Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand your concern with an increase in usage, amandahudson79. When you go int Settings>Data Usage and scroll down to the apps listed, what are the top 3 applications? Do you have your data usage cycle in this screen set to mirror your billing cycle dates?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
jkricefamily
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I am running into the same issues. My daught r and my son's phones (S5's) have the 4G lte icon lit up at the same time the wifi is lit up. Her phone says she has used .73 gb but verizon shows 2.gb used. My wife and I both have S5's and do not have the issue.  Can an app change from wifi to 4g with out asking?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jkricefamily- We want everyone in the family to have the right plan and settings for their needs! I can confirm the phone is designed to show both icons. If WiFi is connected and stable it will always be the main data connection. To accurately correlate the cellular data showing on phone and through My Verizon make sure Settings>Data Usage has the dates identical to your bill cycle.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
jkricefamily
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is not correct to have both logos lit up. I have 4 phones and only two

have the 4Glte lit up when on wifi. The other two you can see the logo but

it is not lit up. The two that are lit are my kids phones. I think there is

something wrong here.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like those phones are not connecting properly to the wifi router. Did you consider turning off the cellular data connection on those phones?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jkricefamily
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have done that. I feel it is an app that keeps the data open and

available.

0 Likes
LindsBish
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem out of the BLUE!  I have been a Verizon customer since 1999, and an iPhone user since 2011. I am on wifi at home AND now at work since last month I all of a sudden went over my data for the first time with no change in routine activity or app usage.  Since I am essentially connected to wifi 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, which is more than ever before, I should be using LESS data.  I had Apple look at my features and everything is running the way it should.  What will you do to fix this problem?

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

It has become obvious to everyone posting here that Verizon is calculating data (to its financial advantage) in a way that is different than its own previous methods, and different from that of other phone companies.  It may not be your company's intention to do this, but I can't believe you did not foresee that people would be getting charged a LOT more for what they consider normal smartphone activities.  If we spend all our time trying to close windows, and wondering if you are charging a toll when any brief break in WiFi service occurs, then you are marketing an unfavorable product and you should be up front about what kind of data charge increases we should expect.  Bottom line is that all of us are using LESS data,and getting charges MUCH MORE by Verizon for the privilege.  Losing all respect for your organization.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is right here, front and center LindsBish! May I ask which iPhone do you have? Also, what iOS and carrier version do you have installed? Can I assume that you do not have any liquid/physical damage on your device? It's critical that your software is up to date as Apple Inc. has came out with a patch to improve the efficiency of wifi connections on the device.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LindsBish, I definitely want to be sure that the phone is using wifi and cellular data at the appropriate times. Could you go to Settings>General>Software Update. What version are you on? Does it show if there is an available update? Also, do you turn cellular data off, when you are on wifi? Please follow up with us, so we can get to the bottom of this for you!

SandyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes