Disconnections & NO 4G. Can you say frustrated?
GinaMLB

Obviously anyone that is here is having problems. I live 25 miles east of St. Louis. I was told by a Verizon Wireless rep (twice) I could get 4G. And, hey, it would be $50 p/month instead of what I'd been paying of $60 p/month for the 5GB of usage (still too expensive to me). But - I took the plunge! Even if I did have to pay (a discounted cost of) $106 for a brand spanking new USB modem (Pantech UML290)...I figured it would be well worth it. Like I said - $10 cheaper & zippy 4G!

Needless to say, I cannot get 4G. But, hey, it was still $10 cheaper p/month, remember?! And I'd be all setup for when 4G (finally) would become available...I could deal with that. EXCEPT FOR THE CONSTANT DISCONNECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How ironic as I started to pull up this window to post - poof - I got disconnected! All I could do was laugh...in a strange miserable/angry emotional state of mind...trying to keep from punching my computer screen (and I'm a woman saying this) and taking the USB modem & slinging it out into the street! I've been so tempted to go BACK to the other USB modem I have tucked in a drawer (which was only a few months old when I decided to switch up to the 4G plan), and go back to the service plan for 3G, and go back to the other VZAccess Manager software - on all three computers I have - JUST so I can keep my & my husband's sanity - and maintain a decent connection!!!! BUT...I fear that the moment I would go back to the old stuff, THAT'S when Verizon would announce - "Guess what? We've fixed the terrible disconnection issues Customers!" And of course that would happen probably 2 days after I switched back to the old stuff...meaning: if I would've waited them out (been waiting since Dec. 26 as it is) then I wouldn't have to go through the headache of switching back & forth. I'm on the internet HOURS per day...this afternoon during a 3 hour timeframe, I was disconnected approximately 8 times. Fun. Especially when you're trying to upload or download or moving from website to website. Or trying to post something. Heaven forbid you better not hit that POST buttom until you highlight & copy everything in your posting. Unless you want to lose everything you just typed because you got disconnected before you could post it - again. 

Verizon - you should know better than to advertise the hell out of a product, sell it/send it out to "the people" who are dying to get it, and then have it fail to perform to its hyped up expectations. I had been a very satisfied customer for several years, too, using the older 3G service.  We, the consumers, are losing faith as the days tick by AND losing our minds with the numerous times we have to click on "Connect" during an internet session.

Oops-better copy everything I just typed before hitting POST.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Disconnections & NO 4G. Can you say frustrated?
GinaMLB

And I have called Verizon Wireless to voice my concerns (complaints). About 3 different times.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I feel your pain.  Same story.  "Faster service,  $10.00 cheaper",  be crazy not to...

I travel between 4G, 3G, and border line.    The 4G coverage map....

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&

...is remarkably accurate.   I found there were places where I picked the wrong side of a road  to try and connect on - went to Popeye's instead of McDonalds.   I found that if the map tells you (in white space) that you're in a dead spot, you really are in a dead spot,  even if that dead spot is yards away from 4G!     What has me frustrated -and perhaps you, is the fluctuation in signal in what should be solid areas.

I assume you're still in your trial period and have the option of paying the $35.00 "restocking fee" -**bleep** their.. , and going back to the old plan,   The old 3G is still there as an entirely separate network and is still an option for you while waiting for us committed beta-testers (aka:customers) to get the bugs out.   It's something I would consider if I were stuck in 3G territory.

0 Likes
Not applicable
It's too bad you didn't discover this forum before you purchased your 4G device. For whatever reason, the Verizon 4G data network is having serious problems. In my opinion, they should have stopped sales of all 4G devices until they get this resolved. As soon as I saw the problems they were having, I immediately decided to stick with my USB760 3G device. It works perfectly and I only activate it when I need it. My bill this past month was $17.42 for 9 days of use. I suggest you deactivate your 4G device and reactivate your 3G device. PS: Verizon is well aware of the problem and is working toward a solution. Calling them will not help solve the problem.
0 Likes
girlbowlerga

I am having the exactly same problem.  Get on for 10 or 15 minutes, get disconnected.  It is crazy!  This never happened when I had the 3G.  All I can say is I hope it is resolved soon.

0 Likes
GinaMLB

Thank you for the feedback! Am still hanging in there...especially when I actually stay connected for up to an hour without any disruptions. Although my mind has (sadly) adjusted to visually checking the status icon every few seconds...wondering if I got disconnected. Isn't that called a Pavlovian response or conditioning?! How pathetic...especially since I'm prone to OCD...

My husband and I talk about switching back to the 3G...the thought of taking action to go through all the effort, time and aggravation makes me want to puke, though. Of course, puking would probably be better than throwing the device out the window or punching the computer screen in frustration from constant disconnects. Then I definitely won't be getting on the internet.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

GinaMLB wrote:

Thank you for the feedback! Am still hanging in there...especially when I actually stay connected for up to an hour without any disruptions. Although my mind has (sadly) adjusted to visually checking the status icon every few seconds...wondering if I got disconnected. Isn't that called a Pavlovian response or conditioning?! 

I totally sympathize with you.  I had the same discconnection issues, and was constantly looking at the status icon.  For me, a workaournd was to plug my UML290 into a 4G router, thereby avoiding VZAM.  I can stay connected for days at a time now, sometimes longer (7 days was the max so far).  But, now, my natural response is to glance over at the router's connection lights every time I walk by it!

Also, you might think about getting an antenna in an attempt to pick up 4G. Based on other posts, there's a good chance that you can pick up the 4G signal if you're near of an actual 4G covered area (say, within 5-10 miles--just a guess).  I'm in a 4G zone, but have poor coverage. The antenna has helped quite a bit in the DL speeds.

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Dmc271;  You've peaked my interest in antennas.   It's amazing what I don't know about antennas (thank you public education in the 70's)     Here's what I've found so far:

1.  The extension cable doesn't help.  Seems to hurt.  If you check out this:

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=36152

..It implies there was once a Y-pronged extension that provided more voltage, better reception.

2.   I'm finding there is a cheap (< $10.00) adapter cable for the UML290 that looks like it can tap into standard cable.  Just for grins I'm going to pick one up and see what happens when I plug it into my non-powered external TV antenna.

3.   Has anybody had any experience with this:

http://3gstore.com/product/2784_3g4g_directional_panel_antenna_w_cables_for_uml290_-_improves_3g_or_...

..$103.99 solution?   Is a 7 - 10 dbm gain significant?  I seem to lose connection at about -115 dbm.

Opinions?

4. The EVDOforums that have been useful to us in the past are talking:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread14517.html

5. Is it possible to get 4g  ~5 miles out?

What I know about antennas comes from years of putting tinfoil on rabbit ears.  Any help I/we can get will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neander wrote:

Dmc271;  You've peaked my interest in antennas.   

3.   Has anybody had any experience with this:

http://3gstore.com/product/2784_3g4g_directional_panel_antenna_w_cables_for_uml290_-_improves_3g_or_...

..$103.99 solution?   Is a 7 - 10 dbm gain significant?  I seem to lose connection at about -115 dbm.

Opinions?

The 3gstore antenna is the one that I have.  It's made by Wilson, and the $104 price includes an adapter cable and a 20ft coax cable (50 Ohm).  You can read my full review of the antenna here.

My RSSI used to be around -91 dBm.  I never checked it with the new antenna, but others have reported going from the -90s to the -60s. With proper aiming (which I never did), and proper elevation, a 20-30 dBm increase sounds reasonable.  One user has reported going from no signal to -59 dBm with this antenna.

My only complaint about the antenna is that it's not an outdoor antenna. So, the best option would be to place it near a window or better yet, in the attic.  I have another Wilson antenna in the attic for my cell phone. It gave me about a 20 dBm boost.

I'm 7 miles from the 4G tower (as the crow flies).

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

GinaMLb:  "Am still hanging in there...especially when I actually stay connected for up to an hour...."   

Welcome new Beta-Tester!    I found that a good 4G (like in competitive Atlanta) is addictive.   Hopefully Verizon will expand the 4G areas (nationally) faster than they need to fix the 3G problems.  I'm holding my breath. 

Dmc271; I hate to plunk down a hundred $ for something Verizon should have fixed,  but you & others seem happy with the add-on, and I am going to be hanging out beyond civilization often.  I read that you're "technically" in a 4G area and "natively" getting a 3G signal.  So all the new antenna gives you is what you're already paying for.  You oughta be PO'd.  

I'm a few miles from 4G but am lusting for it.  I know you can't answer definitively but do you think it's likely a 4G signal can be got beyond official 4G?  I'll feel better about the hundred $ if it'll get me more than the standard offering.

0 Likes