Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
cvlinn
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's interesting how so many people are having the same exact issues with this, but Verizon is responding individually to each person like there is some sort of user or technical error going on. That is a big clue that

I was with my last carrier for 14 years before 2 weeks ago switching to Verizon due to better service area. I never went above 1GB per month with my Galaxy S2 and my former carrier. But some how I have gone through 3GB in 2 weeks since switching carriers and updating to the S5.

A couple days ago, I got notice that I was 90% through with my 3GB and stayed doing some internet searching. Some of the ideas out there include Google running in the background at all times, automatic searching for updates at all times, every time the screen goes dark it switches from Wi-Fi to data, and switching to data if the Wi-Fi signal isn't as strong as 4G. So, I promptly switched all the settings I could and then completely shut off my mobile data. Imagine my frustration this afternoon when I got  another text saying I am now getting overages for data. I haven't even turned it on.

As good customer service, I expect a refund of the extra GB I just bought to cover my "overages" and some real answers about being overcharged data with Verizon that don't include my data habits, because there have been no changes. That is the least this company should do, and if it doesn't happen, I'm returning to my previous carrier who is cheaper, more predictable, and willing to meet the customer's needs.

WrinkleFreeDiva
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have deleted all of my email accounts and set them back up again. I have been without data since around August 13th. My new cycle begins on September 5th and the clock will be ticking. We will see how quickly I go through data doing next to nothing on my phone.

I want to add that during the last school year (with my Galaxy SIII) I NEVER connected to the school's wifi because of the firewall and STILL rarely, if ever used up all of my data before the end of the cycle, and at that time I had between 1 and 1.5 GB of data.

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've just decided to make the switch back to T-Mobile.  The coverage isn't as good for our area, but I had never gone over 1MB data with a similar Samsung phone.  Now I am about to exceed 3MB data after being ripped off by Verizon for a data overage last bill. 

I have lost all respect and loyalty for Verizon, the company is trying to wait out so people get used to paying the increasing data charges.  Keep waiting, you have lost most of your customer loyalty permanently.

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

Forgot to mention that I am doing everything possible to turn off data use, but the Verizon rep has informed me that you cannot set up my device to only connect when there is a WiFi signal available.  It's a waste of time and money, better to cut off this Verizon ATM just two months into my contract.  I don't care if it costs me extra, I will only deal with trustworthy companies, and Verizon is in no way trustworthy.  Adios

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cvlinn, we hope that you reconsider your decision leave and allow us to continue as your wireless provider. It's important to us that you have the best plan to fit your needs. I apologize that we're unable to refund a  GB back to you. Let's analyze your average usage to ensure that you're on the best plan to fit your needs: http://vz.to/1qhEcv5  Additionally, we also reccommend that you uninstall any applications that you no longer want and change your e-mail sync options to only update over Wi-Fi. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cristobalhow, we want to gain your respect back and continue this wireless relationship. Let's check your coverage area here http://vz.to/13N0B6O and check your average usage http://vz.to/1qhEcv5 to ensure that you're on the best plan. Which make/model phone do you have?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZW Support

0 Likes
I_mnotanatm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so frustrated.   This has been going on for months!  The unusual data usage was on my sons phone.  Verizon's answer was for me to up my data plan.  When I talked to their Tech Support person and I pointed out that the data usage was on 6 hour intervals....down to the minute....at times when my sons phone was connected to WiFi.....and it happened days in a row using Half of the data allowed on my plan.....the response was like she had never heard of this problem. It makes me wonder if this isn't a Verizon "glitch" that would certainly get customers to just up their data plan. It worked for me.  What a brilliant way to boost profits.  Millions of customers, who like me, doesn't investigate the usage, just ups the data plan.  This sounds like a "Good Question" for a segment on WCCO news in Minneapolis......I always used to wonder who would send their issue into a TV station for investigation......I guess that answered that question.....let's see if they can get a better response from Verizon than I and 70 other customers have gotten with this problem.  After all the company has millions of subscribers....70 complaints is a drop in the bucket.

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

NO. WE SHOULD MIT HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO FIGURE OUT WHY VERIZON IS

CHARM ING ALL OF IS TRIPLE OUR PREVIOUS DARA USE RATES WHEN WE ARE ALL

USING DATA FAR LESS THAN OUR PREVIOUS SERVICES. IT IS VERIZONS JOB TO

FIGURE THIS OUT, BUT I THANK YOU AGREED HAVE. NONE OF US IS BELIEVING YOUR

SALES JOB, YOU AR TRYING TO SELL US AN ATI FOR YOU COMPANY, AND WE WILL

HAVE NONE OF IT

On Sep 5, 2014 7:05 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
Tabbyjo13
Enthusiast - Level 1

My fiance and I have been with Verizon for awhile now. We never went over 4 gb of data and actually had to reduce our plan because we had a lot of excess not being used every month. Then we get the Galaxy S5 and all of a sudden we are hitting 14 gb a month! Nothing has changed, we both have Wifi at work and stiff have data charges during that time? Also, the screen on my fiance's phone started messing up about 5 days ago. It was never dropped and they still told us they would not send it in under warranty that we HAD to use our insurance and pay $100.00 to replace it. Here is the extra weird part...he can't even see his screen and has only had his work phone on for the last 5 days and when I just checked he had tons of data being used on his line the last 5 days! How is that possible when his screen isn't working and his phone has been off!! Getting very rediculous I will not continue to pay $350.00 a month for data overages when we aren't even on our phones!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tabbyjo13,

I am truly sorry to hear of the excess data usage on your lines and that your fiance is without a functioning device. Lets investigate further. Upon review usage online are both devices using excess data or is it only one of your lines? Do you both have the Galaxy S5? When you go into your Settings>Data Usage>Scroll down what shows to have used the most data? In regards to your fiances devices issues as I see you stated he has never dropped it, does the phone show any types of physical or water damage? For water damage check around the charging ports for any sign of corrosion.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes