How does Verizon pick which cities get 4G first
DamKam2802

I'm currently employed in the USN and currently located in Portsmouth VA. I've been searching around and it seems that there is no 4G coverage any where near here. My research also states that Verizon chooses the major cities. What exactly does that mean by population. If so the Hampton Roads area AKA the 7 cities is very well populated. I don't know if Verizon is aware that the largest naval base in the world is here in Norfolk. In the world they would be covering a whole wide range of Verizon customers. In fact the only 4G coverage here is Tmobile soon to be AT&T. Virginia isn't on anyone's list to even coming soon. I don't get it. Maybe if Verizion was to get true LTE in the area first maybe they can get more customers to switch. I'm just saying.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How does Verizon pick which cities get 4G first
LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello and thank you to the community for the great information provided. 

There are many factors taken in consideration prior to launching 4G in a specific market. We are continuously expanding 4G and excited about launching 4G in different markets. We appreciate your patience while waiting for 4G. 

For additional 4G information and/or to sign up for 4G updates, follow the link below:

4G

Thank you, 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Dburger66
Makes you wonder... Wichata Falls Tx, pop ~107,000 just got 4G, Hampton Roads, pop 1.6 million no 4G.
0 Likes
Andreas601
Contributor - Level 1

It depends on a variety of factors, including fiber availability, funding, permits needed to make modifications to cell sites for LTE equipment and panels, the number of cell sites in a market, etc. etc.

It is often much easier to get smaller towns (with fewer cell sites) lit up then big cities where it may take longer to get necessary modification permits, equip all cell sites with new panels and equipment and get fiber optics to enough cell sites for adequate coverage at launch.

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3
What ^^^^^^ said, it's not all about population because of course vzw would like to have the largest populations set up in LTE first, it just isn't always the most reasonable thing to do. Also I take offense at you comparing HSPA+ to LTE.
0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
I live in a small town 30 miles from Omaha, NE which was recently turned onto 4g. The 4g coverage that Verizon touts doesn't even cover all of Council Bluffs, a suburb of 57,000 people that adjoins Omaha. We barely get 3g coverage in Carson, which is 20 miles east of CB. I've complained about the service since moving here in 2004. They choose which areas they want to serve. It's that simple. But they sure want your payment on time every month.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fatdog1028 wrote:
I live in a small town 30 miles from Omaha, NE which was recently turned onto 4g. The 4g coverage that Verizon touts doesn't even cover all of Council Bluffs, a suburb of 57,000 people that adjoins Omaha. We barely get 3g coverage in Carson, which is 20 miles east of CB. I've complained about the service since moving here in 2004. They choose which areas they want to serve. It's that simple. But they sure want your payment on time every month.

Carson, IA is within 7 miles of a line to the south where Verizon coverage is limited to Voice and Extended 1x data.  I don't know why the company has been able to expand their network to cover these area.  There might be a regional carrier that controls the frequencies Verizon needs or regulatory issues.  I have noticed there is an area closer to Omaha/Council Bluffs that is under the same Extended 1x for the 3G network has 4G LTE coverage now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Contributor - Level 1

Ann154 wrote:

Fatdog1028 wrote:

Carson, IA is within 7 miles of a line to the south where Verizon coverage is limited to Voice and Extended 1x data.  I don't know why the company has been able to expand their network to cover these area.  There might be a regional carrier that controls the frequencies Verizon needs or regulatory issues.  I have noticed there is an area closer to Omaha/Council Bluffs that is under the same Extended 1x for the 3G network has 4G LTE coverage now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more examples of this in the future. VZW has 700 Mhz licenses across the country, including areas where they do not have any cellular/PCS licenses where users will roam onto regional carriers for CDMA/EVDO instead.

0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
My phone doesn't roam on the extended network, it just doesn't get any signal at all at times. U.s. Cellular has a tower within sight of my house. I'm thinking a consistent 3g signal with them would be better than the sporadic 3g coverage I'm getting now and the promise of future 4g coverage that will be just as bad.
0 Likes
soshsrpdevy
Beaumont, Port Arthur, TX with only combined pop of 300,000 got it to. And I must say it its nice to have.
0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

the truth is there is a big bulliten board with a map of the us on it in the ceo's office

whenever its time to choose a new city he covers his eyes and tosses a dart

0 Likes