Re: Frustrated With Lack of 4G LTE
meteorguy68
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't believe 4G LTE is still not up and running in Paducah, KY. AT&T indicates LTE will be turned on in west Kentucky 1st Quarter 2013. Be kind of a shame if AT&T gets fired up here before Verizon. We are on I-24, near the KY Lakes area. Lots of people through this area. Weird. Must be some hang up on deployment / readying the region for 4G LTE somewhere.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah I' kind of amazed it isn't in that area. It's not even in Murray and there is an university there. They did light it up in Hazel recently it goes pretty close to Murray. Part of Murray is in the 4G extended so maybe it will be there soon.

0 Likes
applerule

I live in Weaverville, NC which is plainly in the LTE coverage area...but the only way I get 4G is by using an external antenna mounted on the side of my house (I use it for internet access for my home)...and with that I only get 2 bars of 4g (about 80db RSSI).  I can only sporadically get 4G on my phone with no amp/antenna at my house.  Marion looks like it's in a fringe area according to the map and has spots of 4G extended, but the map is basically worthless.  It's very frustrating because it is like the map is way over exaggerated and even though there are spots of 4G on the map in Marion, I've never seen it there either.  According to the map, it looks like you should be getting 4g on I-40 in Marion, but the truth is that as soon as you go through Black Mountain you don't pickup 4g again until Morganton.

0 Likes
Not applicable

4G maps are first of all approximate. There is no such thing as a perfect map. Second it can not take into account things like trees and buildings. Also building materials can hurt reception. My dad lives close to a tower but his house has aluminum siding which just kills a lot of the signal. A brick house, stucco, metal roofing, aluminum face insulation etc etc will also kill a signal.

0 Likes
Frustrated With Lack of 4G LTE
meteorguy68
Enthusiast - Level 2

4G LTE is now on, northwest and west of Metropolis, though I didn't see any announcement (not that there has to be). 30mbps/8mbps down/up toward Joppa, IL. Interesting, it's near Joppa along the Ohio, but not in Paducah. It was really fast, and great. Cool to finally get to try it out in our area here.

0 Likes
Not applicable

We never got an announcement and you'll see it show up before it's announced or shows up on a map. Though it is on the current map which gets updated on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Not sure why Verizon is way behind in west Kentucky. You'd think they'd at least have Murray covered by now. It does have a university there.

0 Likes
meteorguy68
Enthusiast - Level 2

They turned on the tower at I-24 exit 37 Metropolis. It spills over into the Paducah area sometimes. Somebody on a local board said VZW folks were in Paducah, and they've been testing the towers here. I've not seen a LTE signal in greater Paducah yet. But apparently some have (more than 2 bars of bleed over from Metropolis). Don't know where they get their inside info. But if true, hopefully it's close to being activated. VZW must have been WAY behind in west KY deployment of LTE. Wonder if they were prepared with necessary fiber, support, or whatever is required to be in place prior to the upgrade. Doesn't sound like it.

0 Likes