought of getting better coverage out of town.

After receiving our third "you have exceeded data" message in three months, and a third suggestion from Verizon that we pay more for their data "plan", we went ahead and switched our phones and tablet back to T-Mobile.  We had taken the bait and upped our data plan twice but it seemed that the Verizon system would just chew up data despite our efforts to obsessively close browser windows and only use data when connected to Wi-Fi.  Our only use was surfing Facebook and other websites, no videos, no data-heavy uses.  I consider the Verizon data product to be either a defective product or a fraud.

I could never get a real answer from Verizon as to why their way of measuring data appears to be so dramatically unfavorable compared to other carriers.  On Sunday I went into the Verizon store, and though the man who sold us the plan was very polite, his only solution was to go Wi-Fi only and turn off SmartPhone features.  At that point I had lost trust in the company.  During the next 36 hours, we were connected to Wi-Fi but somehow burned through the last 15% of our 3MB data allotment.  It was a "No More, Never Again" moment and we will never use Verizon products or services again.  There is really no advantage in giving our trust and our business to this enterprise.

So, last night I went to the T-Mobile store on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood and traded in our Samsung Galaxy 3's for two new Galaxy 5's, as well as trading in the "free" Verizon tablet.  T-Mobile gave us $330 to mitigate Verizon's early contract termination for each of the three accounts, $150 trade-in for each of the phones, and $40 for the tablet.  I thought this was pretty fair.

We signed up for a 3MB family plan and I will monitor closely how much data we use during the 3 months that we put our trust in Verizon and their 3MB plan.  If our data use exceeds 3MB in any month, T-Mobile just throttles down the speed, there is no overage charge for data use.  This is reassuring.

If we do happen to exceed our 3MB at a rate similar to what we burned through on the Verizon "plan," I will post an update and make sure that Verizon is evaluated fairly based on our actual usage.  However, I do not expect that to happen.  I believe that Verizon is either marketing a defective product, or unaware of the reason their system and phones burn through data, or just trying to wait out until consumers catch up -- like what the oil companies have done to condition us to $4/gallon gasoline.  But, in the case, we have choices, and I will never go with Verizon or any company that assesses an excess data charge again.  The temptation appears to be too great for Verizon to just keep treating customers like an ATM machine while not owning up to a systemic problem.  Do you really think that Verizon would just let this keep happening if they were on the receiving end of these charges?  The data cost them nothing, but their data plan has cost them at least one family of customers forever.

I am happy with my choice, and I hope that more of you decide to give another company a try should Verizon leave your valid concerns unresolved.  Best of luck to you.  Chris H.

0 Likes
SimplyMelz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes same thing happen to me but Customer Service and Tech Support held to there guns that if I am using wifi connection that my phone would continue to use cellular data. The line in question was not on a cellular connection because it was turned off. Good Luck at resolving your issue. I am still being held accountable for the overage. And the sad part majority of that overage was accumulated while the phones were stolen.

0 Likes