Re: Bionic 4g/3g compatibility issues
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
Good luck to everyone. I have the HTC Thunderbolt and live in a 3g area at home but in 4g area at work. If you are within your 14 day return period, TAKE IT BACK. After your 14 days is up, they will want to constantly return your new full price phone for a refurbished hunk of junk.
0 Likes
undeadrat

I experienced this issue tonight; my Droid Bionic was going into the 3G mode (from 4G LTE) and then it lost connection to the network altogether. I restarted the phone, and this seemed have reset the conenct (at least for now). But this is very disapointing; why do they release these very expensive devices when they have such fundamental problems? At this point, I think I will return the phone and go back to my very reliable Krazor (which has worked flawlessly for the last five years or so). I am also very disapointed that no mention was made of this at the store -- Perhaps the salesperson didn't know about the issues with the Bionic, or he wanted to make a sale. It seems like a very nice phone, and would be quite useful to me. But if it has an issue of losing conenction then it is rather useless to me (a "dumb" phone works without internet quite nicely after all without the data charges). If I'm paying $30.00 / month for data then I expect it to work.

I will talk to the people at the Verizon store and probably return it later today.

0 Likes
archie21

im severely regretting buying the droid bionic. it worked very well for about 2 days and it has been downhill since then. my iphone (att)  had great 3g and rarely had any type of connection issues. so far ive had 4g for about 1 hour total in the past month. and that was directly downtown in grand rapids, MI. 3g had worked sporadically and has completely vanished for the last 2 days.  i just tried to open pandora on the bionic and instead of hearing music it called my boss 7 times in rapid succession at 11:58p.m. im really hoping verizon is going to fix this problem or at least do something to live up to the reputation they supposedly have, because so far im not impressed.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

I understand everyone's frustration and apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

The loss of data connectivity when transitioning from 4G to 3G is a known issue and under investigation. A fix will be included in the first post launch maintenance release software for the Bionic.

As a temporary fix you can power cycle the device or enable/disable Airplane Mode when you experience any data connection loss. 

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

0 Likes
angela3763

this happened to me the first day I got it, but a simple fix was an unchecked box! i couldnt go back n forth from 3G to 4G. look and see if this helps !  Settings>Battery Data Manager> Data Delivery>Data Roaming - checked.  My box was not checked. didnt allow me to go back n forth.

0 Likes
tommyguz

My wife and I just bought Droid Bionic's today. We bought them in an area where 4G service is available and all was good...except when we got home about a half hour south of there.....and where only 3G is available....now our phones won't connect to the network. We called tech support and had them take out the sim card, battery, all that nonsense and still nothing. They told me it should be working by the end of day today but I have not heard back from them. Anyone know what I should do before I return these useless things tomorrow...If they can't work in 3G then what good are they??

0 Likes
No connection
jsr7

Had my bionic since release date, had no issues and the last few days no connection. I'm in a strong 4G area and I can't get a connection period.  So dissapointed I'm paying for something I can't use.....what a waste of $.

0 Likes
chirotor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sort of glad that many are having the same problem.  I was thinking I would have to do a hard reset or get a replacement set, both of which are nightmares for me.  The VZ guys have said that a fix is coming and I have no choice but to believe them as I'm past my 14 days.  Tech support had me check the data roaming box in settings/battery & data manager/data delivery as also suggested by angela3763.  At the same time I had taken out my battery and held down the on/off button for 30 seconds before rebooting.  Whether it's luck or the reboot, or the checked box I have had 4G since.  I have had the phone for over a month in both CA and FL without a problem before the problem kicked in on 10/16.  On 10/16 and 10/17 I have had times with no data, 3G data, or brief 4G data.  I sure hope its a network problem or a phone software problem, not a hardware issue, as the first two can be fixed.  

0 Likes
mercdoc

This is great! We toss out 300 bucks on a product to have to shut it off and reboot it to get service. Why don't we get some sort of discount for not having a product that works as it should. I had a Thunderbolt and sometimes wish I had kept it. I'm on my 2nd Bionic for the Data connectivity issues as well as apps placed on home screen would uninstall but the icon would still be on the home screens. I took the 1st phone back within the 14 days but now if I take my current one back I will end up getting a refurbed one and I STILL DONT HAVE A SATISFACTORY PRODUCT. And lets face it, dealing with Verizon over the phone or in the corp office is NO FUN. You get to talk to people that treat you as a stupid, don't know anything joe that try to tell you that your phone is fine and just keep restarting it to make it work. What ever happen to buying a product that worked as advertised? I have been with Verizon Wireless longer than I can remember and after recent visits to corp offices for support really wish I could go somewhere else but then again I would probly get the same service. (Most likely cheeper too). Is Verizon starting to treat their customers like Microsoft and have us be the testing? If that be the case, show me the money or give us a discount.

0 Likes
Lonegreyhat

I was having horrendous data connectivity issues with my bionic... the problem seems to stem from the power management software. Set your bionic's battery mode to "performance mode" and enable data roaming. Reboot. This has solved all of my data connectivity issues as my bionic switches between 4G/3G/2G flawlessly now - it's performance is actually significantly better than my old fascinate. Hope this helps!

0 Likes