Data Throttling All day every day
UnclDav
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been losing access for over a year. I'm guessing you're rural as I am. About 18 mo's ag Verizon confirmed that they re-orient antennas during high use times. In my case that's the US Rt 29 corridor, I'm 4.5 mi W of it. In case it hadn't occurred to you, I've come to realize that not only are rural folks 2nd class citizens politically, we're there commercially too.

I went to a Victra store yesterday to see if re-activating my router (MiFi) would help. My Victra guy told me that my problem was my outdated data plan, that I upgraded to when I bought my iPhone 11 (been using it as a hotspot) in Dec 2019. Re-activated the MiFi with updated data plan & now have adequate wifi. 

What I don't understand is how my data plan affects my data speed.

IF our State or Federal Gov't was worth a cup of warm cat whiz on a hot day they'd have the FCC require telecom co's to refund data fees. I'll be skiing on my trails in July before that happens.

Anyway, you might try upgrading your data plan. Like all tech-NO-logy solutions it'll cost more.

Re: Data Throttling All day every day
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

UnclDav,

I don't want anyone going without a good idea of how your data experience can be impacted over the course of a billing cycle. The ways your speeds are effected by your plan are numerous, depending on your plan. For general information about Network Management during periods of congestion, I recommend this link: http://spr.ly/660212KbQ

I hope this helps.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
Ufomarc2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you  for your input, I’ve been a Verizon customer long-standing for almost 19 years, and I was one of the 1st to get the grandfathered in on the unlimited plan, the original one. After reading the comments on the forum I am definitely never going to give it up unless it becomes so prohibitively expensive that it costs $200 a month. Currently it’s costing me about $100 A month which is close to what you pay for a high-speed cable company to give you Internet service. A nice tend to be a high yield user, I do a lot of streaming, and watching of movies and TV shows. I average between 180 GB a month to that as high is almost 300 some months. So I would almost certainly always be at the threshold for Throttling. 💩 😇🌟🖖

Vellabelle

If the problem is the fact that the towers get too busy and therefore you need to prioritize users then how can you have a beyond unlimited plan? If I buy the beyond unlimited plan does your tower magically handle more data? I’m not understanding this theory.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@Ufomarc2 wrote:

Thank you  for your input, I’ve been a Verizon customer long-standing for almost 19 years, and I was one of the 1st to get the grandfathered in on the unlimited plan, the original one. After reading the comments on the forum I am definitely never going to give it up unless it becomes so prohibitively expensive that it costs $200 a month. Currently it’s costing me about $100 A month which is close to what you pay for a high-speed cable company to give you Internet service. A nice tend to be a high yield user, I do a lot of streaming, and watching of movies and TV shows. I average between 180 GB a month to that as high is almost 300 some months. So I would almost certainly always be at the threshold for Throttling. 💩 😇🌟🖖

Definitely agree with your comment which is why I always tell people NOT to give up their grandfathered unlimited data. During this covid-19 crisis time, it demonstrates the greatness of the grandfathered unlimited data plan.  Keep on using 180-300 GB a month and enjoy your unlimited data plan. I will do the same as you with my unlimited data plan. 

0 Likes
J-R-C
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem I have is that Verizon takes no action, year after year, to upgrade the capacity of the tower here.  It's overcongested every day to 0.01mbps if not 0 mbps for minutes at a time.  

Verizon has a monopoly here and apparently takes our money and spends it to upgrade towers in areas where they have competition. "America's best network"= "better than nothing" here.

Tower lcid 115310 does not even have aws lte band 66 installed yet, while nearby areas do have this upgrade and no longer have congestion issues.

We're being exploited.

0 Likes
J-R-C
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's "pay to win", you pay Verizon more to deny other paying customers of service.  That way entitled rich folk pay so that less fortunate school kids can't do their homework.

0 Likes
Jah410

Verizon claims to have the best 4G LTE coverage.  The throttling means their infrastructure cannot keep up with the 4G LTE demands.  Yet they still want to move to 5G?  Throttling is just Verizon’s double-talk way of saying they cannot handle the demands of their customers.  They never have been able to.  No provider can.  The push for faster speeds is just a money grab tactic and the term ‘unlimited’ is their sales pitch to lure you in to a false sense of getting something better.

0 Likes
iphoneguy86
Enthusiast - Level 3

I actually tolerated their nonsense about their network being number 1. When I worked for them back in 2010-2014 it was a great network experience. As the years went on and they looked for every possible way to cut costs they laid off thousands of employees removed tons of jobs started outsourcing their customer service to imbeciles the fact that I was getting cruddy speeds intermittently didn’t bother me as much since I was saving some money. 

The reason I left Verizon is because they have some garbage new credit model where they check your credit at the end of every bill cycle and hold your ability to upgrade accountable to your pay history every month. Basically-I had a $4000 bill to account balance so I was able to finance pretty much anything when I wanted to upgrade. 

I encountered a month where I needed to pay a few days later due to a financial hardship so I made a payment arrangement so Verizon conveniently took away my $4000 bill to account eligibility and lowered it to $750 or something ridiculous that was already used up and they gave me some garbage story about how it’s their new credit model and your pay history affects your financing every single month. 

I was floored I was like cool so if I pay a few days late once in a whole year you take away my upgrade? They were like yes. 

All my phones were unlocked since it was passed 60 days so I was like cool beans and I switched to AT&T and never looked back. My service is better it never lags or stutters and AT&T doesn’t change your upgrade if you make a payment arrangement once in a while. Plus I have AT&T TV and HBO Max free with my account. 

Bottom line-I’ll never go back to Verizon. Ever. 

0 Likes
J-R-C
Enthusiast - Level 2

300Gb !?

I get throttled (deprioritized) right of the bat on a 15 gb plan no matter how much or little of that 15gb I've used.  The congestion starts early in the morning and doesn't ease up until after midnight..  every day.   My "high speed" allowance is like 0.01 mbps.  Verizon has a monopoly in this area and knows we have no choice, so they have refused to upgrade the tower capacity for years leaving it with antiquated technology not able to provide the amount of service they're being paid to provide.

0 Likes