Re: Data Throttling All day every day
Sl0wLan3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can't agree more with this. I remember when I could use a hotspot to not only search the web and watch videos in 1080p without any buffering, but download full games in pretty good times. I remember speeds multiple times that of Hughsnet in my area. Now even my device's data is beyound useless, let alone the hotspot. I am constantly getting speeds between 0.01-0.02Mbit/s throughout the day, topping around 1Mbit/s in the same area I used to get those great speeds while no further development has occured in my area since that time. Even in the middle of the closet town where speeds used to be even better I get a fraction of what I used to get. The ignorance Verizon has to their own network is sickening. Either fix the networks, or take the "un" off of the "unlimited".

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Richard40, while we do not have access to any such reporting, we do want you to have the service needed. What plan do you currently have? Do you find this is happening at specific times or locations? Are you experiencing any issue with calls or messages?

LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sl0wLan3, having a constant reliable connection is important, especially when you are using your hotspot. What ZIP Code and nearest intersection are you located at? We would like to review the area. If you are under Network Management, then you may experience slow speeds at time of congestion. Does this issue only happen with your hotspot, or do you have issues with speeds on your smartphones as well?   EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
rdc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I question the congestion answer. I am in a remote area with a tower next to a school. The school has about 1000 students with phones.  My throttled rate doesn't change wether the students are present or not. Once my mifi goes over 15G I get throttled to 600k or less.  Speeds are often 100K, whats funny is when I run a speed test the speed usually increases at least slightly.

Seems the sattletite systems are improving thier data rates, my check into that as an option.

rdc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happens on all devices once they go over 15g, zip is 21632

0 Likes
arkie1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Arkansas-ranked 48th for connection-had to purchase 4GLTE phone/internet for working from home and switch mobiles to unlimited to not go over data on home service. I pay a total of $300/month - mobile data consistently non-existent; cell signal for calls getting worse; started slowing/dropping internet connection on home internet. Was told they made changes to the tower-but I could try the higher tier plan to not be throttled as much. Speed checks even at 9pm are consistently 0.00 Mbps and on rare occasion a little over 1 Mbps. Ping as high as +7200 ms. I have been a customer since 2003. Will be moving from Arkansas and will have more choices. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Obsidian2222
Enthusiast - Level 2

WeheWehe

The apps name that is...The apps name that is...

So I recently was forced to switch as well. I added (swapped in a sim) to a new phone (OnePlus 7 Pro) that I bought outright from the manufacturer. I have/had a Pixel 3 XL on that line and just wanted to pop the sim into my 7 Pro to use along with the 3 XL. But because VZW is VZW I had to activate the phone on their Network. When this was done it removed my discounted line access fee (it's happened 1,000 times before). So when I called in to have them fix it it was sent up the chain. The result? It was denied. They didn't email, text or contact me in any way. The first person I talked to wanted to play the semantics game with me (IE Line Access fee vs Line Access fee minus the discount amount).

This is a carryover from the $40 per line subsidized rate. After 2 years you weren't in a contract anymore but, more importantly, you had also paid off your phone. Unless you called them you would be paying for the Once the unlimited plans came out (BYOD) they changed that to $15 per line (Semantics - discounted it $25). 

0 Likes
Obsidian2222
Enthusiast - Level 2

*You would be paying the extra $20 a line forever. So each time one of our phone's was ready for an upgrade (remember that?) I called and they reduced it. When the BYOD thing hit new plans were made and that discount became permanent (even if you bought a discounted phone). Even though it was permanent you still had to call when you got a new phone to have it applied. 

When the Unlimited plans came out that dropped down to $15 a line but dumbphones went from $5/10 to $30. Anyway before I activated the 7 Pro I made sure I was gtg but after I activated I called them to change it and the option was gone so they sent it to be fixed. He told me it would be and I'd see it on the next bill. It wasn't so I called again (after paying an extra $75 at this point) and they sent it again. It was rejected, I wasn't contacted and when I contacted them they said that they couldn't do it. I popped my sim back in my 3 XL and asked them what had changed on my plan. She couldn't find anything so argued semantics.

This is when I was going to leave. They then told me about the "Goloyalty Unlimited plan" and it's cheap so I figured I'd give it a go and test it while looking for a new ISP. Those results are what I got. My Download speed is 200-300kbps. Speedtest shows 50+ Mbps. If I activate VPN 10Mbps download. It's a racket. But use Wehe to check throttling on streaming apps etc

0 Likes
Obsidian2222
Enthusiast - Level 2

These "copy and paste" replies (below) are not only worthless, they are actually worse than if you hadn't replied at all. When someone asks you a specific question, seeing you make the horrible decision that the correct response is a half hearted apology, followed by more questions is dumbfounding. Since that response is either a complete lack of understanding or, more than likely, simply laziness. It would be much better if you just said "I'm sorry that we terrible and I don't have a good answer for you".

"What plan do you currently have? Do you find this is happening at specific times or locations? Are you experiencing any issue with calls or messages?"

THOJER4
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is logical from Verizon's marketing to assume that throttling is an occasional experience, not an everyday occurrence. Verizon has many creative ways to market themselves resulting in deceiving appearances. As a customer, I am left without sympathy or patience with Verizon's habits.