Enthusiast - Level 2

@ArnettH_VZW why are you not replying to my inquiry? I have a samsung S5

and you are running data charges on our phones at the same time they are

connected to the wifi.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
WrinkleFreeDiva
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was on the phone with Verizon last night and today for the exact same issue. Upgraded from the Galaxy SIII to the S5 at the end of July and all of a sudden I'm having data usage issues. When I purchased the S5 I changed my Data Plan from 3 GB to 4, 2 for me, 1.5 for my son and .5 for my tablet. I have it set so that data usage stops when we hit our limit. Eight days into my cycle this month, I received a message that I had used 90% of my allocation. The next day data usage stopped because I had supposedly reached my 2 GB limit. NINE DAYS INTO MY CYCLE!!! So I have been without data since August 16th and my new cycle does not start until September 5th.

I don't stream music EVER; I don't stream movies EVER. I may view a few YouTube clips (generally 10 minutes or less) once or twice a week. I access the internet via my phone maybe a few times a day. I receive email on my phone but rarely respond via my phone unless it's urgent. Now that I'm back at work, I don't visit FB as much as I was when I was home for the summer and even then I wasn't running out of data. I may upload one or two pics a week to FB. When I am at work from about 7 to 4:30, I am connected to WiFi. When I am at home, usually right after work, I am connected to WiFi (unless the connection drops as it does from time to time since it appears that I have a crappy router).

I reached Tier 2 tech support this morning and after having me go to Settings----> Data Usage-------> he had me scroll down to look at my program data usage. Email was at the top with 1.76 GB of data used!!!! Which is ludicrous since Verizon's own data calculator shows that if you send 7,500 text only email messages in a month, you should only use 73.24 MB per month. When I looked at my phone there were approximately 2000 messages on it because for some reason when I switched phones and set up email, it downloaded a lot of old mail that I guess was still sitting on my server.  I send one or two messages a month, if that, so how in Hades did I use 1.76 GB in NINE DAYS!!!??? The tech tried to tell me that I must be getting lots of mail with lots of attachments which is not true. The amount of email I receive has been fairly consistent for YEARS! AND...I seldom, if EVER, ran out of data before the end of my cycle when I had the Galaxy S3 and I only allocated 1.5 GB for myself and the rest for my son. Then he tried to tell me that it might have something to do with Cox's server and how they're handling mail. I think he thinks I'm stupid.

Me thinks something is going on at Verizon and we need to ring their phones off the hook until they do something, OR request that the FCC do an investigation, because after reading this thread, it looks to me like a lot of people are getting the shaft.

Verizon, if you are reading this, I AM PISSED!!!! Up until this point I told everyone how great the service and customer service fro Verizon was, but if this not corrected, I will be posting this story everywhere (social media can sink you!) and changing carriers as soon as I am able to without incurring a charge.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jkricefamily,

I apologize for the delay in reply. I know it's important to understand how data is used and billed; it's a top priority for us to make sure you're billed correctly. From your Samsung S5, go to Settings>Data Usage>Scroll to the bottom to view your data usage by app.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WrinkleFreeDiva,

I truly understand how it can be frustrating when data seems to be disappearing quickly. We want to make sure we get to the bottom of the issues with your data usage. Given that your device is showing email as the main culprit for the data usage it sounds as if there is an email processing on the phone in the background. There are times when an email is either not sent out fully and is still processing and trying to send our an email that has info attached to it and is constantly trying to download. The way the software is designed if there is a email attempting to be sent or received the device with constantly try to fully process the email until it is finalized. I have actually had this happen with one of my devices before. If you could please delete and remove your email account and then test the usage for the next bill cycle http://vz.to/1q6FP0U ...

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jkricefamily,

I apologize for the delay in reply. I know it's important to understand how data is used and billed; it's a top priority for us to make sure you're billed correctly. From your Samsung S5, go to Settings>Data Usage>Scroll to the bottom to view your data usage by app. In addition, you can select the Menu icon (3 dots) and select the option to "Show Wi-FI Usage", this way you can confirm directly from your device the usage is correct. You can also see the data activity on My Verizon.

AdaS_VZW

0 Likes
shan-shan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I couldn’t sleep last night, I watched a movie from youtube and received a notification that I used 75% of my data. So, only 25% out of 2GB of data until for 25 days! I immediately turn off my cellular data and when I checked on my wifi, it was TURNED OFF!! This happened last month as well, same scenario, but I was watching a movie from Netflix.

My wifi works great. I contacted my internet provided, tested my line, everything is fine. When I saw this post, I agreed that something is up with Verizon!

Hopefully together, we can solve this issue. Thanks.

shan-shan
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, I am using an iphone 5. Which phone are you using? Verizon customer service is telling me that is a phone issue. Just curious to know which phones are you having data usage issues with. Thanks.

0 Likes
bpowell6619
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the galaxy s5 n it's dining the same thing n i tested it today been on wifi all day and my data went up .5 g Verizon needs to get this shit fixed

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

shan-shan,

This is definitely odd and we want to get to the bottom of this asap. The only reason wi-fi would disconnect would be being too far from the router. Have you been able to keep the connection from the same location with this phone? Please test the connection with Ariplane Mode on and let us know if wi-fi still turns off. Airplane Mode will disable Cellular Data but will not prevent you from connecting to Wi-Fi.

AdaS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bpowell6619,

Let's look into your concern as well, we really need to find out what's going on here. Please go to Settings>Data Usage>Scroll to the bottom to see what apps are using data and how much you have used, given the bill cycle is correct. In addition, selecting the Menu icon on the top right, you can select to view 'Wi-fi usage'. Are you able to see activity? This is where you can confirm the phone is using wi-fi when connected.

AdaS_VZW

0 Likes