Home AC Router with 4G Modem Support
UBigDummie

Hey guys,

I've been using a Cradlepoint MBR95 with a Pantech UML295 for a couple of years now. The internet works great, but I'm wanting better features and greater wi-if coverage than the Cradlepoint offers. I'm not as interested in the enterprise features.

Currently, the Cradlepoint and UML295 are outside in a solar powered shed. Behind that, I am using an ASUS RT-AC5300 router, but I have to use it only as an access point. There is no support for the Pantech modem on the ASUS. I've seen online where a few people have had success with these 2 units working together, but I have not been so lucky. Verizon was willing to help, but wasn't able to. ASUS support was a joke and really didn't understand using a 4G modem as the source of Internet.

So, I would like to know if anyone has had any success using any brand of the newer line of AC wi-if routers with the Pantech UML295 modem? I've been looking at the Nighthawk X10 from Netgear and the AC7200 from TP-Link. I'm open to any router with great wi-fi coverage. I just want to use only 1 router.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ASUS RT-AC5300 Router with USB730L Modem Works Great!
jokazeek
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon's newer USB730L modem works well with the ASUS RT-AC5300 as long as you're not using 192.168.1.0/24 as your private IP space. Settings within USB730L accepted changing the default IP space on the modem but after a restart kept defaulting back. Resolved by changing my RT-AC5300 routers LAN space.

RT-AC5300 Router Steps:

1.) Change private IP space of RT-AC5300 to non-overlapping space (e.g. Verizon default is 192.168.1.0/24 and defaults back after a restart (Default: Previous DHCP leases will expire in 24hrs)

2.) Ensure RT-AC5300 router has correct default gateway to new space, mine did not automatically update and was still 192.168.1.1 even though my IP space was 192.168.2.0/24

3.) Select USB Application > 3G/4G

4.) Enable USB Mode and Select USB Device (USB Modem) and leave all settings at default

5.) Within WAN Menu/Level (same as above) Select Dual WAN and change Primary WAN to USB

6.) Apply and wait for restart then proceed

Verizon USB730L Steps:

3.) Login to USB730L via Windows and set connection preference to 'Auto-connect if not roaming'

4.) Tether to USB730L modem via USB 3.0 or 2.0 port to allow the router auto negotiate settings (including routing table)

You should now be able to access both your private LAN IP space (i.e. https://192.168.2.1) and Verizon's USB730L modem IP space (http://192.168.1.1)

0 Likes
Re: Home AC Router with 4G Modem Support
bearone21
Legend

fwiw: i just changed service with my internet provider & walked out with a combo modem/router that doubled both hardwired computer + wi-fi speeds on speed checks with both ookla & the provider.

0 Likes