Disabling Roaming?
kalinkap

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable roaming (especially international roaming)?  I'm using this on an international boarder and don't want the card to jump signals to Canada.  Also, I have the card plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR 900.  Cradlepoint says that there is nothing in their configuration and it would be on the side of the aircard that I would need to disable it.

Thanks to all for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling Roaming?
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

kalinkap wrote:

Is this something that they can disable if I call customer service?  What information would I need for calling in?  The account is not in my name but I can obtain the necessary authorization to access the account.

Thank you for your inquiry kalinkap. I would need to do some further checking to see if there is something we can do to disable your air card from picking up on towers that would be considered roaming while not disabling the air card from connecting to towers where you would not be roaming. Depending on where your using the air card, it usually would pick up on the closest tower available and a strong signal would direct the service accordingly. I am sending you a private message to assist you further with your inquiry. Secondly, the information that we would need to know would be asked to the Account Owner when we speak to them when having you added on the account. It would be security type questions. The Account Owner also would be asked to setup an account password and accepted the conditions for adding an Account Manager. The adding of an Account Manager also be done online at My Verizon by the Account Owner looking under the profile tab to assign account managers.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You should be able to call into Customer Service and ask them to block all international roaming for the device. I have read about on here that others have done it for their phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Excellent suggestion! Kalinkap, if you need help with this, let me know. Thanks!

0 Likes
kalinkap

Is this something that they can disable if I call customer service?  What information would I need for calling in?  The account is not in my name but I can obtain the necessary authorization to access the account.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

kalinkap wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry kalinkap. I would need to do some further checking to see if there is something we can do to disable your air card from picking up on towers that would be considered roaming while not disabling the air card from connecting to towers where you would not be roaming. Depending on where your using the air card, it usually would pick up on the closest tower available and a strong signal would direct the service accordingly. I am sending you a private message to assist you further with your inquiry. Secondly, the information that we would need to know would be asked to the Account Owner when we speak to them when having you added on the account. It would be security type questions. The Account Owner also would be asked to setup an account password and accepted the conditions for adding an Account Manager. The adding of an Account Manager also be done online at My Verizon by the Account Owner looking under the profile tab to assign account managers.   

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Isn't there  an internal setting that can be changed through the VZW Manager???

0 Likes
kalinkap

budone - As I stated before, I'm using the Cradlepoint router to share the 4g internet connection.  When the router is used, the system bypasses the VZ manager software and any settings that it may provide access to.  This in turn uses the cradlepoint's internal software to manage the connection.

0 Likes
b_a_m

Have basically the exact same issue as kalinkap and came across this post.  Is it, or was it possible to block international roaming (in particular within Canada) at the account level?  If so, what was the resolution?

Tks

0 Likes
alisal1973

I called Verizon today due to roaming charges added to my account.  I live several miles west of the canada border and have been with verizon 4 and a half years, and right down the street from my house I was bounced to a tower in canada.  I have not been no where near canada, and the call that was bounced I have used my phone repeatedly in that area for years without a problem.  Verizon issued a partial credit, but at this time we are now considering switching providers.  We were told to "update roaming capabilities" which I had done within about 2 weeks of incurring the charges.  We were also told we could set our roaming to "home only" however one of our phones does not have this capability, and is set to global.  I am beyond frustrated.  I was assured my roaming was free when I signed up with verizon, and even called to double check when we first got cell phones.  If I had been near the bridge or tunnnel I could understand, but many times I have been much closer to canada and never had this problem.  This is verizon's fault, and I did not get a text telling me that I was roaming.  This happened also on another line in a different city, even further away from Canada than my personal phone.  Customer service says I Cannot block my account from international roaming, and when I told them I was going to leave verizon it didn't seem to matter.  I did not argue or get into a shouting match with the rep, I just kept asking how to prevent this, and they said we cannot.  November 2013 is when all verizon accounts will be free, but Sprint is paying some of your early termination fees right now, so If I add up potential roaming fees it may be worth it to go ahead and get away from verizon, who has suddenly for whatever reason become crooked.

0 Likes
alisal1973

I called again today and Verizon reversed the rest of the charges.  We are very please with the service rep.. Their technical support team have the best reps Smiley Happy  We also found that if you set your location to HOME ONLY you won't bounce out of the US   Settings...phone settings....system select...Home only...if it is set to global switch to GDSM and then go back and change it to home only.

0 Likes