Can't Connect to MiFi4510L
rcbruba

I just activated a 4G MiFi4510L and am having issues with connecting one of our devices. We have one Netbook, one older Laptop, and one iMac. The iMac and Netbook have connected via wireless to the hotspot w/o any issues, but the Laptop won't connect and provides the following error message -- "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available connections, and try to connect again." This occurs when the laptop is sitting next to the hotspot. The wireless driver is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200 BG Network (the MiFi is supposed to support b/g/n). When I tried to connect from my list of wireless networks, I was not prompted for the wifi password and was unable to connect, so I added the MiFi SSID to my wireless connections on the Wireless Network Connection Properties window and configured it to authentic via WPA-PSK -- still no success. Finally, I disabled the Windows Firewall on the laptop, which did not work either.

This same laptop connected to our previous 3G hotspot w/o and issues.

Any thoughts out there?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't Connect to MiFi4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You mentioned your laptop has a B/G wireless adpater.  It might be recieving a mixed singal from the MiFi since the MiFi broadcasts in B/G/N by default.  I suggest lowering your MiFi to B/G to match the capabilities of your laptop.

To broadcast in B/G:

1. Power on the MiFi

2. Connect to the MiFi on a device which has no issues

3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin

4. Sign into the MiFi

5. Click the Wi-Fi tab

6. Select G + B from the 802.11 Mode drop down box

7. Click Apply

8. Test your connection with the laptop

0 Likes
rcbruba

Scott,

Great idea, and I appreciate the detailed instructions, but it did not seem to do the trick. I may try setting it up for G only...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I think your next step is to delete your cached wireless password on your computer and try again.  If you let us know your OS I could give you the specific steps.

You could also try removing the wireless password on the MiFi to see if you can atleast establish a connection.  That might confirm for us that there is a password conflict between your computer and the MiFi.  If you cannot establish a connection to a non-secured MiFi then we know there is some kind of hardware conflict.

0 Likes