Re: Grossly misrepresenting data usage
NMBelle
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
rsproba
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the EXACT same issue after switching from an unlimited 3G plan to 4G mobile hotspots on the Share Everything plan.  I normally use between 6-12 gig per month with an all-time high of 15 gigs.  Now, I am on track to use 38 gigs this month, but Verizon's plans only go up to 20 gigs, so with overages, my bill is estimated to be over $600!!!  I am metered my data, and I show totals about 1/5 of what Verizon is claiming.  Strangely enough, my local Verizon retailer gets data usage totals approximately equal to what I show on the meters.  My local sales rep has been trying to get Verizon Corporate to explain the difference with no luck!  Please help!  Should we contact the FCC????  I already contacted my local news station.  We'll see where that gets me.

0 Likes
Steve_Davis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really sympathize with you.

Verizon never could explain why I jumped from less than 10 or 15GBs a month

for a year or so to the 50 to 60 GBs a month for two months. They did take

away the extra $450 charge for one month but I paid an extra $150 for of

the second month. I may have had an extra 5 or 10 GBs that month because I

did a clean reinstall of Windows 7. Norton remotely search my PC and found

I was virus free so that wasn't the issue. Norton also said I had some

corrupted Windows files due a long-gone virus or Trojan horse. The install

required me to download at least two years of Windows updates which probably

used the extra 10 GBs data.

I made at least 10 calls to Verizon tech support with many promised return

calls that never happened. I finally lost patience when one tech suggested

that I stop using the service for the last 10 days of the month to see if

that helped. Why would I pay $160 for a service I couldn't use? I kept

asking to speak to a supervisor but none ever called me back. Finally, I

guess they realized that I would call every day to complain so one tech

asked what would satisfy me. After much give and take, the tech said his

supervisor would agree to settle it.

I did threaten to go to the FCC but I never had to take it that far. Even

though many of the tech said they could only take 10 of 15% of the data off,

they eventually gave me much more.

Interestingly, my data use is back down to below what I used before.

Through the first 12 days of my month, I am only using 2.5 GBs. I can't

explain it and neither could Verizon.

Good luck. I wish I had a better solution for you.

0 Likes
SFullmer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey All...

For the past 3 months minimum, I too have been having data usage discrepancies in the form of major unexplained, unwarranted usage spikes that come out of nowhere. I am also experiencing discrepancies with the various meters that report my usage, such as the data usage total reported via text message when I use #DATA on my cell phone, the My Verizon online network account data usage total, and my usb modem usage meter total.

Generally speaking, I've noticed 500 mbs to 4 gig jumps in data usage over 2-24 hour periods, when such large amounts of data should not have been used. At first I thought it was a delay in usage reporting. But through careful monitoring and personal knowledge gained through experience of what constitutes data usage and the activities that expend data allowances, I soon realized that my usage activity was not being correctly reported.

For example, just this morning, within 2 hours of usb modem usage, doing usage activities that should not have totaled more than 100-200 mbs, my usage report jumped almost an entire gig right before my eyes. Also, a couple of days ago, I experienced an overnight 500 mb jump in data usage while I slept. It's disconcerting to say the least to end the day with a data usage total in mind, and to wake up to a major unexplained increase.

I've been in contact with Verizon several times to report these discrepancies and to chase down credits for errors in overage incurred. To this date, they have been cooperative in issuing overage credits, but have yet to fix said discrepancies.

Almost a week ago, a fix-it ticket has supposedly been issued on my account to address these large usage spikes and usage meter discrepancies. I've spent hours on the phone with many customer reps and technicians working on these usage discrepancies, all saying I will be contacted via telephone within 72 hrs. with an update on the fix. No calls from the reps ever take place. In fact, the last technical support rep. Brad, went so far as to offer to set-up an appointment, promising to call me today at 11:30 am... 2 hours later, I've yet to hear from him.

By all appearances, incorrect usage reporting is definitely a major problem that Verizon needs get a handle on. It is not too much to ask for accurate, timely reporting of data usage, and I would like to be given the tools that reliably assist me in monitoring and controlling my data usage.

I can't help but wonder how many customers are being taken advantage of who don't monitor their data usage. Unclaimed credits for overage charges, and increased data allowance packages that customers, like me, initiate to cover their supposed, steadily growing high volume usage, means a pretty big pay day for Verizon

dphone

(Deleted duplicate post as per VZW ToS, same information already posted on this link: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785708)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
NMBelle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing was happening to me.  Large amounts of data at odd hours of the night and day. Verizon bumped me from 6 to 10 GB and credited my account $20.  The next month the rep called me back and said that they did find out they were having data issues and that I only used about 6 GB not the 12 that their system had shown at the end of my billing cycle.  They put me back down to 6 GB which is still a lot considering I also use wifi.  I'm going to likely switch to 4 GB at the end of my billing cycle depending on my usage.  Call and ask for technical support and tell them you have talked to another customer who was informed by a Verizon Tech support rep that this is an issue with Verizon's system reporting erroneous data usage and make sure they don't overcharge you.  I think they were purposely trying to gouge ususpecting customers.

0 Likes
abright4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a recent Verizon customer and work at home for a tech company.  I have had the 4G aircard for 1 month.  Prior to that I used an aircard through nTelos.  With nTelos, I would use 6-9 gigs/months.  In 2 years, 9 gig was the max I ever used during a particularly busy month and can produce the bills showing the usage.  With Verizon, I am noticing that it is showing I am downloading 1.5 gigs PER DAY!!  I am doing the exact same job, using the exact same VPN, same computer & same software as I have been using the last 2 years.  The excessive and variant data usage seems extremely odd.  Some days it can be 1.5 gigs and other days 133K.  There is no way there is that kind of daily variation in what I'm doing and with the previous 2 year history with another provider.

0 Likes
K4HDirector
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issues here.  I've spent hours on the phone with Verizon techs.  Most of them have no clue.  According to Verizon I'm downloading over 1 gig per day also which is nuts!  I've had bills over $500 per month, I've switched from mi-fi to Home Fusion which appears to be even more off in accurate usage reports.  Now I turn off my computer each time I update email. I have to be online to manage my business so this is definitely not working for me. I'm looking for software to monitor and compare with Verizon but based on different stories I'm getting from different techs some say it's close real-time others say it's 2 hours behind.  Bottom line is I'm on a fixed income, I depend on internet access for my business and I live in a rural area.  It's funny no matter what plan I'm on, I seem to exceed it.  We definitely should report this and do something about it.  There has to be a telecommunications consumer complaint board same as banking and insurance industry.  Will look into it today and post here IF we can form a group to show this is happening to many. 

K4HDirector
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention!  You can use the old Verizon VZ Access Manager to see data usage (does not work on Mac of course) for Home Fusion usage.  The 9th tech tried this out with me and what I saw I couldn't believe.  I have 3 computers.  The usage monitor showed 2 to 3 of my computers in "Active" stage when the system was turned off.  The tech checked this to make sure that it was not recording data usage but I really don't believe it was not if it still showed active.  When I switched to another computer then the "active" changed to inactive but still showed 2 computers as active when I was only using one.  I'm contacting the FCC to see what options we have to file a complaint.  There's no excuse this, especially when I have to pay for internet connection before I can buy food!

RobinMcV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same friggin boat here! We purchased the Mi-fi 4G LTE for $150.00 plus tax and the 3G 30day deal for $60.00 on the 16th...here we are on the 19th and I got an email last night saying we have already used up 2G!! At this rate its gonna cost us $900.00!!!

0 Likes