Coverage map says I have solid 4G coverage but I cannot connect.
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new Verizon Wireless customer.  I purchased a Samsung Droid Charge thru amazon wireless.  I activated phone and installed the lates update available.  SCH-I510.EE4.

Verizon's coverage map shows my home and office as having full 4G coverage and while I get 4g coverage at the office which is in zipcode 10458 I get no 4g coverage in near my home in zipcode 10467 only few miles away.  See screenshot of coverage map.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/speedy79/4gcoverage.jpg

Despite what the coverage map says I have never gotten 4g service at my house.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Coverage map says I have solid 4G coverage but I cannot connect.
budone
Legend

You are very close to the edge of service there, so the service may not reach ya quite yet. I see their extended service, ie it may or may not work area, is a block away.

Note this statement you see when you look at 4G coverage:

These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy.

0 Likes
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turns out that the local tower is broken.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well in a weird sorta way, it is a good thing it is a tower issue.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Speedy; Looking at the image you provided, it looks like you're in the "Extended Coverage" by half a block.  The mappers choice of colors is lousy (deliberate?)  but I've found the maps to be remarkably accurate.   

Once I picked the wrong side of a road  - I wanted to go to Popeye's Chicken instead of MacDonald's and paid the price - a ragged, fluctuating 3G/4G versus a solid 4G across the street.

Verizon should just give up the idea of "Extended" until they get their act together.   They're marketing a BLASTING 4G LTE National campaign with dinky real coverage zones (Budone's fine print is poor consolation).

0 Likes
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2
So those green slashes mean limited or no lte coverage?
0 Likes
budone
Legend

Neander wrote:smileysad:Budone's fine print is poor consolation).

I don't argue it is a poor consolation, but they put it there to cover themselves.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Green Slashes;  I assumed your location is the pin-marker at Allerton & Barker?

0 Likes
speedy1979
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes that me at the pin marker.  But according to this there are no extended coverage areas in the Bron,p.x.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/speedy79/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Think the green slashes is just what they used to mark the park.

0 Likes