Re: Bionic 4g/3g compatibility issues
marinegundoctor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I haven't really had much data issues, but I only use data in bursts and haven't gone through one of those since having the Bionic. I do have an issue with roaming in the extended network. I can not get any service. The phone shows signal bars, but upon placing a call I get a popup stating there is no network available. I even tried to dial 911 and got the same message. No network connectivity at all.

0 Likes
kressgm

My Bionic worked great in the Verizon Store where they boost the 4G signal, however, when I returned home it was 3G only.  Over the next few weeks I realized that the phone was very rarely in 4G mode, it more or less stayed in 3G and sometimes lost all connectivity.  As a result of the phone switching signals, I also noticed that it totally drained the battery to the point that I needed to charge it twice a day.  I have since switched my phone to 3G only and the battery life has been greatly improved (only need to charge once per 24 hours).  I do think it is ridiculous for Verizon to market these expensive 4G phones without having a reliable network to connect to.  Every other commercial on TV is for Verizon 4G and it makes me sick to think that I'm paying for this service that my phone can't stay connected to.  It makes me even more angry that Verizon does not admit the issue and they just keep rolling out more 4G Droid models to lure additional customers in the door.  Someone should call the Better Business Bureau on Verizon, and they should have to refund $$$ to the thousand of customers that aren't getting what they are paying for in their monthly service contracts.  Shame on you Verizon!

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

@Kressgm,

I understand your concern and I'm here to help.

We've had other users experiencing similar issues with the data connectivity when switching between 3G and 4G and we are working diligently to resolved. This will be addressed in an upcoming software maintenance release. Unfortunately, I do not have a date when the update will be available as this may raise expectations that may not be met, but it should be soon. 

I appreciate your patience while we work to resolve.

0 Likes
tmwes

So swapping out my Bionic is a waste of time?  I was finally fed up enough yesterday to stop in a VZW store and they are sending me a replacement...I'm sure going to be annoyed if I still have the same problem.

0 Likes
elc2389
Verizon, this issue is far from resolved. In cdma mode, in strictly 3g areas, where ever it may be, this is a horribly defective phone, and its not Motorolas fault, for other devices from samsung are guilty as well. Why am I paying $30 a month for a data plan when over %50 of the time I have no data? There are a lot more productive things I could have done with the money I paid for for the phone (which I waited for for months, since Verizon was supposidly working out all the bugs, and the $120 I've paid the past four months for a service im rarely ever able to use with ease. Having to do a full batttlery pull four times in one hour is unacceptable to restore a data connection! If your 4g system wasn't completely perfected, it shouldn't have been launched. Plain and simple. Because now as customers, we are incurring numerous dollars each month into a service we are not receiving. If it weren't for most other services being flimsy in my area, I would be leaving.
0 Likes
jules65
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am about to start calling Verizon every time that my service drops (which will be about 10X a day). I am sick of calling in on this issue and being told to pull the battery and pull the SIM to "fix" the issue. I have to have my husband's phone on hand or have another phone around to have them "call me back on" - that defeats the purpose of having a PERSONAL cell phone. I wouldn't need this phone to work and I wouldn't pay to have it if I always had access to another phone.

ATTENION VERIZON: It is NOT acceptable to pay for service and pay for a "top of the line" phone and be expected to perform these actions everytime that I need or want to use my phone.

jules65
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does NOT fis the problem!

0 Likes
LOUcifer
Enthusiast - Level 2

jules65 wrote:

I am about to start calling Verizon every time that my service drops (which will be about 10X a day). I am sick of calling in on this issue and being told to pull the battery and pull the SIM to "fix" the issue. I have to have my husband's phone on hand or have another phone around to have them "call me back on" - that defeats the purpose of having a PERSONAL cell phone. I wouldn't need this phone to work and I wouldn't pay to have it if I always had access to another phone.

ATTENION VERIZON: It is NOT acceptable to pay for service and pay for a "top of the line" phone and be expected to perform these actions everytime that I need or want to use my phone.

Jules,

Good luck EVER getting Verizon to admit anything is unacceptable to their customers because to them it's all about the millions of $$$ we fork over every month.  If they EVER admitted there was a legitimate issue with ALL 4G phones data connections then everyone would cancel or switch carriers.

It's all smoke and mirrors...a patch here a patch there...it's so obvious that ALL the 4G phones do NOT play well with the 4G & 3G networks...which OBVIOUSLY points a finger at Verizon and it's network NOT the manufacturers.

Funny how Sprint doesn't have widespread 4g outages with their Wimax...now AT&T launched LTE which my brother just bought and can't wait to hear his experience.

I totally agree with you...we shouldn't have to pull batteries/sim or perform master resets EVERYTIME we call tech support.  You would think after months and months of the same data connectivity issues with all different phones they would realize these actions do not work and the problem is more serious then a battery pull.

Your idea of calling everytime your out of data is something I have been doing for the past week now.  I have been demanding my $1 credit per day for data I cannot use until the issue is fixed.  So basically in one months time I will accrue $30 in credits making the data free.  Maybe then and only then will Verizon realize they need to step up their game and fix the data connectivity issues.

- Lou -

0 Likes
flexingrat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought a Droid Bionic on 12/6, and have had nothing but issues wit lack of data / internet connection. I ended up spending close to 7 hours on the phone doing the pull the battery, pull the SIM card, etc etc etc with no luck. It would access data for about one minute and then drop it until I restarted the phone or turned on/off airplane mode. Finally, Verizon agreed that the phone was bad and sent me a new Bionic. Guess what? Same issue. This one is better - it will access the internet for about 5 minutes before dropping (I guess that is a 500% increase, huh?). But it is still NOT acceptible! Whu should I pay for a service that doesn't work? I'm soo frustrated with the Bionic, and with Verizon. I've been a loyal customer for over 5 years, paying for three different phones and plans. The Bionic is the only 4G device we have, and it is the only one having all of the connectivity issues. I've tried all of the tricks listed on this forum, as well as tricks listed on other forums - none of them work. Iam now to the point that I HATE this phone. VERIZON: WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS OR REMEDY IT?

0 Likes
rjlynch13

Ok Verizon, I've had my Bionic a few months and constantly had data issues where it shows 4g on the screen but I can't get data to save my life at times.  Yes, restarting the phone seems to work sometimes, however, that is not resolving the issue.  The excuses given about being aware of the issue and getting it fixed in the software update don't fly.  I updated my software to the new version a few weeks ago and I'm still having the same issues.  I never have a problem with calls or text messages, just my data.  Why am I, and every other Verizon customer, paying so much for data plans that are useless unless we "restart:" the phone?  When will this issue be resolved?

0 Likes