Re: Coverage during NY Metro North Commute is AWFUL
Daombr

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon because I thought they were the premium carrier. Wrong! Totally horrible on the Harlem line almost all the way from White Plains to around the Harlem area in upper Manhattan. Can’t even listen to a podcast! I am switching as soon as I have the time to go through that arduous process. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Jbleinberger I'm sorry to hear that you're having service issues on the Harlem line of Metro Motth. We want to make sure we're doing everything we can to help you better your service during your commute. When did you start having problems with service? What specific address are you experiencing these issues at?

JesusG_VZW

0 Likes
PANZNER007
Enthusiast - Level 2

I love how customer service acts like they really care, but in reality management and the company know exactly where the shortcomings are and they act like any other oligopolist enterprise would: they don't give a sh*t.

Let's put it this way: if Verizon doesn't know where the problems are by now, especially given that this and other message threads date back years in some cases, then it appears that a lot of people, including senior management, need to be replaced -- STAT.

Unfortunately, both T-Mobile and AT&T are even worse, making it is easy for an overleveraged and poorly run oligopolist dinosaur to carry on doing what it has been doing: providing subpar service and milking customers for all they are worth.

If Verizon was an airline, it would make United Airlines look good; if it was a bank, it would make HSBC look like it actually knew what it was doing. In reality, all are part of a large group that loves to market themselves as the leaders of the pack but which have absolutely no interest in lifing up to that fantasy.

P.S. I finally had to post this at home after being unable to do so at Westport, where I had two bars, and at Green's Farm, where I had three bars. In both cases, I got the error page: "You have no internet." Exactly!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Daombr, we're glad to have you as a part of our VZW family. We want you to remain with us so it's important to us that you have the information you need when it comes to using your phone on a train. Cell service on a train is always tricky. The trains move too fast at times to perform proper hand-offs between towers. It is because of that reason that most railways have now established Wi-Fi connectivity agreements on the trains to ensure connectivity. When it comes to coverage in the NY Metro North area, we have more than enough cell sites in place. The issues experienced while on that line isn't due to a lack of coverage but simply too quick of motion on those train for a cellular device to properly maintain signal on a tower long enough to keep a user properly connected. Regrettably, that's not something we can control.

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
PANZNER007
Enthusiast - Level 2

How come it doesn't happen in a car traveling at 70 mph on the highway (when you are not in a dead zone, that is)?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we investigate this further, so you can have the service you need. I'd be happy to help and review your area in more detail. Are you able to provide us with your two nearest cross streets and zip code? Can you tell me exactly what's when you use your device or provide me with a visual? ChetonJ_VZW

0 Likes
Navrap77NYC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the same exact issue and these canned answers from Verizon are inexcusable. This is on the entirety of the Hudson line of metro north in NY.  The point that was made regarding this being a result of the train moving at a high speed also doesn’t fully explain the problem. This issue occurs even when the train is stopped at stations on this route (check Dobbs Ferry station). Even with full bars, I’ve noticed that a lot of times I have to turn airplane mode on and back off for me to be able to actually get any workable connection at all.  This occurs even when not on the train when moving from poor to strong signal. 

Verizon needs to change their approach when dealing with these major service problems that impacts thousands of its users. I, like many, are actively considering alternatives given we cannot use our devices when we need to the most. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Navrap77NYC, having coverage issues can be frustrating, especially if it happens during your Metro commute. When did the issue start (did it ever work in the Hudson line)? Do all cell user experience this issue? Have you noticed this problem in other Metro lines/stations?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
lateb8ke

I literally just switched from Tmobile to Verizon and rode the MetroNorth (Harlem line) from GCT to Hartsdale this evening and had virtually zero service the whole trip. This is worse than T-mobile which I thought was bad to beginning with. This does not appear to be an isolated event given all the posts. How do I switch back to T-mobile!! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate having you with us and don't wish to lose you lateb8ke. Railway systems are a challenge for cellular service especially subways. We can gather more details but as you mentioned, but must set the right expectation. When were your services activated? If you are within 14 days, you can return your device.  BobbyN_VZW

0 Likes