Re: Disconnections & NO 4G. Can you say frustrated?
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Dmc271;  never mind, I found this:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

so I'm going to freak out my neighbors walking around with my laptop open, trespassing yards, climbing hillsides, and hiding around trees, checking for signal strength.  It'll answer most of my questions.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neander: If you can give me a rough address, I can look at your coverage on the Verizon 4G map.  Then, what I can do is take my antenna and a laptop, and drive to a region around me that's about the same distance to the edge of coverage in my area.  This experiment won't take into account terrain (Oklahoma is very flat, though there are rolling hills and trees), but it will be interesting.

Also, do you already have a 3G antenna?  This particular antenna is both a 3G antenna and a 4G antenna (handles 700, 800, and 1900 MHz), so even if it can't pick up 4G, it may still be worthwhile to you in terms of increasing your 3G signal.  Just plug it into the 3G other port on the UML290 to boost 3G.

Worst-case scenario: You can always return it within 14 days.  You'll be out return shipping, but....

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neander: I've finally been able to plug my modem into VZAM to look at the signal strength. The results are not good: The improvements in RSSI with the antenna are actually only about 4 dBm.  Took me from -92 dBm to -88 dBm.  Luckily, this is enough to boost my DL speeds.

So, I've clearly overestimated the ability of this antenna to boost a signal, and I have much to learn about antennas.  Seems like the 3gstore site-survey advice is your best route.  At this point, I've lost faith in the antenna's ability to boost a signal in the -115 dBm range.  Sorry.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You Guys are having issues with your 4G Modems.  An  HTC is Having issues with the Thunderbolt's Battery only Lasting 3 to 4 Hours whlie using the 4G Radio an I Heard they allso pulled the new adds on the thunderbolt on youtube an elswear i guess. this 4G thing isnt looking to good is it .   Glad i've got my X an D inc. Even though there a alittle slower they get the job done!  here's a link on the the thunderbolt. an its little problem.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/02/27/htc-thunderbolt-ads-removed-from-youtube-delays-now-due-to-shor...

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Dmc271;  Offering to duplicate signal strength is extremely generous of you,  but like your second message, I did the field tests around the property.  Verizon's stupid signal fluctuations made it difficult, but I could "surmise" a few conclusions.

I found a 10 dbm difference between indoors & outdoors (~ -98 to  -88).   What I've learned lately (duh!) is that a 10 dbm advantage can double my download speed    - to a usable 1 mbps from  a pitiful   .53             So their claimed 7-10 increase may be significant.

Also there flat-out ain't no 4G hereto put in in the local vernacular.  I doubt the NSA could pull in a 4G signal here!  So to answer my question:  No, an enhanced antenna won't give me more than Verizon is offering,  just better.

The 14 day return policy is tempting.  But In a month I expect to be back in 4G land, so I may sweat it out a little longer.   Thanks much for the info.  I'll post back anything else I do or find out.

0 Likes